xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Frustration Overflowing, Lpc Melting... X (  (Read 321 times)

Sentry Robot

• Archived User
Frustration Overflowing, Lpc Melting... X (
« on: December 29, 2005, 10:41:00 PM »

Ok, I'm modding my 1.0 xbox with a xbit 1.5 chip. Obviously the lpc holes are filled, so I went to get a desoldering iron from radioshack. I got out about 5 of them, the others are only partially removed. When I say partially removed, I mean that I only got the top layer of solder. My desoldering iron's tip isnt small enough to get down in the middle of the hole. I took the motherboard out, and tried the other side but I ended up almost melting the board itself.

I've tried everything, including red-hot sewing needles, safety pins, and even hammering the solder through the other side. Is it possible to still use the chip over the solder? When I tried it before any of the solder was removed I only got a red/green light and a mocking squeek. I have a bios loaded, so that's not the problem.

*update*

I just put everything back together and tried it,  i got nothing but the ged/green light. There is no picture or error message, just a blank screen. I even took the mod chip out and made sure all the xbox connections were right, and it's still beeping. I'm not sure if I messed up my motherboard or something but it might be screwed.

So, any suggestions? Please?

This post has been edited by Sentry Robot: Dec 30 2005, 07:07 AM

Silentscream__

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 04:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(Sentry Robot @ Dec 30 2005, 05:12 AM) View Post

Ok, I'm modding my 1.0 xbox with a xbit 1.5 chip. Obviously the lpc holes are filled, so I went to get a desoldering iron from radioshack. I got out about 5 of them, the others are only partially removed. When I say partially removed, I mean that I only got the top layer of solder. My desoldering iron's tip isnt small enough to get down in the middle of the hole. I took the motherboard out, and tried the other side but I ended up almost melting the board itself.

I've tried everything, including red-hot sewing needles, safety pins, and even hammering the solder through the other side. Is it possible to still use the chip over the solder? When I tried it before any of the solder was removed I only got a red/green light and a mocking squeek. I have a bios loaded, so that's not the problem.

*update*

I just put everything back together and tried it,  i got nothing but the ged/green light. There is no picture or error message, just a blank screen. I even took the mod chip out and made sure all the xbox connections were right, and it's still beeping. I'm not sure if I messed up my motherboard or something but it might be screwed.

So, any suggestions? Please?

Sounds like you messed up the motherboard.. If you were prepared to try and desolder why didnt you just buy a normal chip and solder it in??

anyway, the best thing to do now would be to probably get your board repaired (or if you think you can manage, have a go yourself) you will need to remove the solder from the LPC points, use braid, it works much nicer than a desoldering iron, and solder in a pinheader.
Then you will need to find a diagram of the alternative LPC points on the motherboard, and connect these points to the pin in the corresponding point.

I hope this makes sense

Sentry Robot

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 08:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(Silentscream__ @ Dec 30 2005, 06:54 AM) *

Sounds like you messed up the motherboard.. If you were prepared to try and desolder why didnt you just buy a normal chip and solder it in??

anyway, the best thing to do now would be to probably get your board repaired (or if you think you can manage, have a go yourself) you will need to remove the solder from the LPC points, use braid, it works much nicer than a desoldering iron, and solder in a pinheader.
Then you will need to find a diagram of the alternative LPC points on the motherboard, and connect these points to the pin in the corresponding point.

I hope this makes sense

Well, I figured that a solderless chip wouldn't be such a pain in the ass to install. I was wrong. I think I could have soldered it in a lot faster than what I will have to do now. I have some buddies of mine who do this kind of thing for a living, computer engineering that is. So, hopefully they can fix my broken traces.

About that pinheader though, is that just a fix for the messed up lpc? And can I still use my xbit 1.5 with it?

I have another xbox mobo, but I think that one is 1.0 too.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)  This may sound like a noobish question, but, can I just heat up the solder and stick the wires in? Because I don't want to accidentally burn my board again.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Vextor99

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 10:07:00 AM »

you can install a 1.5 xbit on a 1.0 motherboard. you just make sure that it makes contact with the d0. and make sure to plug in the dvd power adapter in to your xbit.

Silentscream__

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 09:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(Sentry Robot @ Dec 30 2005, 03:13 PM) View Post

I have another xbox mobo, but I think that one is 1.0 too.  dry.gif  This may sound like a noobish question, but, can I just heat up the solder and stick the wires in? Because I don't want to accidentally burn my board again.  unsure.gif

Course you can.
Easiest way to do it aswell.  smile.gif

Sentry Robot

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 11:54:00 AM »

The first reason I decided to take the solder out of the lpc was because even when the d0 was alligned perfectly I still got the red/green error. I figured that the lpc solder had to be removed to make good connection. So, what you are saying is that if I had another 1.0 mobo, I could just rest the pogo pins over the solder and still have the connection? Because I couldnt get it to boot my bios when it was over the solder...

I'm probably going to just solder it in though.

Silentscream__

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 06:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(Sentry Robot @ Dec 30 2005, 06:25 PM) View Post

The first reason I decided to take the solder out of the lpc was because even when the d0 was alligned perfectly I still got the red/green error. I figured that the lpc solder had to be removed to make good connection. So, what you are saying is that if I had another 1.0 mobo, I could just rest the pogo pins over the solder and still have the connection? Because I couldnt get it to boot my bios when it was over the solder...

I'm probably going to just solder it in though.

You can do that, but like youv already found out, the solder in the LPC makes it pretty difficult to align the chip properly.

It would probably be best just to solder - then you wont run into problems further down the line where every time you move your xbox, the chip comes out of place and has to be repositioned.