xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Reflashing A Spidergx  (Read 115 times)

otherguy

• Archived User
Reflashing A Spidergx
« on: January 11, 2006, 12:45:00 AM »

hello everyone, I've got a little problem that i'd appreciate any input on.

A client of mine had purchased a spiderGX and I agreed to install it. I've used an xecuter lpc rebuild (Xbox version 1.6) instead of the crappy spider leg adapter. The chip powered on fine and i was connecting to it through the "web OS".
I was trying to flash a bios to the thing, but no matter which one i chose, be it a 256kb bios or a 512kb bios, they all failed. The chip would go through the flashing procedure, after it reached the third step on the T.V. it would display an error message which appeared to be bitching about some hex values not maching. The value it has and the one which was accepted was consistantly off by one. Following this line was the phrase "Please try again." Needless to say none of the banks seemed to be flashable.
Since there was this off by one error, i assumed it was an error in the code, and attempted an update of the OS (used spiderosv112.bgx). Unfortunately the same problem resulted. I got the off by one message and the "Please try again" message following that. I tried three more times with the same problem each time. So i rebooted...

Apparently even though the reflash didn't go through the OS was still erased, so not the chip frags on startup.
Which brings me to my question:

Is there any way to reflash this chip through a hotswap or equivalent? I dont have another SpiderGX around (otherwise i would have tried that).

Thanks in advance.
-otherguy

HackDaBox

• Archived User
Reflashing A Spidergx
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 05:22:00 AM »

Hello otheguy ,

howz things ?

Have you tried booting off the special bios on bank 2 ? even if you killed the OS somehow the special bios on bank 2 might boot ! Set the jumpers like this and give it a try ...

(IMG:http://www.hackdabox.com/Spider%20GX%20Bank%202.jpg)

Otherwise heres my Spider GX Hotswap guide...

hmm seems a bit of a hard problem but atleast you have rebuilt the lpc making it a little easier. I guess i would grab a normal solderless chip ( spiderchip v1.0/ V1.1 ) or another LPC based modchip and a solderless adaptor designed for a V1.0 -V1.5 ( as the lpc has been fixed anyway ) and screw it down nice and snug and boot the xbox with this other chip. Now CAREFULLY using a insulated screw driver unscrew and remove the LPC based solderless modchip and place the spider gx on the lpc CAREFULLY and screw the bugger in !

Phew - now try to flash the bios , i am not sure what will flash that flashrom as i haven't checked it yet ! Your best bet would be flashbios unauthorised i guess. Man i wish all these buggers had a female pinheader soldered to them like my Spider GX HackDaBox Custom one has !

HackDaBox !

PS if you can get this one done then maybe you would be interested in doing Spider GX hotswap flashes for many people on these forums that seem to have Spider GX's with no working bios ???

This post has been edited by HackDaBox: Jan 11 2006, 01:45 PM

otherguy

• Archived User
Reflashing A Spidergx
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 06:50:00 PM »

thanks for the help. After a few ehours of attempting different things i finally got it to work. I'll prob. post up a how-to later tonight, i actually had the forsight to take pictures!

Anyways.. this chip is a pain in the ass, i wish thier boxes wern't so pretty... maybe people wouldn't buy them if that were the case.

HackDaBox

• Archived User
Reflashing A Spidergx
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 05:44:00 AM »

Man i am dying to read the how to ... Please do post a how to with pics that would be awesome !

Glad you got it sorted. Yeah the packaging is the spider gx's best feature !

HackDaBox !