xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Error 13 With No Modchip, Fixable?  (Read 135 times)

Dave032089

• Archived User
Error 13 With No Modchip, Fixable?
« on: July 26, 2005, 09:54:00 PM »

My xbox displays the 13 error screen with the mod chip removed, can i fix this?

Silentscream__

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 05:28:00 AM »

13 - kernel - Dashboard launch fail (due to missing/bad key, or anything else that would prevent it from running) and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed.

[Details]

This is an error thats most common when you have changed something on your xbox harddisk drive for whatever reason you had, but did not do it properly.

So what to solve it? Well, try to rebuild you xbox harddisk (retail or upgraded/large)
with a slayer 2.6 cd.

(BUT WATCH OUT READ MORE ABOUT THIS ERROR 13 BEFORE YOU DO THAT!) .

The thing you should understand is that error 13 is only because something is wrong with the files on your xbox harddisk.

UPDATE: Recently more and more xbox's that i started modding were giving me an error 13 when i booted in original mode. So what the hell was going on. Solder work was great, the slayer cd was also working great.

However i started doing some research and i finally figured it out. The error it gives is because of the incompatibility between the (older) dashboard (4920) that older slayer cd installs and the new dashboard/kernel versions found in some new xbox's and found in xbox's that have been connected to xbox live (when you go on xbox-live, it'll upgrade your dashboard file to i believe it is now 5659.03. This dasboard is incompatible with the dash that (old) slayer cd installs (for example 2.5 or lower) for you.

(In detail, in the eeprom chip there is a kernel which is incompatible with the dashboard (4920) that slayer installs.)

So what do you do to fix it? Well, it's easy. Someone may know how to do this more easy but this is how i did it. I got myself an xbox of a friend that has xbox live. His xbox is modified and runs a executor chip. I checked his dashboard version and i saw it was the latest 5659.03 dashboard. So i connected his xbox to my computer and i transferred his complete c:\ partition to my computer. Than i connected the xbox that gave me an error 13 when booting original, to my computer. AFter that i transferred "his" c:\ partition to my own c:\ partition, when it asked me to overwrite i chose all. After transfer was done, i rebooted the xbox. And voila no more error 13. The incompatibility was gone.

I think you have to transfer all the xboxdash files and also the xboxdashdata (or something like that) folder. In case you hate to experiment, just transfer the complete c:\ partition of a fairly new or upgraded xbox to your c:\ partition and overwrite all.

Ah well, hope it helps someone.

*UPDATE*
It seems there is an easier solution. You can use the dashupdate found on most new xbox games! Be sure to 1st unplug your ethernet cable before you do so!!!

Also see this post:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?sho...0&#entry1700179

*UPDATE2*
Besides that, just use a good installation disc and all is fine. Use a 2.6 slayer or something similar

[/details]

EDIT - do you want me to remove your other thread?

This post has been edited by Silentscream__: Jul 27 2005, 12:30 PM

Dave032089

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 12:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(Silentscream__ @ Jul 27 2005, 06:03 AM)
EDIT - do you want me to remove your other thread?

Ya,  my IDE cable was just loose blink.gif . So to get it to run normally again I have to replace the dash?

MD 20I20

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 01:30:00 PM »

i recentally softmodded my xbox and as i used to have a hard modded xbox i noticed that in the c drive there was a xboxdash.xbe and msxboxdash.xbe so i did this on my softmodded xbox. but when i turned my xbox on it keeps on coming up with error 13 and when i use a new game and update my dashboard it then comes up with error 21. i have tried many boot cd's with unleashx and evox but none of them work and it keeps on coming up with error 13 has anyone got any ideas on how i can fix this HELP!!!!

IPB Image

Silentscream__

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 07:50:00 AM »

Try posting in the softmod  forum.

glitch54

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 01:11:00 PM »

just get a modchip  
easiest fix

the Duo X2 Lite chip is pretty much your best bet (as long as your box version is either 1.6 or lower)
try divineo.net
i had a gr8 experience with them and even got my chip b4 the estimeated arrival date
(would have been earlier except i ordered and had it shipped on a tuesday and Fed Ex doesn't do weekends)

xboxexpert

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 04:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(glitch54 @ May 18 2006, 02:42 PM) View Post

just get a modchip  
easiest fix

the Duo X2 Lite chip is pretty much your best bet (as long as your box version is either 1.6 or lower)
try divineo.net
i had a gr8 experience with them and even got my chip b4 the estimeated arrival date
(would have been earlier except i ordered and had it shipped on a tuesday and Fed Ex doesn't do weekends)

I agree.  I've got a bunch of those chips there fine for the purpose they serve.

-xboxexpert