xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dual Boot  (Read 850 times)

boon147

• Archived User
Dual Boot
« on: July 08, 2009, 05:56:00 AM »

Afternoon all,

I am sorry for the stupid question but i cant seem to find a definitive answer to it, all i can find is how to dual boot using the Softmod,...

Right basically, i have a SmartXX v2 which has the x5035 bios installed, ED On the Chip on another bank, and another bank is free. It also has options for Linux on the main OS menu. Can i install Linux in parallel to my existing xbox config, and then boot it from the Linux menu?

The reason i ask is because its a media centre and i now want to use it as a decent web browser also.

The only issue is that other guides i have found, appers to replace the filing system making it unreadable for the xbox?

Im totally new to Linux, and if possible, want to utilise the Linux menu within my Smart XX OS.

Finally, is it a case of FTP'ing files over, or do i need to run an actual Linux install?

This post has been edited by boon147: Jul 8 2009, 01:00 PM

ldotsfan

• Archived User
Dual Boot
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 06:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(boon147 @ Jul 8 2009, 07:56 PM) View Post

The reason i ask is because its a media centre and i now want to use it as a decent web browser also.

The only issue is that other guides i have found, appers to replace the filing system making it unreadable for the xbox?

Im totally new to Linux, and if possible, want to utilise the Linux menu within my Smart XX OS.

Finally, is it a case of FTP'ing files over, or do i need to run an actual Linux install?

1. A loopback install will leave the FATX partitions intact so that XBMC still works.
2. Better luck in the linux forum here - your questions are not really specific to SmartXX.
3.  ftp'ing files over then a loopback install.

Linux can boot from the xromwell XBE as well as cromwell BIOS. I'm not sure how that works with SmartXX OS.

boon147

• Archived User
Dual Boot
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »

Cheers mate,

Mods - Can you please move this to the Linux forum? I was going to paste a link but dont want to cause extra hassle and confusion,...

Thanks!