xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Problem With V1.1 And X-b.i.t  (Read 143 times)

lamrith

• Archived User
Problem With V1.1 And X-b.i.t
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2004, 04:51:00 PM »

QUOTE (FunkmaztafoX @ Jan 31 2004, 01:34 AM)
QUOTE (mikko13 @ Jan 30 2004, 06:28 PM)
Hi.

I have this strange problem. I've installed X-B.I.T mod (pogo-pin installation) to my ver 1.1 xbox. I have also flashed and verified banks 6, 5, 4 and 3 with different BIOSes (Evox M7, X2 4981, etc). Everything seems to be ok (even the mod's external led is lit normally), but the box still boots with the TSOP's original BIOS. I have checked the D0-connections and the other pogo-pins that they work correctly and are connected. I have also cheked the externat dip-switch that it is connected correctly and the right BIOS is selected. But still I can't boot to Evox dvd-rom which I have made myself (and have used with other XBOXes with the same branded DVD-ROM drive). I'm starting to believe that the mod is broken. Is it common or even possible?

Can anyone help me?

the symptoms you mentioned are good, so it gives us a good idea of where we can start troubleshooting. Sounds like you flashed the chip ok. Sounds like you installed it properly...

When you boot the xbox, do you get the regular XBOX logo with "MS" written below it? Change the dip to one of your xecuter2 bioses. When it boots it (might have a colored X) but will definately say xecuter2 inplace of MS. This is your main way of telling if the BIOS is working. If it's not working then I would have to say you should re-align your chip.

If it's working the the chip is 100% good, and you should check to make sure that you wrote the evox cd correctly. Hope this helps.

I will tell you all right now that just because the green led on the xbit lights does not mean it is installed properly!!  I just got my 2nd xbit, and it took me 3 install tries to get it working.  The green LED was lighting up great and the flash had gone fine but I was getting MS Bios and dash.  I finally found that is was not fully seating on the d0 point, but the green XBIT LED was lighting up green anyways!!

I finally got it to get a firm hold on d0, here is the trick I use as it is hard to see and do sometimes..  Yes it may seem simple, but sometimes something simple works..

I put a flashlight laying acrost the power supply, cpu etc shining onto the board so I can see d0 very well.  I place the spacer and xbit over the board and get the screw started, but not even close to tight naybe 1 turn, the xbit can flop around all over and be lifted off the board freely.  I use my right hand and manually place the d0 pogo in the d0 point and hold it there.  With my left hand I tighten down the screw which locks the xbit into place.  then I pick up the light and check the pogos on the lpc points.

When I finally slowed down the 3rd try and did it like above rather than slapping it on, it immediately worked.

Xerium

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2004, 11:29:00 AM »

QUOTE (sphighend @ Feb 1 2004, 07:19 PM)
mistype on my part...i did some checking and mine is a v1.0

i just installed the wrong bios, cuz i thought i had a v1.1 biggrin.gif /doh

Anyhow, anyone know which bios i need to get for a v1.0 xbox with a pogopin xbit chip in it??

Thanks smile.gif

grr.gif Would you people please read a little before you order a chip? ANY bios will work with an xbit given its bigger the 256k and smaller than 2 mb...its what you want the chip to do that determines the bios you want to use

gab70

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2004, 09:23:00 AM »

QUOTE (CMods @ Mar 10 2004, 01:58 PM)
I'd like to point out, that only fraction of 1.1 boxes have the problem I described yesterday. Many if not most 1.1 boxes work fine with X-B.I.T.

But IF you do have one of these boxes that XBIT is incompatible with, there is no way to get it to work except soldering D0 directly to ground, which makes Stealth mode useless. It doesn't help soldering D0 to bottom point nor anything like that since the problem is not caused by a poor contact.

Of course it might be a good idea to use bottom point when unsure whether the box being modded is compatible or not.

I had one of that rare 1.1 consolle to mod.
The only way to have the Xbit working was to send d0 to ground, thankyou for the suggestion.

I actually pinned a small wire from the d0 hole to the screw that holds the chip, so that it is still a solderless installation.

thankyou again
cool.gif
Pages: 1 [2]