xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Stuck In Safe Ode  (Read 184 times)

pj3101

• Archived User
Stuck In Safe Ode
« on: October 24, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »

Hi, I installed my Xenium Ice a couple of years ago and it worked fine until recently. It started to frag and I tried reconnecting everything. I finally got it to boot into safe mode instead of fragging. NOw i cant figure out to do. It says "Loading... recovered from hdd." then it shuts off and when i turn it on it does the same thing. can some one help? thanks.

edit: Safe Mode

This post has been edited by pj3101: Oct 25 2007, 12:14 AM

CJLee89

• Archived User
Stuck In Safe Ode
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »

flick the switch on the chip.

pj3101

• Archived User
Stuck In Safe Ode
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »

now I have now audio or video. the xbox doesn't frag thoug, but there is no av

gogniben

• Archived User
Stuck In Safe Ode
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »

If you can get in using safe mode what you need to do is go to xodus and download the XeniumOS and put it on the chip (your current installation is most likely hosed).  Make sure you get the latest *stable* version.  Don't go for a beta version or something like that.

QuimbyDogg

• Archived User
Stuck In Safe Ode
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »

Hey.  I JUST had this problem happen to me, not really sure what caused it.

I can't give much background, sadly, because I haven't been following xbox mods for sometime.  I was a heavy follower of the scene about five years ago when I first did my box with a xenium chip.

edit** just saw my sig didn't realize it had stats in it.  The modchip type is probably correct but I am not sure if I changed the BIOS since then.  Also I don't run avalaunch dash anymore, just XBMC.

I have a test tomorrow so I was gonna watch a movie before bed.  I put my DVD into my computer DVD drive and turned on my xbox.  I usually stream my movies over the network from my PC because I don't like using the Xbox drive to read cds.  I believe it scratched some of mine way back in the day before I added a harddrive, I also don't like adding extra wear to the laser which isn't necessary.

I went to play the movie from my DVD share and it never loaded and appeared to be hung so I turned off my xbox.  I turned it back on and got the xenium safemode screen.  I had no clue what it was, hadn't ever seen it before, and it said a message it loaded something from the HD.  I was confused but it didn't seem to be doing anything so I powered it off.  I tried to power it on again and got no response from AV cables.  The modchip light was on normal, green LED on front of xbox was on like normal.  I was extremely confused since I never encountered anything like this... I would have expected fragging...

I found this thread right away, lucky me, that mentioned the switch on the modchip (I didn't even remember it having).   I haven't opened my xbox up for at least 2 years+ now and it did feel really good to get my hands back inside an xbox again smile.gif  I flipped to safe mode, turned on xbox, got the safemode screen saying it recovered from HD (same random screen I saw earlier)--I decided to wait a while longer this time since I was expecting it....then it shut down on its own (I probably flipped it off a few seconds before when I ran into the problem earlier).  I flipped switch back to normal position on the chip, turned on the xbox and all looks well again.

The hardest problem I had was trying to get the case back on the top of xbox believe it or not.

I am not really sure what caused this problem.  It seems like the BIOS on the chip got corrupted somehow but I didn't do anything that would have done flashing towards the chip, just running standard software.  Eitherway, I am glad the chip was able to recover itself.  Would have sucked if I had to buy a new chip and relearn how to do a new installation or spend days looking into information when the fix only took about 10 minutes smile.gif     I love this forum, it is still extremely helpful after all these years....