xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: X-bit Flashing/installation Issues  (Read 101 times)

AmO

• Archived User
X-bit Flashing/installation Issues
« on: June 06, 2004, 11:36:00 PM »

when you get the on off flash deal it means that your LPC pins are not connecting properly.  Did you try carefully scraping all the metal contact points?
When you get the boot that seems normal, it is due to your D0 point being out of alignment.  Also maybe try carefully scraping the D0 point, be very careful not to mess it up tho.

The reason i mention all this scraping is because sometimes the boards can get covered in a layer of lacquer and the result is a bad or non connection.

Also, what bios are you using? i would say for testing purposes use the latest Xecutor bios (version 4983) as it replaces the white MS text with the word Xecutor (actually i believe any Xecutor bios will do, but the latest one has the best functionality).  This helps to verify that everything is working because if you use a bios like Evox, then you will not be able to tell any difference unless you try booting some burned media.

What i mentioned are some basic things that are a starting point for determining your problem.  A bad chip is a possibility, but rather unlikely.

Hope this helps,

Laters,
AmO

treyking11

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 07:37:00 AM »

nope, nothing...   i scraped the contact points, still nothing. i am reading that some people using XP are having flashing problems. i get no error messages, and the flashing contiues until it says "done". is there anyway to tell if the flashing is bad? i have tried many different ones, and verified each successfully. at one point i got the boot screen with No "MS" under the "X", but was hoping for the xecutor name... am i onto something maybe? doubt it... should i reconsider the solder method?? is there an easier chip than this? i am about to raise hell with the company that sold me the chip to see if they will exchange it for another type. this is rediculous. there are TONS of these posts with pissed off x-bit owners. thanks to all, trey

OR-G

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 08:47:00 AM »

I'm not too knowledgable on the xbit problems, but if you've flashed the chip and it was verified and everything then most likely you're not getting good contact and the bios was fine. Also some people suggest putting a piece of paper under the D0 pogo pin that isn't used. I recently did that on a friend's xbox since it might eventually wear away the top layer and touch another trace.

One thing I do when I installed my two xbits was shine a light near the bottom so I could clearly see the points are in their correct spot, and I tighten down the screw pretty tight.

I'm not sure if there are other chips easier to install... Since most use pogo pins in the same area anyways and you still need good contact of the pins. Could have a faulty chip.

If you got the xecuter bios from xbins then it should work fine, and shouldn't need to try a different bios.

I guess that's all I can add, goodluck!

AmO

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 02:27:00 PM »

For starters, it sounds dumb, but make sure your dipswitches are in the correct position and that the STM switch (the 4th dip switch) is in the off position and you are using Xecutor 4983.  if you are not sure about the STM dip switch try both positions.  

If you have verified the bios than everything should be fine.  A stupid but also last thing to try is i hear there can be problems with the pogopins themselves, maybe give them a quick rubdown with some rubbing alcohol, wait an hour or so to make sure everything is dry and try reinstalling.  I doubt this is the problem but i spose its worth a shot.

I've also read somewhere that the xbit does not work on some version 1.1 xbox's.  Im pretty sure it was version 1.1, and i think the problem had todo with powering the xbit.  maybe try having the xbit plugged into your usb cable and onto the computer, have the xbit software connected or not (i actually dont think it matters but it could, again, try connected and not connected) but for sure not flashing, then boot your xbox.
If someone can confirm or deny this 1.1 problem i mentioned please speak up cause i could be wrong.  I have a 1.1 xbox and my xbit works fine.  Ive heard the issue lives in a very small number of version 1.1 (i could have the version wrong, but i am pretty sure it was 1.1) so it is unlikely, but possible.  If that still doesnt work, than I'm afraid uve exhausted my knowledge of the xbit and maybe someone else who knows more can help.

Good Luck,
AmO

AmO

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 12:15:00 PM »

cool.gif you have a faulty chip (very unlikely, but possible) or c) there is an issue with your chip and your xbox, also very rare.  At this point i dont know what to tell you because its rather difficult to tell what is going on exactly.  Because of the two scenario's you explained in your first post, I'm imagining that its just an alignment issue because you are getting 2 very typical scenario's of misalignment.  Maybe a post with some pictures of your setup might help to determine if something is working right or not.

Laters,
AmO

treyking11

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 05:49:00 AM »

AmO;

i did try everything in your post, but to no avail. when all the pins sit down in their holes, the chip feels snug. that is what i really think i am getting. can it really be that difficult to align this chip? i am in the process of talking to console corner (who are being very cool and getting back to my emails within hours!!) about the problem. i may just exchange it for a smartxx if i can. if not, i will continue to "adjust" this chip. i will double check to see if i am making correct contact on the d0 point, and a buddy suggested finding a better contact point on the other side of the board and soldering a wire there. we will see how this plays out. remember back in the day when soldering a PS1 meant solder 6 wires and you were done? no bios, dashboards, or anything else.  just cloneCD and you were rollin!!!  thanks again, trey

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 11:49:00 AM »

QUOTE (treyking11 @ Jun 9 2004, 05:01 PM)
i appreciate all of your replies, nothing is working. i am going to continue scraping the MB and moving the chip around for the 1,000th F#CKING TIME!! anyone who got this joke of a chip to work, consider yourselves lucky. there are WAY too many people in these forums having the same problem...  anymore replies will be appreciated.  thanks again, trey

The usually have "this same problem" because of inexperience, not that there is anything wrong with the Xbit.

E.G. You may have had it working perfectly at some point, but because nothing seem to have changed, you may have assumed that it was not on and functional. This is a common mistake.

Right after the above, people start fiddling with it, trying to clean off D0 or performing other actions that eventually lead to things not working.

For "SOLDERED" hole Xboxs, you really need to SOLDER the chip in place or install a pin header.

If you can't handle this, get someone else to do it as you do not have enough experience and the solderless install will ALWAYS be problematic.

For 1.2 machines and up, the pogo pins will fall into the holes, making the installation MUCH easier and more apt for neophytes attempting this.

However once you hit 1.4 and above, more soldering or work may be required, so some experience is desirable.

Do not mistake inexperience with bad design. The two do not equate.

This is not a simple consumer product, but rather a way to perform what is otherwise an extremely "difficult" (from a newbies perspective) hack to a locked up system.

If you can't deal with it, or be bothered by it, don't call things names, but instead search for someone experienced who can either do the job or help you out.