xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Left Unplugged For 6 Weeks  (Read 160 times)

gogniben

• Archived User
Xbox Left Unplugged For 6 Weeks
« on: October 18, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »

It's hard to say what happened.  But here are somethings to try.

1. Does the XeniumOS come up when you push the eject button?  If it does then the chip is OK.
2. To enter recovery mode there is a switch on the chip.  I don't think that holding eject will enable it.
3. If you can get to XeniumOS try flashing with latest x2 bios 5035.  It has the date/time fix.
4. If you can ftp to your xbox: rename the default dash "xboxdash.xbe.bak".  Now whatever dash you want to boot (say EvolutionX) have that in the same directory (c:\) and name that "xboxdash.xbe".
5. It is always possible that the chip is somehow loose or faulty.  Open up your xbox and reseat it.  Just be careful that you ground yourself before touching, don't walk across carpet while holding it, etc.

Hope this helps.

dclayw

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 01:02:00 AM »

I'm resurrecting my old thread on this "xbox left unpugged" problem as I'm continuing to have problems. See the first post for initial description of the problem. This is Xenium ICE chip on v1.1 xbox.

I thought I had fixed the problem by reseating the D0 wire (this is a solderless install using the blue adapter). But "fixing" the problem by reseating D0 was just a conincidence. The xbox will boot to XBMC several times, maybe even for a day or two, but then it will only boot to M$ dash, as if there is no chip installed. I can reset the date/time in M$ dash but this doesn't achieve anything. If I just remove the chip and then replace it the xbox will boot to XBMC, for a short time, then will revert to only booting to M$ dash. This is reproducible, every time I have the problem I can remove/replace the chip and I'm back online. This isn't an acceptable solution though.

I have had the xbox connected to one of those (expensive) surge protecting power boards for a few years now and I have heard this can cause problems as the xbox isn't getting enough current or whatever when it's turned off. But I never had this problem until I unplugged for 6 weeks. I've now had the xbox plugged directly into a power socket (bypassing the surge protector) and it's been OK for 5-6 days now, much longer then previously. Doesn't prove the problem is solved but at least might be getting somewhere. (I would ofcourse rather have the xbox plugged into the surge protector).

What is the best way to workaround this problem? Continualy removing/replacing the chip is not a solution, and sooner or later I will have to cut the power to the xbox for an extended time. I've read that some later BIOS or later version of Xenium OS can get around this problem. I have not changed BIOS or Xenium OS since installation. It's running with BIOS X2 4983.67 and Xenium OS v2.0 Pre Release. I'm not sure what BIOS or Xenium OS I should move to, not even sure which ons are available anymore. There were some suggestions given below by gogniben but not sure if that info is still current.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

steveo1978

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 02:13:00 AM »

if the problem is fixed after resitting the chip/adapter then have you tried cleaning the connections maybe they have got tarnished or something

and a surge protector doesnt lower the power going into the xbox it just prevents power surges from destroying your equipment

dclayw

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 04:05:00 AM »

I cleaned all the connections not that long ago. Removed the chip and adapter, it all looked in pretty good order.

I read about the surge protector issue several months ago. The idea is that slight variations that can occur in voltage/power/current or whatever when running through a protector as opposed to not running through one can cause some components/devices to fail/behave differently. I'm not saying this is the case as it seems a bit far fetched to me. But I thought I'd give it a go and I'm just reporting what I am seeing with my own equipment. The thing is that the Xenium chip in my xbox "seems" to run OK when the xbox is plugged directly into a wall socket, but does not run OK when the xbox is run through the surge protector. I'm a bit skeptical ofcourse and I would need to do more exhaustive testing to make any kind of judgement. (I've also read about people having similar issues with third party xbox cables.)

Anyway, what's causing the problem is one issue. The other issue is an easier way to recover from the problem. Currently I have to remove the chip and replace it to recover. I''m looking for a better way, either/or later OS, BIOS or any other suggestions.

ldotsfan

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 08:25:00 AM »

Solder d0