xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Chip Insalled, Now What?  (Read 143 times)

FunkmaztafoX

• Archived User
Chip Insalled, Now What?
« on: November 14, 2003, 01:53:00 PM »

OK the green light that eople talk about coming on on the xbit isnt coming on at all, hell i dont even know where the green light is, cause it never glows...i did however successfully flash the chip with evoxm7.bin

now the chip is installed, and I followed what you said about the steps using the combo of dipswitches being on/off.

right now dip switch is: 1-on, 2-on, 3-off, 4-off.

loaded up slayer's evox autoinstaller and the xbox can't recognize the disc...

any ideas on why it can't, or if my chip is on? ph34r.gif

Ksw1

• Archived User
Chip Insalled, Now What?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2003, 03:10:00 PM »

It might just be because you have'nt taken the time to read the installation instructions on DMS's web site, or the pinned topics on this forum.

Just a Guess.........

Questions:

What version is your Xbox?
Which Bios Bank did you choose and which slots of that bank did you flash a bios too?
Is your Bios properly sized for the slot you installed it too?
Did you use modify the colors of your bios before flashing it to Xbit?
Did you Verify the Flash?
What brand of DVD drive is installed in your Xbox?
What kind of Media did you burn your Slayers installation with?
What software did you use to burn your Slayers Disk with?
Did you do a Pogo Install or a Soilder install?
Have you hooked up the Black and Yellow cables to the external XBIT board?
Did you hook up the Black to Black and the Yellow to Yellow?
Have you tried booting with your Harddrive and DVD Drives disconnected?
Did you install the optional Power Button Stealth circuit?
Have you read the instructions on the DMS site?
Have you read the pinned topics on this forum?
Have you read the tutorials available on this site?

I know you frequent these forums - I see your avatar quite often.

Did you get your screw from Divino?

Ksw1

• Archived User
Chip Insalled, Now What?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 03:24:00 PM »

The LED you looking for is located on the External XBIT card - It should have been illuminated when you were flashing the XBIT with the DMS supplied USB cable.

If your not seeing this LED illuminate when you power on your Xbox, the Xbit is not functioning.

Check your DIP switches, the Yellow and Black Cables on the external board, and Xbit allignment.

Let me know what happens........

FunkmaztafoX

• Archived User
Chip Insalled, Now What?
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 03:44:00 PM »

ok well i'm going to attempt to reflash/reinstall...

even though there is no light appearing on the dip switch(at any time), i did successfully flash it with m7...does that make a difference?

I am using the option 4: 2 256k, one 512k, and 1 mb. when i clicked option 4 it autmatically had the 1mb bank highlighted. this normal/suggested?

I am using the screw divineo sent me yes.

thanks for the fast replies, i hope to get this working soon

FunkmaztafoX

• Archived User
Chip Insalled, Now What?
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2003, 03:50:00 PM »

Questions:

What version is your Xbox? 1.0
Which Bios Bank did you choose and which slots of that bank did you flash a bios too?bios bank 4, i believe it was the 1mb slot
Is your Bios properly sized for the slot you installed it too?not sure what you mean
Did you use modify the colors of your bios before flashing it to Xbit?again not sure what you mean
Did you Verify the Flash?yes. successfull
What brand of DVD drive is installed in your Xbox?Thomson
What kind of Media did you burn your Slayers installation with?Easy CD Creator, CD-R
What software did you use to burn your Slayers Disk with?^same as above?
Did you do a Pogo Install or a Soilder install?pogo pin install. didn't do steakth mode soddering
Have you hooked up the Black and Yellow cables to the external XBIT board?yes
Did you hook up the Black to Black and the Yellow to Yellow?yes
Have you tried booting with your Harddrive and DVD Drives disconnected?yes, got to error msg about xbox needing service (no light came on xbit, LED flashed green and red)
Did you install the optional Power Button Stealth circuit?no
Have you read the instructions on the DMS site?yes
Have you read the pinned topics on this forum?yes
Have you read the tutorials available on this site?yes

FunkmaztafoX

• Archived User
Chip Insalled, Now What?
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2003, 03:55:00 PM »

HOLY COCKINBALLS! I SEE A GREEN LIGHT!!!!!!

more to come soon.

FunkmaztafoX

• Archived User
Chip Insalled, Now What?
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2003, 04:18:00 PM »

QUOTE ("LargePig")
21) Set the jumpers like so: 1 on, 2 on, 3 off, 4 on

22) Turn on your xbox, it should boot as normal, (although you don't have your hd or dvd in so it will complain with an error 7 soon enough, the light on the xbit should be off, the chip is in stealth mode. Turn the xbox off.

23) Set the jumpers like so: 1 on, 2 on, 3 on, 4 off

24) Turn on your xbox, the xbit light should be green, it should go a little scatty at this point, you have an empty bios selected, it should re-boot twice, then stay on with a flashing green and red led.... good!! Turn it off.

