xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Led On...but Is Xbox Recognizing Bios?  (Read 164 times)

drfunk

• Archived User
Led On...but Is Xbox Recognizing Bios?
« on: April 06, 2004, 07:28:00 AM »

same thing here. light was on but no xecuter at bottom of screen.  I realigned the chip again and works like a dream!!

ramzi22

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 05:43:00 PM »

Hi, i just recently installed my X.B.I.T. and got the SAME problem.  Then i realligned the chip and it works! i think that the chip isnt sitting on the points corerectly. Check teh D0 point and u should hear a click when it slides into the correct position. hope this is helpful

Sh!z!m

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 12:19:00 PM »

I envy you guys who got it to work.  No luck here...think i'm giving up!

Flashed a few different bios and tried booting to all of them...nothing.  Still get MS on the bottom of my screen.  Have aligned, realigned, and realigned some more the chip...still nothing. Scraped the d0 point (though admittedly i probably didn't do a great job of that!)...and still nothing.  Can't think of anything else to do...other than solder i suppose, which I'm really not keen to try.

On a positive note, at least my box still runs properly!

Sh!z!m

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 12:42:00 PM »

Flashed a few different bios and tried booting to all of them...nothing.  Still get MS on the bottom of my screen.  Have aligned, realigned, and realigned some more the chip...still nothing. Scraped the d0 point (though admittedly i probably didn't do a great job of that!)...and still nothing.  Can't think of anything else to do...other than solder i suppose, which I'm really not keen to try.

Oh, one last thing...anyone know if the entire 2MB bios bank needs to be filled?

xgeek

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 01:52:00 PM »

QUOTE (Sh!z!m @ Apr 7 2004, 09:42 PM)

Oh, one last thing...anyone know if the entire 2MB bios bank needs to be filled?

well go to the 6th parition

Flash a 256k X2 Bios into a 256k slot

Switch the dip switches accordingly to the slot uve flashed it with (there is a diagram on the software)

make sure the mod isnt stealthed

Kalen

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 04:16:00 PM »

Some have had problems without flashing the whole 2mb.  I did it from the start and i had no problems.  So try filling the rest of the flash.  laugh.gif

2der

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 01:46:00 PM »

I'm having the same problem guys sad.gif.. I'm ready to trow my xbox out the window... (But then I'll run after it )... But why is it that I get a green ligth and I get the MS logo!!?!.. I've placed it rigth at the d0 and nothin.. I keep trying and trying and tryin.. I need help on this.. Any soulutions??.. I flashed the chip with "4981.06_256k" and I'm havin nooo luck sad.gif.. Plz help...

xgeek

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 02:48:00 AM »

Yes its bad D0 Contact

its not been aligned correctly
i will do anyones box in uk

therebelious1

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 02:56:00 AM »

i recently modded another xbox with the x-bit, and couldnt get it to work (M$ kept on showing up which means d0 aint being grounded).

it was a v1.0 xbox with the filled lpc holes. the fact they were filled made the chip sit at a squint angle. also the chip was different from all previous 4 chips ive used- all the components were misaligned. the chip thats next to the x-bit label covered almost the whole label.

the main thing tho, was that the d0 pogo wasnt anywhere near the d0 pad, so i had to tag a wire from the alt-d0 point to the d0 pogo. theres no need to do the full wire install.

after that, the chip worked fine

as these chips are mass produced, its entirely possible (if not likely) that other people have askew chips- just manually tag d0 and you should be fine

Boxies

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2004, 04:10:00 AM »

im in the same boat as most of you guys....i have realligned, and realligned, i either get a flashing red and green light, or it boots up normally like nothing has been changed......ive tried moving it everywhere.....idiot proof, i dont think so....lol.....and yeah i am wanting to throw my xbox out the window as well, this sucks...i flashed it a couple of times, but i heard, that if the flubber thing comes up at the start, it means ur chip is not in properly...i do not know if that is "bios specific" or even if its true.......

thebuffman

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2004, 05:42:00 AM »

Yeah this is a pain.  Executor from now on for me.  I had zero problems with Executor installs.  

If I am getting the on/off/on/off/red-green flashing when I turn on the chip but getting the msdashboard when I turn off the chip, what is usually the problem?  From what I've been reading, if the d0 isn't right then the xbox will boot to the msdashboard regardless of turning the modchip on or off.  

The led on the modchip is green when I turn it on (switch 1on 2on 3off 4off) and there is a beep sound (usually this signifies some type of error code on pc bioses but there is a black screen).  Doesn't this mean the d0 solder job is good?

soulz4u

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2004, 06:19:00 AM »

scrap the D0 point a bit with exacto knife...

kenmood

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2004, 09:13:00 AM »

No, no, no... Do not mess with the D0 point if you get fragging, because it indicates that D0 contact is ok.

thebuffman's problem is somewhere else. Usually the problem is with the bios contents itself (bad flashing, empty bank or wrong dip settings) or the LPC pins are not properly connected (wrong alignment, dust, lubricant on pogopins, etc).

If you are unsure how the dip switches should be set, use format 6, flash banks 3 to 6 with X2 bios and finally verify each of them. Clean both the LPC on the motherboard and the pogopins on Xbit. The green light is on, when Xbit is on. Just try to boot with an Evox disk when you are ready with the installation.

jaxx

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2004, 10:51:00 AM »

for example in this image...

user posted image

can you simply flash a bios into the "Bios 5" under bank 6?  and what should the dip switches be set to?  1-off, 2-off, 3-on? or 1-on, 2-off, 3-on?  i'm kinda confused as to whether the dip switches are supposed to be for the bank or the bios number.

jaxx

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2004, 03:40:00 PM »

woohoo...thank u kenmood!  i tried what you suggested (flashing the 256k bios to banks 3 to 6 and it's working great!
Pages: [1] 2