xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Totally New To All Of This...  (Read 110 times)

AnthrAx12385

• Archived User
Totally New To All Of This...
« on: March 21, 2004, 01:12:00 AM »

I just purchased an xbox and have no idea as to what version I have.  I looked at the xbox-scene diagrams to determine and I got all the way up to testing whether or not my lpc/ground has power or not.  I have no way of testing it and I was wondering does that really matter?  I have the x-bit chip and I have the flashing utitlity, as well as a dashboard and a bios.  I connected the the two "chips" by the yellow and black cables and then the usb cable, the green led lit up.  I started up the x-bit software, clicked connected, it connected.  I clicked format and chose section 4 (1mb, 512k,  56k, 256k).  It says erasing block 0  and it's been sitting there for about 20 minutes now.  Once I click format the green led turns off. How long does it take to format?  It's almost been 20 minutes.  Am I doing something wrong?

ColKurtz

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 07:03:00 AM »

It appears you're following instructions just fine.  But the flash process for a 256k bios should only be about 90-120 seconds.  

Try again.  Leave the flash window in the foreground (don't multi-task or minimize it while flashing).  If it fails again, either try from another PC or format another style (i.e. - style6, 4x256 + 2x512).

AnthrAx12385

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004, 07:25:00 AM »

Thanks for your reply, but about 30 minutes ago, I moved the cables to my friend's pc and everything flashed fine, DOH!  I've got an Nforce2 mobo...nvidia, ugh.  Anyways, I flashed it and am now attempting to put it in, but I keep getting frags....I think I'm going to clean it later and attempt to scrape the d0, although I would rather not do that.

madmatt30

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 07:38:00 AM »

m8,theres a pretty foolproof way of finding what version your xbox is,just check the manafacture date on the top of the dvd-drive once youve taken the case off.
I personally wouldnt recommend scraping the d0 point m8,i have installed 8 of x-bit chips now on varying models & ive never had to do this yet!!!
the chances are its just not aligning correctly,keep trying m8 ,once it clicks in place properly youll know.
Sure youve got the dip switches setup correctly m8??I personally always use bank 6 now & put x2 4981 on bios6 & evox m7 on bios5 (make sure to use the correct 256k version)

ColKurtz

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2004, 07:48:00 AM »

I personally wouldnt recommend scraping the d0 point m8

Though I might agree that you should try a couple times before scraping, I take issue with recommending against doing it at all.  You seem to have incredibly good luck if you installed 8 xbits without scraping.  My last 2 didn't work at all before scraping.

Also, some boards have a layer of rosin covering D0 that will prevent you from getting any connection.  You *must* scrape if you have one of those.  

AnthrAx12385

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2004, 07:55:00 AM »

Ok, I just fiddled with the extremely minor positioning of the d0 and the x-box turns on with the modchip installed and as I'm posting this I totally forgot to turn on the bios I just flashed.  I'm going to try that now, but so far so good!

madmatt30

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2004, 07:57:00 AM »

fair comment there m8,maybe I have been very lucky up till this point,I ve only fitted the chips for friends for no profit-just id be unwilling to start scraping the coating away on someone elses machine-i have a couple more chips on order now for fitting so who knows-i may be unlucky enough to have to do the scraping myself this time-