xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Shutting Off In Middle Of Game  (Read 63 times)

AmO

• Archived User
Xbox Shutting Off In Middle Of Game
« on: May 21, 2004, 10:48:00 AM »

biggrin.gif

I have had a similar problem, it sounds exactly the same but it could be different.
Try this, with the xbox on, jiggle the power cord up and down and side to side (be gentle tho, dont rough house the poor guy, just firm jiggling will do), if your xbox shuts off (also you mighy hear a crackling sound (dont pull the power cord out while doing this because that will obviously shut it off wink.gif) then you probably have the same problem as i do.  Basically I decided to investigate, so i unpluged and opened up my xbox (if your gonna do this check make sure the xbox is cooled down because the power supply unit gets very hot during use)  Then I unscrewed the power supply unit and looked underneath where the power supply plug solders into the power supply board and i noticed that the solder there was broken.  I imagine this comes from frequent plugging and unplugging of your xbox due to the push/pull stress on the two small solder points(i am always taking that xbox places so i can understand it in my case).  Anyways, I havent actually fixed the problem yet but I am gonna try, in the next couple of weeks, to just apply a bit of solder to those points and reattach the plug to the board.  I am at work atm so I cannot post any pictures but if you are in dire need I could prolly get some pictures of what I am talking about in the next few days (im going out of town this weekend so i dunno if i could do it before I leave).  Basically for a temporary fix (with the xbox all reassembled, I inserted a toothpic into the space around the edge of the power plug to hold it in place until i go for a more permanent fix.  Anyways, I hope his all makes sense and good luck.