xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Strange Happenin' Help Needed Pls  (Read 137 times)

fenrisx

• Archived User
Strange Happenin' Help Needed Pls
« on: July 30, 2005, 03:52:00 PM »

Ok..

I modded my neice's xbox back in November.. It was a Christmas present for her from my brother.  It's been fine since then.  Just the other day I was showing him how to use Qwix to upload backup.  When we rebooted the Xbox it took forever.  It finally loads to the game, but it takes ages.  Then the next day it gave him Error 21 screen.  Then it would just stay on the Splash screen forever.  

When I inserted the Slayer's disk it'd stay on the splash screen forever and then SLOWLY you can see the slayers screen come into view..but it's like watching a movie 1 frame at a time..changing ever 10 seconds or so.  The splash screen never fully went away, and the controls would not work.

We ended up reseating the chip, flashing another bios, and formatting the HD just to make sure everything was fine.  

Now it gives Error 5.  

What would you think the problem is, and how can I fix this?
I've got two broken Xboxs already from a bad solder..and so much fustration from this caused me to not mess with an Xbox anymore.  Went back to PC gaming.  But I told him I'd fix it for him.

It's an older version xbox with the Xbit 1.0 chip.  

Thanks

etrain1984

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 05:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(fenrisx @ Jul 30 2005, 05:27 PM)
Ok..

I modded my neice's xbox back in November.. It was a Christmas present for her from my brother.  It's been fine since then.  Just the other day I was showing him how to use Qwix to upload backup.  When we rebooted the Xbox it took forever.  It finally loads to the game, but it takes ages.  Then the next day it gave him Error 21 screen.  Then it would just stay on the Splash screen forever. 

When I inserted the Slayer's disk it'd stay on the splash screen forever and then SLOWLY you can see the slayers screen come into view..but it's like watching a movie 1 frame at a time..changing ever 10 seconds or so.  The splash screen never fully went away, and the controls would not work.

We ended up reseating the chip, flashing another bios, and formatting the HD just to make sure everything was fine. 

Now it gives Error 5. 

What would you think the problem is, and how can I fix this?
I've got two broken Xboxs already from a bad solder..and so much fustration from this caused me to not mess with an Xbox anymore.  Went back to PC gaming.  But I told him I'd fix it for him.

It's an older version xbox with the Xbit 1.0 chip. 

Thanks

This same thing happened to my friend's xbox.  The hard drive is locked.  You have to try and use slayer's to unlock it, which will take forever.  But, it can be done.  It worked after that.

etrain1984

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 06:30:00 PM »

After thinking about this some more I remembered that the HDD I was using when I had this problem had a bad sector. So if getting the drive unlocked doesnt work or isnt possible it might be worth investing in a new hard drive. They usually have some pretty good deals at best buy and circuit city with rebates. Hope this helps.

fenrisx

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 07:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(etrain1984 @ Jul 31 2005, 12:41 AM)
This same thing happened to my friend's xbox.  The hard drive is locked.  You have to try and use slayer's to unlock it, which will take forever.  But, it can be done.  It worked after that.

Slayers won't load up b/c the first thing happening is Error code 5.

Before it was error code 21 and then managed to have slayers load really really slow and the controller woudln't do anything...but that's not the case now.    It goes to Error Code 5 and the HD has since been formatted.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for the replies.

--

I'd also like to ad I tried 4 stock xbox HD"s that I had left from other modded xboxs.  They gave error codes 6 ..and some error code 7.

This post has been edited by fenrisx: Jul 31 2005, 02:19 AM

Silentscream__

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 04:13:00 AM »

Error 5 means the hard drive is UNLOCKED and the chip isnt installed properly - so the original xbox bios boots, and cant run with an unlocked hard drive, giving you an error 5.

You need to reaseat your chip  (d0 point in particular) and you should be ok.

Error code 6 means that the hard drive is locked to another xbox, which is why you got the errors when you tried hard drives from other xboxs.

Dra60nSlayer

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 09:05:00 AM »

i also seen this slow loading... a cupple of times.. always bad HDD.

When changing disk you can encounter err 16 (clock not set and could not load setting program) if possible set clock just before changing HDD. otherwise you cant load slayers...