xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Is My Motherboard Bad?  (Read 312 times)

tarfelroy

• Archived User
Is My Motherboard Bad?
« on: October 07, 2005, 10:36:00 PM »

I have an xbox 1.5 and an x-bit 1.5.  160GB installed.  Has been working like this for a year.
Recently, the xbit light would not turn on and so it would not boot. I thought maybe the connection was bad.
Then it started fragging.
So, I opened it up, removed the chip, took an original hard drive and plugged it in.  Now, when I load it up, it gives me 06 (unlocked hard drive) error.

I read some posts about how the motherboard might be scratched and it could be crap.  Would this problem happen with a bad motherboard.

The original hard drive should be locked.  It came out of my friend's box. He had just installed an x-bit.

I can still connect to the chip.  But, when I try to put a bios on it, it just continues to erase the slot well above the amount of space on the slot.  I have used this computer before, but not for a while.  I hear there is a problem with USB 2.0.  Is my card screwed?

Am I screwed at this point?  Or should I see if I can line up the pins and put the x-bit back on?  

I just want to know if my motherboard is bad.  If it is not, then I can always buy a new chip.  I don't want to buy a new xbox.

Thanks in advance.

Silentscream__

• Archived User
Is My Motherboard Bad?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 04:34:00 AM »

Error 6 doesnt mean unlocked hard drive, it means that the hard drive in the xbox is locked to a different motherboard.

tarfelroy

• Archived User
Is My Motherboard Bad?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 09:42:00 PM »

Ok, that makes sense.  Except, I tried to use my old hard drive and received the same error.  Although, I'm not sure if that hd is still formatted for an xbox.

So, does that mean my motherboard is ok?

And does it sound like my chip is busted?

Alex548

• Recovered User
Is My Motherboard Bad?
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 09:53:00 PM »

Motherboard is okay. Your chip is dead. The error 6 was because you were using your friend's hard drive (which is locked to his motherboard).

Get a new chip and you'll be fine.

**Alex**

tarfelroy

• Archived User
Is My Motherboard Bad?
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 08:09:00 PM »

Thanks all.

I will order a new chip and hopefully I can get access to my hard drive again.

I appreciate the help.

Alex548

• Recovered User
Is My Motherboard Bad?
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 08:10:00 PM »

keep us updated....