xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Is This The Notorious "red Frag" Issue?  (Read 305 times)

agonelpagliaio

• Archived User
Is This The Notorious "red Frag" Issue?
« on: April 15, 2006, 11:13:00 AM »

hi there,

I have an xbox 1.0 modded with an X-BIT chip (solderless) and running XBMC as dashboard, the bios I installed more than a year ago is EVOX but I don't remember which version (I see the EVOX logo during boot and then XBMC starts).

well, sometimes my xbox doesn't want to boot: the xbox powers on for a second and then it powers off, a second after it powers on by itself again and after a second it powers off again, a second after it powers by itself on once more for the third time, I can hear the hard drive reading or writing something and finally it hangs while the eject led cycles from green to red.

sometimes, during this process, the splash screen with the EVOX logo is displayed but then it won't boot XBMC.

if I keep trying to power the xbox on, it will finally boot and eventually it won't bother me for couple of weeks or so, but then the problem will come back.

for example today I'm not succeeding in making it boot while yesterday night it was running perfecly when I powered it off, I disconnected the power supply and went to bed; this morning here the problem comes.

I have the feeling it could depend on my bios: what do you think about?

Is this the notorious "red frag" issue?

I was thinking about flashing it with an updated and stable one; reading on the forum it seems that the best ones are X2 and IND: will both of them run on my X-BIT?

my choice at the moment would be the latest IND: what do you think about?

thanks a lot and best regards,
marco

This post has been edited by agonelpagliaio: Apr 15 2006, 06:23 PM

Silentscream__

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 02:22:00 PM »

highly doubt its a bios issue, to be honest its sounds like a dodgy D0 connection.

Try reseating the chip, cleaning and scraping the D0 point.

RensoreK

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 03:58:00 PM »

I have the EXACT same issue and I cant get the XBIT chip to load a proper BIOS so I can boot. I have the same symptons but no video on screen.

DrawLT

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 06:41:00 AM »

I'm 90% sure that this is not a hardware problem since the stop,start,frag all occurs prior to the initiation of even the bios.

Silentscream_ is probably right,

If you aren't reaching the bios let alone any sort of splash screen and are getting the stop start, followed by frag (red/green eject light cycling) then you need to open up your xbox and reposition the D0 connection.  To be on the safe side, I would check all of the contact points.  You can check that it is working prior to closing your xbox simply by reconnecting everything without screwing things in.  Nothing worse than dealing with all those screws and still not having fixed the problem.

*** if you did not mod your xbox yourself there are some good tutorials for all types of chip in the xbox-scene tutorials section, usually complete with pictures to show you where the contact points are for things such as the D0.  They're so small that I always have to double check with one of these pictures whenever I do an install. ***

Good Luck.