xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Two Different Boot Errors  (Read 56 times)

Heykrop

• Archived User
Two Different Boot Errors
« on: January 22, 2004, 07:08:00 PM »

Can an improper soldering job with the pins affect the Xbox even without a modchip in? Could I have done damage by exposing the motherboard to heat (15 W soldering iron) for too long (the install took almost 5 hrs.)?

YES and YES

Check you make sure that ther are no bridged pins.  There could be a build up of solder under the black plastic pin retainer.  Use a good quality meter to test. Just because you can't see a bridge doesn't mean there isn't one.  There can still be a micro bridge ( a bridge of solder that is as thin or thinner than a hair.)  That's all it would take to get a frag.

Even a 15 W iron could do damage if exposed for a significant ammount of time and I'd say 5 hours would probably be significant.    

Just because the pins seem in well that does not mean that they have a sufficient connection.  Make sure that the solder is well adhered to the LPC pads.  

Good luck.  

Let me know how it goes.  If you can not get it fixed I may be interested in buying the dead box and or the Xenium. That is if you wanted to part with them at that point.