xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: X-chip Overheating?  (Read 46 times)

cravavar3

• Archived User
X-chip Overheating?
« on: August 02, 2004, 10:14:00 AM »

Overheating of the X-Chip is normal, all xilinx type modchips output alot of heat when in use.

When you switch the bios are you sure you selecting the right bank, also if goes directed to cromwell can equal a corrupted bios written.

As for usb issues, does the device manager show the driver for X-Chip and/or does the X control software acknowleges a conection.

RogueXP

• Archived User
X-chip Overheating?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 05:32:00 PM »

QUOTE (cravavar3 @ Aug 2 2004, 06:17 PM)
Overheating of the X-Chip is normal, all xilinx type modchips output alot of heat when in use.

When you switch the bios are you sure you selecting the right bank, also if goes directed to cromwell can equal a corrupted bios written.

As for usb issues, does the device manager show the driver for X-Chip and/or does the X control software acknowleges a conection.

I don't know, it's getting VERY hot and in just one particular spot.  I'm pretty certain something is wrong with it.  I've requested and RMA for an exchange from EB2K.

I actually have the EvoX M8 BIOS flashed to two different banks just because I initially thought it might be a bad flash, although prior to this problem, it was working just fine.  I could select the BIOS, choose Switch to BIOS and the EvoX BIOS would boot just fine.  It just suddenly stopped doing so and then when I was trying to reflash it, I noticed that the chip got very hot, even when it was disconnected from the Xbox and only connected to the USB adapter.  Also, X-Control never had any problem prior to all of this either.

All in all, I'm fairly certain it's a bad chip.  Guess I'll just have to wait for the replacement.  Damn.

Thanks for the help though.

christineyoung

• Archived User
X-chip Overheating?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 06:49:00 PM »

If its the postage stamp sized chip( XILINX ), it will get very hot, 5 Volts flowing through it when power applied to xbox.

When conneceted to USB will not be as hot as only getting 3 Volts.

BTW, you like sticking your fingures on live electronics???? Very dangerous!!!!!!!! One slip and can get feed 120 V. NOT PLEASANT!  Also, when live power, resistance from hands on pins "could" cause a short and kill code on XILINX.

If your getting power surge when USB connected, look at the white connectors and blue cable and make sure 100% connected snug.

If you applied for a  RMA at eb2k, i can garauntee you will feel the heat of chip on replacement as well, as both mine do and my chameleon modchips as well.  Almost like putting fingure on stove burner the feeling of heat.