xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xenium Spice No Os  (Read 54 times)

CJLee89

• Archived User
Xenium Spice No Os
« on: May 10, 2006, 09:44:00 AM »

recover the chip and see if that works!!

JonBOY

• Archived User
Xenium Spice No Os
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 09:49:00 PM »

So let me get this straight, you decided to change some settings but encountered the problem with launching the XOS before you were able to do so, is that right?

Did you change any settings in another dashboard? if so,

1) what dashboard were you in?

2) what settings did you change? were they video settings?

What you have sounds like EEPROM troubles

As far as the games locking up goes, what you should have tried first was using your dashboards file manager to navigate to 'E:\cache' then deleting the cache files inside. Sometimes these cache files cause problems with playback of certain games, typically causing the game to lock up exactly as you said, usually when you try to load a profile or something off the HDD.

So at present what is the situation?

you can't boot Xenium OS but you can boot a dash? what dash? what bios do you have flashed to your chip?

Also, have you by any chance in the past used XOS to back up your 'EEPROM to .bin'.

If not, what country are you located in? (is your box NTSC or PAL?)

JonBOY

• Archived User
Xenium Spice No Os
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 11:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(dingo24 @ May 15 2006, 05:29 AM) View Post

I'm in Australia, so PAL.

So if you thinks it's the Eeprom, how do I fix that?
Oh, and no I didn't change any settings.
can't boot Xenium OS but can boot an XEvolution dash.

system currently running quite happily with the original HDD, but this isn't what I want. I want the features of the chip back.

So any further thoughts?

Ok well first up let me tell you that working with EEPROM is very dangerous. However like you said you want to use the ful features of the chip so you're going to need to do something.

Firstly, we want to see if there's an EEPROM backup on your HDD already. Launch evox and go to the filemanager. Nivigate to your E drive and see if there is a file called 'EEPROM.bin', or 'EEPROMbackup.bin'. If so, FTP into your xbox from your PC and copy this file to your PC. If there's no EEPROM.bin, proceed to the next step.

Get yourself a copy of the xbox app called ConfigMagic. Install this as an app in your E drive and launch it. Once you get to the configmagic menu (after accepting all the warnings!) you'll see a list of options down the left hand side. have a look for the locking status of the HDD, if it's unlocked...good, if its locked try and unlock it. Unlocking will likely fail though if your EEPROM is bung. If it does manage to unlock it, exit configmagic and try booting XOS again. If it didn't help come back to here.

If there was no EEPROM.bin backup in your E drive, we should now create backups. Attempt to create a backup. This creates three back up files, 'EEPROMbackup' in a .bin, a .txt and a .cfg file if I remember correctly. FTP these files to your PC for backup purposes. I suspect though that you may be an error message when it tries to read your EEPROM (since it appears to be corrupt).

So at this stage you should have either 1) found an existing EEPROM.bin backup in your E drive and copied it to your PC, or 2) generated a set of backups since none existed and copied those to your PC, or 3) have tried to gerenate a set of backups but the backup failed due to corrupt EEPROM.

If you got scenerio 1, load Configmagic and check the HDD status, if its locked, try unlock it. Then select the restore EEPROM function. I'm a bit sketchy from here as to the exact particulars, but you need to tell it to restore from the EEPROM.bin located in the root of the E drive. Hopefully the EEPROM restore will go smoothly. After the restore, investigate your boxes functions, see if XOS is working and see if EvoX is still bootable.    

If you got scenerio 2 or 3, you're going to need to get a hold of another EEPROM to use as a temporary fix. PM me your email address if that's the case. Lucky for you I happen to have an Australian v1.4 EEPROM on hand. Be advised though, the idea behind using this EEPROM is to get back your ability to boot XOS. Once XOS is back, the plan would be to restore the EEPROM again from the EEPROM backup stored in the chips memory. If you didn't back up your EEPROM to the chip, your current EEPROM will be gone. As such you'll be stuck using the EEPROM I send you which won't let you play xbox live (that's if playing Live is important to you).