xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Modchip Only Works When Hooked Up To The Pc  (Read 168 times)

prime2134

• Archived User
Modchip Only Works When Hooked Up To The Pc
« on: August 25, 2005, 07:45:00 AM »

Xbox 1.0
Modchip 1.5 USB
PC Xp laptop
This is my third xbox mod. I formatted and flashed the chip with a new bios (used this same bios on my xbox 1.0 worked great, Bois is for a +130g hd). After the flash I hit the power button and it booted with the logo in the corner. Then I put the slayer disk in and formatted the new 200g HD I put in. Everything worked. Started the dashboard from hard drive and ran xswitch to set EVO to default dashboard rebooted and worked. This is when I decide to move the xbox and realized the USB cable was plugged into the chip. Unplugged the chip and powered on the xbox no logo and the xbox flash red/green. Plug the USB cable back up and walla the xbox is back up with EVO. Any help please!!! :uhh:

This post has been edited by prime2134: Aug 25 2005, 02:46 PM

P1ckp0ck3t

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 07:01:00 PM »

Only thing I can think of is a power problem... try pluging in the optional power adaptor, it's the one that's the same as the DVD drive power plug except with a connector with a red and black wire coming out. The red/black connector goes on the chip, and the other two go on the mobo and DVD drive.

prime2134

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 08:44:00 PM »

thanks for the help. I plugged in the supplyed cable but still no luck..this chip works fine with the USB pluged in.. Only thing I can think of is the holes have solder still in them should I remove the solder?

This post has been edited by prime2134: Aug 29 2005, 03:50 AM

CHEFISHMAN

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 03:46:00 PM »

I also have the exact problem. My xbox works perfectlly if the usb cable is drawing power
1.3 xbox
1.5 xbit
I have the usb end of the chips programing wire plugged into controller port 4 with a 6 foot cable!
this is the ugliest mod cause of the wire. Am planning on soldering the chip in place and i have 2 question.
1.I have read that the green and brown wires need to be swapped to work? is this true for the xbit 1.5 solder install?
2.Isnt the do point supposed to be a hole in the board? because my do  point is at the end of a trace. The pic i was lookin at had the hole in the same spot and it was a hole.  Where my do is just a point, and i am afraid to solder the do.
3.Could i use an alternate do point, and will someone direct me to a pic of that alternate point?
Thanks  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
QUOTE(prime2134 @ Aug 29 2005, 03:15 AM) *

thanks for the help. I plugged in the supplyed cable but still no luck..this chip works fine with the USB pluged in.. Only thing I can think of is the holes have solder still in them should I remove the solder?

Silentscream__

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 09:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(CHEFISHMAN @ Dec 9 2005, 10:17 PM) View Post

I also have the exact problem. My xbox works perfectlly if the usb cable is drawing power
1.3 xbox
1.5 xbit
I have the usb end of the chips programing wire plugged into controller port 4 with a 6 foot cable!
this is the ugliest mod cause of the wire. Am planning on soldering the chip in place and i have 2 question.
1.I have read that the green and brown wires need to be swapped to work? is this true for the xbit 1.5 solder install?
2.Isnt the do point supposed to be a hole in the board? because my do  point is at the end of a trace. The pic i was lookin at had the hole in the same spot and it was a hole.  Where my do is just a point, and i am afraid to solder the do.
3.Could i use an alternate do point, and will someone direct me to a pic of that alternate point?
Thanks  biggrin.gif

The green and brown wires originally needed to be swapped for the 1.6 installation - DMS then fixed their diagrams (without pointing out that there was an error before and that they had now fixed it) so everyone is completely confused now.
Because you have a 1.3, you can completely forget about all of this.

To the original poster - it is possible that the chip is just not drawing power from the LPC because it isnt making good contact. try cleaning the points, or if possible, solder it in.

Solderless modchips are generally a waste of money and time, normally causing more problems in the long run.