xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Xbit 1.5 W/adapter In 1.6b Xbox  (Read 1011 times)

Thephost

• Archived User
Xbit 1.5 W/adapter In 1.6b Xbox
« on: January 09, 2005, 04:39:00 PM »

I have successfully modded a 1.6b XBOX with a 1.5 XBIT mod chip. I followed all the directions from DMS's web site to install it using the 1.6 adapter with a few exceptions.

1. The green and brown wires are reversed in the picture I used from DMS and the mod wouldn't boot. I swapped the brown and green wires to a final position in the LPC of Green - pin 2 and Brown - Pin 1. After this the mod worked successfully

2. The green LED on the XBIT was always on when the power cord was attached. This was a concern to me for a couple of reasons. I didn't want the XBIT to always be powered up and excessivly stress the chip and I didn't know what affect it would have on the XBOX itself. With the adapter installed, the chip draws its power from the 5v pin on the LPC port. This pin always has 5v apply to it even when the xbox is off. To solve this I used the included DVD power cable that is normally used for XBOX 1.5's and cut the connector from the red and black wires. Next I removed the orange wire that was connected to the LPC port and connected it to the red wire from the DVD cable. The red wire (5v) from the DVD cable is switched on only when the xbox is turned on. This allows the XBIT to only get power when the XBOX is power on. I soldered the wires and put a little heat shrink over the joint to protect it from shorting out. I cut the black wire off because it isn't needed. The chip is grounded using another pin on the LPC port. I tried using the cabled normaly and just connecting it directly to the chip with the orange wire disconnected but the mod wouldn't work correctly.

Here is a link to a picture of the install.
Picture

Silentscream__

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 07:27:00 AM »

Very nice clean install. I wish dms didnt leave things up to us to figure out and they could just get things right in their guides.

AirArt

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 01:34:00 PM »

Hi there!
And what about pogo-pins installation of 1.5 on 1.6?

Thephost

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 05:41:00 PM »

There is not a pogo pin (solderless) install for the 1.5 on the 1.6 that I know of.

I suppose it's possible if the LPC rebuild is changed a little bit. I have seen a post around here about doing a 1.5 install without the adapter but it still requires you to rebuild the LPC and solder it in. I haven't tried it myself so I don't know if it works or not.

Since you already have to solder to rebuild the LPC, and the adapter is only $5 US or so, you might as well finish off the job and just solder the wires in. Then you don't have to worry about the chip coming loose.

TFP

AirArt

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 01:46:00 AM »

well, i've biult in my 1.5 in 1.6 as you have shown above (have also used power from DVD-cable *red on orange* and changed green and brown wires. have i forgot smth?), but my XboX is still loading without any changings. i have flashed already three bioses - nothing happens. have changed green and brown wires back - still nothing  dry.gif need help!  uhh.gif

Thephost

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 08:03:00 AM »

By still loading you mean booting to the M$ Dash? Is this your origonal hard drive? What Bios have you used?

As far as I know the "EVOX M8+ 1.6" is the only bios that will work on a 1.6 xbox. Go to xbins to get it. There is a tut for xbins here if you haven't used it before. When this bios boots you will get a EVOX symbol in the upper left corner of the screen its big you won't miss it.

Otherwise check your LPC rebuild you might have missed a point. Here's a link to the rar file on DMSs web site. This is the one I used to do the rebuild.

DMS link

AirArt

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 08:49:00 AM »

By still loading you mean booting to the M$ Dash? Is this your origonal hard drive? What Bios have you used?
yes. yes. 4981.06_256k.bin.

I've got the EvoX M8+ 1.6 now, but forgot to rebuilt LPC smile.gif thx for your help!

hundredspkballer

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 12:52:00 PM »

i am very new to this. i just received my xbit 1.5 yesterday and tried installing in my v1.6

so all i need to do is solder in the nine wires, flash the chip and then install the dash with slayers 2.6?

i put the chip in and it just booted normally and says it does not recognize the disc with slayers 2.6 on it.

then i found this forum and changed the two wires around and it still boots normally and will not read the disc but the light on the usb hookup for the chip is now on.

do i have to do the lpc rebiuld? uhh.gif

hundredspkballer

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 02:07:00 PM »

i guess i should have said i do have the 1.6 adaptor so do i have to do the lpc rebuild?

Thephost

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005, 01:40:00 AM »

Yes, the LPC rebuild is required on ALL 1.6's regardless of what chip you put in it. M$ changed the way the board was wired and removed some important signal lines from the LPC. You must reconnect them before any mods will work.

TFP

AirArt

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 07:14:00 AM »

Have made everything like you've said. it frags sad.gif
bios - M8plus_16.bin
LPC Rebuilt like on DMS's site shown. need help!

AirArt

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 10:49:00 AM »

hey! have soldered the wires one more time, carefully - it worx! )
*happy*

gab70

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2005, 08:02:00 AM »

Very nice piece of work!
 beerchug.gif

I wish I read this before installing mine!

olafo

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2005, 03:32:00 PM »

What's the final installation???

1. - LPC rebuild like DMS webpage.
2. - Adapter 1.6 solder like DMS page. (without any wire change).
3. - Flash Bios with M8_16.
4. - Boot with i.e. Slayers 2.6 on a CD-RW.

Can anybody confirm this???

Thankx, and happy modding.

Thephost

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2005, 10:55:00 AM »

These are the steps I followed.

1. Rebuild LPC following the DMS instructions.

2. Adapter install following the DMS instructions with the following exceptioins
--a. The Brown wire to LPC Pin 1(square pad) and the Green wire to LPC Pin 2

--b. Using the DVD power cable included with the chip, cut the black wire out completely. The red wire is connected to the orange wire from the adapter. Cover the connection to protect it from shorting out.

3. Flash with M8_16

4. Format and install using your favorite dash/boot CD

Notes: 2b is an option. The mod will work by soldering the orange wire to the LPC as shown on the DMS instructions. The only reason I did this was to prevent the xbit from always being powered up when the Xbox was in standby (Power cord plugged into the outlet). This provides the benifit of no longer need to unplug your Xbox when you change the switch settings on the XBIT.
I also found it easier to do the LPC rebuild after soldering the adapter wires into the LPC port.

You can see an image of my installation by following the link in the first post.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7