xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Problem With V1.1 And X-b.i.t  (Read 144 times)

jullack

• Archived User
Problem With V1.1 And X-b.i.t
« on: January 30, 2004, 02:24:00 PM »

Hi! It happens to me just like to you. What is your xbox date and pack? In the spanish forums i know 7 person with the same probleme. And the xbit doesn't work although you soldered to the motherboard. Please tell me your xbox date. Thanks. Good luck.

Bye.

FunkmaztafoX

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 03:34:00 PM »

QUOTE (mikko13 @ Jan 30 2004, 06:28 PM)
Hi.

I have this strange problem. I've installed X-B.I.T mod (pogo-pin installation) to my ver 1.1 xbox. I have also flashed and verified banks 6, 5, 4 and 3 with different BIOSes (Evox M7, X2 4981, etc). Everything seems to be ok (even the mod's external led is lit normally), but the box still boots with the TSOP's original BIOS. I have checked the D0-connections and the other pogo-pins that they work correctly and are connected. I have also cheked the externat dip-switch that it is connected correctly and the right BIOS is selected. But still I can't boot to Evox dvd-rom which I have made myself (and have used with other XBOXes with the same branded DVD-ROM drive). I'm starting to believe that the mod is broken. Is it common or even possible?

Can anyone help me?

the symptoms you mentioned are good, so it gives us a good idea of where we can start troubleshooting. Sounds like you flashed the chip ok. Sounds like you installed it properly...

When you boot the xbox, do you get the regular XBOX logo with "MS" written below it? Change the dip to one of your xecuter2 bioses. When it boots it (might have a colored X) but will definately say xecuter2 inplace of MS. This is your main way of telling if the BIOS is working. If it's not working then I would have to say you should re-align your chip.

If it's working the the chip is 100% good, and you should check to make sure that you wrote the evox cd correctly. Hope this helps.

mikko13

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 08:41:00 PM »

I have tried to change the dip-swithces in everyway but it still doesn't work. It just keeps saying "MS" under the X-logo. Is it then possible that X-B.I.T doesn't work on v1.1 xboxes? Is there anyone who has succeeded? I have succesfully installed X-B.I.T to v 1.3 and 1.4 xboxes with the same dvd-rom disc containing Evox (and yes I have renamed it to default.xbe smile.gif.  Hmm, one possibitiliy is that DMS-labs have never tested the chip with v1.1 boxes (which I doubt).

mikko13

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 10:12:00 PM »

Just tested the xbox with another X-B.I.T chip that is originally installed in v1.4 xbox. It didn't work. And I tested the both chips with the v1.4 and they worked. So the only thing that comes to my mind is that X-B.I.T doesn't work on v1.1 xboxes (with pogo-pin installation). And what the others have said it don't think it'll work even if I solder it to the motherboard.

jullack

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2004, 02:18:00 AM »

Please, if you tell me your consola date, i can be able to help you. I have the same problem and many people too. If you tell me that, i will tell you a solution. Thanks.

Bye.

mikko13

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2004, 06:16:00 AM »

Please, if you tell me your consola date, i can be able to help you. I have the same problem and many people too. If you tell me that, i will tell you a solution. Thanks.

Mine is also v1.1 and it is manufactured 2002-10-27

sphighend

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2004, 07:36:00 AM »

my xbox's man. date is august 28th 2002...and i seem to be having the same problem also sad.gif

I just double checked DMS's website and they list that it is compatible with v1.1

hmmmm anyone have a successful installation with a v1.1 xbox and a pogopin xbit chip??

Maybe that person knows some querk that we all dont smile.gif

rtmichael

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2004, 07:36:00 AM »

My box is also a 1.1 manufactured in December 2002. I must have tried 20 times before I got the thing to boot on the xbit bios. It kept booting into MS no matter what I did.

I kept cleaning contacts, especially the D0, and it finally worked for me. I actually put the point of a knife in D0 and twisted very gently. That seemed to work. I was obviously desperate at that point.

sphighend

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2004, 09:19:00 AM »

mistype on my part...i did some checking and mine is a v1.0

i just installed the wrong bios, cuz i thought i had a v1.1 biggrin.gif /doh

Anyhow, anyone know which bios i need to get for a v1.0 xbox with a pogopin xbit chip in it??