25) Set the jumpers like so: 1 on, 2 on, 3 off, 4 off

26) Turn on the xbox, xbit light should be on and the box should boot seemingly as normal, appart from the error 7, your xbox needs a service crap. Turn off the xbox. You just booted your xbox using the M7 bios.

on step 22 i got a flashing green/red LED and got error msg
on step 24 where it said reboot twice, nothing rebooted...was i supposed to reboot it? LED flashed green/red and got error msg
on step 26 the xbit light didn't come on...what's this mean? chip not installed properly? I'm gonna try to reinstall chip, see what that does.

FunkmaztafoX

• Archived User
Chip Insalled, Now What?
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2003, 04:29:00 PM »

update:

chip installed correctly, it was slightly off-straight and now the light on the xbit comes on with the 1-on,2-on,3-off,4-off setup.

Now onto using slayer evox auto installer...tried with a cd-r and xbox couldn't recognize
gonna keep tryin

bishop05

• Archived User
Chip Insalled, Now What?
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2003, 07:22:00 PM »

Try a CD-RW, or a DVD-R will do the trick!!!

FunkmaztafoX

• Archived User
Chip Insalled, Now What?
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2003, 05:35:00 AM »

right now using a cd-rw...still doesn't recognize it as an xbox disc :-|

the chip is porperly installed and the light on the external board has come on so doesn't that mean it's on? it still goes to M$ dash when i boot it up, and when i put disc in it says cannot recognize...i flashed with bios4 bank4 and with evoxm7

ideas?

Ksw1

• Archived User
Chip Insalled, Now What?
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2003, 07:20:00 AM »

Ypur Best Bet at this point is to burn the Slayers to Memorex CD-RW media and try.

Because you have the Thomson (spelling??) Drive, you are going to have a hard time getting it to recognize the CD-RW disk you create -  It's a "known" issue with these drives.

Other posters have reported having to reboot many many times befre their CD-RW media can be read by this make of drive......

Some posters report NEVER having success with CD-RW disks in these drives. (Bummer)

Your only other option is DVD-R media, and this of corse would require having a DVD Burner, or knowing someone who has one.

Of course there is the option of replacing your Thomson DVD drive with the Samsung model, but I would think you would want to try all other options before going that route. (Your gonna want to buy a new Harddrive - Not a DVD drive!)

I would suggest you do the following:

Get your self some brand new, Memorex CD-RW media. (2)

Copy a Music CD to one of the New CD-RW disks at the slowest possible burn speed.

Place the burned music CD-RW in your Xbox with Xbit DISABLED and see if your Thomson DVD can read it.

If it does, your in luck. Burn the Slayers to your other NEW Memorex CD-RW disk (at slowest possible burn rate) and try to boot the Slayers in your Xbox with the Xbit ENABLED.

It sounds like you've got the Xbit installation done.... You now are having to deal with a Thomson DVD drive that is known to be "dicey" when it comes to booting a burned CD-RW disk.

Do you have access to to NERO software for burning in lieu of the Adaptec EZ CD Creator Software? If so, I would suggest using it as it seems most of the previous posts I have read discourage people from using Adaptec EZ CD Creator.

Keep us posted!

Ksw1

• Archived User
Chip Insalled, Now What?
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2003, 07:32:00 AM »

I forgot to address this issue:

I asked earlier if you had created and flashed a "colored" bios to your Xbit. Your response was "Not sure what you mean"

Heres the Deal:

With the Evox Bios files, the Boot screen looks just like the the MS boot screen - Hence - No way to tell if Xbit is actually working.

Most users download XBtools software (Bios Hacking Utility) and modify bios file so that the boot sceen is different. Imagine changing the color of the giant X that you see from Green (or whatever color it is - I'm color blind) to Purple. Each time you boot and see a Purple X you know your booting from Xbit and not default system boot.

If your not comfortable with Hacking the bios, download one of the X2 bios files as the word "Xecuter" will appear under the word MS on your boot screen, letting you know you are booting from the Xbit.

Im sure you can find X2 4977 from the same place you found M7 - Just don't forget:

1. A 256k Bios files needs to go into a 256k slot on your Xbit.
2. Adjust those dip switches if you install bios to a different bank

Keep us posted

FunkmaztafoX

• Archived User
Chip Insalled, Now What?
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2003, 12:09:00 PM »

ok i'ved burned it to a cd-rw...trying right now to burn it to a cd-rw AT SLOWEST SPEED.

a guy from slayers chat (who's an admin) told me that i can run slayers from an unformatted (new 120gb) HD. so i put in the new hd and turned chip on.  Put in slayers disc and it reads disc then says xbox cannot recognize disc.  dry.gif

with the xbtool, where can i get it and how do i edit it since i don't have evox installed on hd

FunkmaztafoX

• Archived User
Chip Insalled, Now What?
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2003, 12:59:00 PM »

Ypur Best Bet at this point is to burn the Slayers to Memorex CD-RW media and try.

juevosj

• Archived User
Chip Insalled, Now What?
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2003, 01:02:00 PM »

I am a pure noobie and had the same problem.  The Xbox seems to be very picky on the bootable media.  I used a TDK DVD-r with a demo copy of Nero6 and Slayers booted just fine.  Before that I was having ton of problems wih other cd-rw media.  I was getting the same errors you were getting.  Now I am modded and running perfectly with the X-bit and the pogo pin install.
Pages: [1] 2