xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 'minor' Damage While Modding  (Read 118 times)

chopps

• Archived User
'minor' Damage While Modding
« on: May 21, 2004, 11:34:00 AM »

I'm not sure where to post this, I guess if there was a repair forum it would go in there, but as I can't find one and I did it while preparing for a TSOP flash I'll stick it in here.

On a 1.0 box, while shorting the top points, I managed to get enough heat on the short points to dislodge the surface mount capacitor (or resistor?) and get it standing on its end, on just one of the pads.  While trying to get it in its original flat position, it stuck to my iron and then either vapourised or flew off. Either way it's gone.

Q1:  I can get a spare, but I don't know what it was? Cap value/voltage or resistor? Anyone know?

Q2: I put all the drives back in, flashed it and it works fine. I'm hoping its only used for the LPC port and is therefore no big deal.  I didn't trace it as by the time it was all back together and working, my mate (who's box it is) had to leave.  Can he manage without it?

Anyway, REALLY bad pic drawn in MS Paint to show location, is below. I'd appreciate any ideas.
(IMG:http://www.southcheshire.co.uk/images/bugger.JPG)

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 12:30:00 PM »

QUIT POSTING THE SAME THING ALL OVER THE PLACE!

It's RUDE!

I've already answered you.

chopps

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 01:00:00 PM »

It was twice, and I already apologised/explained.

colibri

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 11:42:00 PM »

ok dude.. i have done this b4 and it seems to be okay at times.. i've only needed to find another one to reflash.. but if you leave it open it will eventually cause trouble, if you leave it close with solder it will eventually case problems.. best bet is to get one of a broken mobo it's a 10k ohm resister, or so i was told but the radio shack type is big and hard to get on there right, vertically..  

chopps

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 02:12:00 AM »

Thanks for the info.  Fortunately, I can get 10Kohm 0402 and 0603 resistors from work so I don't have to tit about with old boards. I have reels and reels of them.  I just couldn't trace where the track went due to time constraints (the guy wanted his box back in a hurry), and I couldn't measure the resistance as I lost the chip.

I'm positive it's not needed for flashing, as I flashed with the chip missing and with no bridge in the gap that was left.

When I get time, I'll open up another 1.0 and have a look where it goes.

Thx

This post has been edited by chopps: May 22 2004, 09:13 AM

colibri

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 02:18:00 AM »

to the left of where the points are bridged.. oh i remeber why i couldn't flash.. i ended up using a triple000 resistor i got off an amr modem because my xbox kept fragging and freezing.. after i used the resistor it stopped.. but when i wanted to flash again it gave me a flash not writable then i was like heck with it fix it right you know..LoL