Thanks smile.gif

vanzantd

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2004, 09:52:00 AM »

My box is also a 1.1 manufactured in December 2002. I must have tried 20 times before I got the thing to boot on the xbit bios. It kept booting into MS no matter what I did. I kept cleaning contacts, especially the D0, and it finally worked for me. I actually put the point of a knife in D0 and twisted very gently. That seemed to work. I was obviously desperate at that point.

I found some stuff over at the Team Xecuter website that was talking about prepping the D0 contact.  Of course the wondering and inquisitive person I am, I found the following that discusses how to prep the D0 point.  Apparently the X-Box Motherboard is coated in some sort of resin/plastic.  You have to gently scrape that away to expose copper.  You don't have to actually "scrape", but maybe rub instead.  I did some more research and found some info regarding a 'Fiberglass Pen'.  

I purchased one of these fiberglass pens online and when I prep the D0 point on my v1.1 I will let you guys know the result...I bet this is the answer!!!

I feel a little smart... jester.gif

-dv
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

Team Xecuter Webpage for prepping D0 point...

Place to buy fiberglass pens - Fiberglass Pen Place

mikko13

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2004, 09:49:00 AM »

Just installed Xecuter 2.3B Lite to ver1.1 xbox and it works perfectly. Just wanted to inform...

CMods

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2004, 09:48:00 AM »

The reason why X-B.I.Ts don't work with some 1.1 boxes is simply because X-B.I.T is not strong enough to pull D0 line low.

Today we got our hands on a 1.1 box that refused to work with X-B.I.T. We tried a couple of X-B.I.T chips to rule out the possibility of a faulty chip, but the results were same with all the chips.

We used an oscilloscope to investigate what really goes on with the D0 line. When X-B.I.T is in stealth mode and box is turned on, the D0 line goes up for about 300 ms and after that the contents of flash is read and thus D0 goes up and down all the time. The HIGH level is about 5 V and the LOW level is about 0 V.

When X-B.I.T is not in stealth mode the D0 line goes initially up to 5V for about 20 ms. After that the X-B.I.T obviously kicks in and we get about 2.2 Volts for about 280 milliseconds after which the data is transmitted but this time the HIGH level is only 2.2 Volts.

So after these tests it is crystal clear that XBIT tries to pull the D0 to ground, but it is not strong enough. While it is supposed to get D0 to LOW value it only manages to get it to 2.2 Volts which is still considered to be HIGH by most chips.

This is not due to a poor contact with D0 since the measurement was done on the XBIT board. If there was poor contact, we would get lower voltages in which case the problem would be even worse.

The problem is clearly with the X-B.I.T chip. With competing chips we got D0 values as low as 0.1 - 0.2 Volts, which can safely be assumed to be interpreted as LOW in all circumstances.

Edit: 280 milliseconds, not 280 seconds blink.gif

izz

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2004, 01:21:00 PM »

i installed xbit on my v1.1 xbox using pogo method.. i prepared d0 and make sure that the chip had good contact with the mobo.. the trick is don't screw your chip too tight otherwise the chip will tilt and you loss the contacts..

CMods

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2004, 04:55:00 AM »

I'd like to point out, that only fraction of 1.1 boxes have the problem I described yesterday. Many if not most 1.1 boxes work fine with X-B.I.T.

But IF you do have one of these boxes that XBIT is incompatible with, there is no way to get it to work except soldering D0 directly to ground, which makes Stealth mode useless. It doesn't help soldering D0 to bottom point nor anything like that since the problem is not caused by a poor contact.

Of course it might be a good idea to use bottom point when unsure whether the box being modded is compatible or not.

mlcarlson

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2004, 05:34:00 PM »

I'm having the same problem. Can the xbit work iwth v1.1 as long as you solder D0 to ground? I don't really mind that I couldn't use stealth mode. If I can just solder D0 to gound what would be a good spot to ground it to?
Pages: [1] 2