xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: On, Off, On, Off, On, Frag!  (Read 42 times)

--DANNY--

• Archived User
On, Off, On, Off, On, Frag!
« on: April 07, 2005, 05:32:00 AM »

I just got done completing a couple mods.

I took apart my xbox, got rid of the shilding, and mounted a switch in the back for a secondary HD. I've been told that the inner metal shielding is useless, so I tossed it.
I had previously has my X2.6 installed via wires. It was mounted on the side of the shielding, so I took it off, and desoldered the wires, and reinstalled the chip with a pinheader, only using the pins that were in the corresponding place of a wire from the previous wire install. So I ended up with 10 pins, and it should work considering it's connecting ALL of the same points to the same place on the chip, so I put that in there, and plugged the d0 / hdd and lan activity wire harness in there, and the wires from the front switch. Connected everything up, and turned my xbox on to see it Turn ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON, then FRAG! No video or audio signal whatsoever.

When my switch i set to disabled, it boots the MS dash perfectly and I can use my it as a stock xbox. But whenever I enable the chip, it turnss on off on off on FRAG!

What's going on?

This is how I have my pinheader setup and installed... this is the view from the top of the mobo...

user posted image

ANY help is highly appreciated!
Thanks,
-Danny

ctgene

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 08:03:00 AM »

You didn't mention which ver box you were using...but 1.0 to 1.5 you would need a 16 pin pin header with pins 4 and 16 removed...with a 1.6/1.6b you would remove pin 6 in addition....looking at your diagram, you just don;t have the right amount of pins soldered in...go to teamexecuter and check out the install tut for a 2.6

--DANNY--

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 07:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(ctgene @ Apr 7 2005, 05:09 AM)
You didn't mention which ver box you were using...but 1.0 to 1.5 you would need a 16 pin pin header with pins 4 and 16 removed...with a 1.6/1.6b you would remove pin 6 in addition....looking at your diagram, you just don;t have the right amount of pins soldered in...go to teamexecuter and check out the install tut for a 2.6

acemilo

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 08:03:00 PM »

That shielding is NOT useless.  It cuts out rf interference as well as acts as a ground for the mobo.  First thing I would do is put that back.  Next, try booting with the chip out and see what happens.  If it frags something isn't soldered right.  You should also check your voltages, the correct ones are in my sig.

Ok hold on I noticed when  you turn it off that it boots normally.  This tells me that its the lpc thats the problem.  I'm going to assume that the chip is functional since it was installed with wires and you merely moved it to pin header.  First put the shielding back, see if that works.  If not, then definitely check your voltages as one or more aren't soldered right.  Also, you may want to go ahead and put the rest of the pins in.

--DANNY--

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 08:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(acemilo @ Apr 7 2005, 05:09 PM)
That shielding is NOT useless.  It cuts out rf interference as well as acts as a ground for the mobo.  First thing I would do is put that back.  Next, try booting with the chip out and see what happens.  If it frags something isn't soldered right.  You should also check your voltages, the correct ones are in my sig.

--DANNY--

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 09:09:00 PM »

Hey, my little brother want's to buy a refurbished xbox. If he buys a refurbished xbox, and I give him mine with my stock HD, and no mod chip, then it would work perfecly right? Because my xbox will work fine when the chip is disabled.

So then I would get the refurbished xbox he buys, and use a pinheader to install a chip in it, because it most likely wont be a v1.0 xbox, then put my new 250 gb HD ive been using in it. That would work right?

And if the refurbished xbox has never been on LIVE before, then I'll be able to do account recovery to use my LIVE account on it, because I still havent been able to go on LIVE with my new HD, if i do ill get banned.

Does this plan sound like it will work?

If it does ill be doing it tonight.

Thanks,
-Danny

acemilo

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 09:56:00 PM »

Its still your soldering.  I've helped as much as I can until you test your points with a multimeter, the correct voltages are in my sig.  Check em and get back to me.

--DANNY--

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 10:28:00 PM »

well... considering that I have a pinheader covering the lpc holes can I just use the pinheader pins to test the voltage of the lpc holes?

-Danny

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 10:34:00 PM »

Ya thats the point of it all, to verify that you have the correct voltages AT YOUR PINS, thus confirming your solder job.

--DANNY--

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 10:45:00 PM »

Wait, I'm confused as to what setting I am supposed to use on my multimeter.

user posted image

What setting should I use?

-Danny

--DANNY--

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 10:57:00 PM »

Use the setting that is selected in the picture above.

These are my readings...

1 - 1.5v
2 - 0v
3 - 4.11v
5 - 4.11v
6 - 6.37v
7 - 4.11v
8 - 4.11v
9 - 4.11v
10 - 4.11v
11 - 4.11v
12 - 0v
15 - 4.11v

Those readings are without my DVD drive, HDD, or fan connected.

Is that correct? Anything wrong?

Thanks,
-Danny

acemilo

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 11:06:00 PM »

Well I don't know if you set it right, but it looks like you did.  Anyway, just about all of those voltages are wrong.  Compare them with the ones in my sig, where you are getting 4.1 you should get 3.3.

--DANNY--

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2005, 11:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(acemilo @ Apr 7 2005, 08:12 PM)
Well I don't know if you set it right, but it looks like you did.  Anyway, just about all of those voltages are wrong.  Compare them with the ones in my sig, where you are getting 4.1 you should get 3.3.

--DANNY--

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 02:37:00 AM »

^
Anyone?

--DANNY--

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 05:14:00 AM »

Well... I posted in the BST forum for a perfect condition v1.0 motherboard, and that I'm willing to trade for my mobo w/ messed up lpc traces and $10.

I also need a pinheader.

If your interested look up my thread in the BST section...

So I obviously don't need any more help on this, unless you know how to easily fix my problem.

-Danny