xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Successful Chipping And Replacing Broken Hard Drive  (Read 68 times)

loCache

• Archived User
Successful Chipping And Replacing Broken Hard Drive
« on: December 20, 2005, 02:09:00 PM »

about a month ago i wrecked my nieces x-box trying to do a hard drive swap soft mod... i guess i unplugged it too soon because on my 3rd try at unlocking the hard drive i got an error 7...

after much googling i found that it was either an IDE Cable problem or my hard drive was stuffed... unfortunately it turned out to be the  latter... a couple forums said that the only way to fix it would be to get it chipped.. so i got online and with some memories lingering of failed soldering attempts of the past i ordered the first solderless chip i found: the Spider GX. frome divineo... so it arrived yesturday after a month of anticipation (i live in the south pacific so mail from Canada is kind of slow.) meanwile i find a couple forums with horror stories about how terrible Spider chips are and i begin to worry... especially since the official instructions seem to ignore 3 out of the 4 pieces of equipment that appear to come packaged together ....

Thank God for Hackdabox -- you da man!!!.... following his guides and a little common sense (every where it says you should see original Dashboard i expected the dreaded Error 7) once all the spider menu popped up and i finnished flashing the bios... i unplugged my broken hard drive in and plugged in the new (which had  refirbished in big blue letters written on it) 180 Gig WD hard drive in switched on bank 3 and viola!  error 13 message...
{edit: actually  i needed to Plug in the working hard drive first in order for the Menu to come up at all , otherwise it would just hang forever}

after i crapped my pants a little i had a weird idea... back when i successfully soft modded my old x-box i made a back up of that hard drive.. then i thought i'll make this look like the old hard drive and coppy the bios config file onto the E drive (that was also in the instructions ) so i disconnected the hard drive plugged it into my external casing, formatted it and copy'd over my old folders .. upon unplugging the hard drive i then realized that the jumper was still in (either Master or slave i  forget) and no jumper was supposed to mean  cable select, so i chucked out the jumper plugged it in and thru in the Slayers 2.6 evox installer... and it booted up perfectly....

now it's working like a charm(not exactly, see below) ... i'd like to think it was my intuitive copying of the folders that did it but i'm 99% sure it was the eventual following of Hackdabox's instructions and removing the jumper....

Only problem i'm having now is launching games and apps from the dashboard..(hangs on loading screen, but booting up with backups works great)  i have a feeling it' s either me needing to create and Appz and Gamez Folder on the E: (or F: , which is where it put all my space) either that or it's the x2config file... any suggestions?...

Thanks again HackDaBox!