xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Why Isn't Xbit A 4th Gen?  (Read 46 times)

MaTiAz

• Archived User
Why Isn't Xbit A 4th Gen?
« on: February 27, 2004, 06:26:00 AM »

I think that it's because XBIT was released on the time of gen.3, and the OS makes the mods gen.4...

Anyway, even if it would have a OS, with all the probs ppl having with XBIT would make it fall down to gen.3, at least IMHO.

chelrob

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 01:26:00 PM »

All any chip has to accomplish is to let you FTP into your XBOX.  The XBIT does that beautifully.  Look in any chip's forum.  They all have equal ammounts of problems with new users.

XanTium

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 05:06:00 PM »

I fully understand your question. But we have to draw the line somewhere.

What was new in this '4th gen'? ... it's the build-in OS.
If we would base 4th gen in flashsize, Xenium wouldn't be 4th as only 1mb is usuable.
Putting the X-BIT next to the SmartXX and Xenium is also useless as all software rows in the table would be "no" for X-BIT (and even then it would cause problems ... as the X-BIT can probably have most/all of these features with 3rd party XDK software).

I could have put all '4th gen' modchips in the '3th gen' as purely on HW side it didn't change much (even became easier as a programmer isn't needed anymore). But put the X3 next the X2.x and the Xenium next to the Chameleon would be kinda lame ... after all X3 IS the next generation of X2.x and Xenium IS the next generation of Chameleon (partially atleast).

so, yes ... I see your point ... but there's nothing I can do about it.

Xeero

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2004, 01:51:00 PM »

The size of the flashROM on a chip doesn't really represent much advancement, so that's why I couldn't see calling it a superior chip just because of that.  You buy a bigger chip, and you tweak the CPLD.  That's it.