xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Major Installation Xbit Problems  (Read 133 times)

chelrob

• Archived User
Major Installation Xbit Problems
« on: October 23, 2003, 03:32:00 PM »

Are you getting a green light on the external board?  Are you using a boot disk?

burdo

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2003, 12:39:00 AM »

I am at the same point unfortunately

Workshed

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2003, 02:19:00 AM »

forgot to say you can use XBTool to change the colours of the X-logo in your BIOS and then flash it to your xbit.

doc.twn

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2003, 04:51:00 AM »

i tried everything, i modified the bios image and stuff, but it still doesn't work

i suppose that the boot cd is not the issue here.

when i power up the xbox i should immediately get the custom bios, when i select the xecuter2 bios i should get the XECUTER2 tag below the xbox logo instead of 'MS'

the xbit never kicks in, the xbox always boots of the onboard bios.

what i found extremly strange is the first xbox, where i had a cheapmod installed before, worked just fine after i removed completely the cheapmod and wires and installed the xbit. i installed the xbit exactly the same way in all 3 consoles. but only it only works on the xbox where the cheapmod has been installed before.

and i never flashed the TSOP or anything on the xbox where the cheapmod was installed.

very very strange...

gadgetaddict

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2003, 09:48:00 AM »

some stupid suggestions:
1) make sure you correctly inserted the black wire harness to the black spot on each board, and the same with the yellow.  many folks have screwed those up.
2) you already colored your bioses (right?) so that shouldn't be the issue
3) make sure stealth mode is OFF (dip switch #4, i'm not sure if you want it on or off)
4) did you try booting without the drives installed, and just the colored bios(es)?
5) when you flashed the xbit, did you get a "verify does match" message showing a good flash?
6) I didn't do the wire install, but did you make sure the wire harness was facing the right way, installed all the way, etc.?
i don't know what else to suggest - but i'd be interested to read the answers to the above.
Best of luck!

eug_one

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 03:16:00 AM »

QUOTE (doc.twn @ Oct 25 2003, 07:24 PM)
well

1) all wires are connected correctly
2) bios is colored
3) stealth mode is off, otherwise the LED on the external board wouldn't glow green
4) i didn't try that yet. but it did now after reading your post but unfortunately it doesn't change a thing
5) yep, verify ok
6) the wires are all soldered correctly. i even tried using the d0 above th MCPX chip and the alternative d0 on the back of the board. checked continuity and stuff, everything seems to be soldered correctly.

still doesn't work sad.gif

i guess that i'll drop the xbit and use a cheapmod instead. it doesn't have that many features but at least it works...

I am going to send in my XBIT for a replacement.  When I let Diveno know of the issue, they responded,

"Sorry to here about this problem, please return the product to

Divineo UK
PO Box 137
Manchester
M22 8XA
UK

We will send you a replacement, on delivery, of your returned product.

PLEASE INCLUDE A NOTE OF WHAT ACTIONS YOU REQUIRE"

This is under the assumption you ordered from them, guess bottom line is that I have a feeling there are faulty XBIT chips out there.

eug_one

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 08:29:00 AM »

From the 20 or 30 some attempts and reading a lot of other posts, I found the green light does NOT mean everything is aligned.  I had a pro solder the thing via header and wire and the thing still did not work.  They are sending me a replacement chip, which I guess I'll put up on eBay or something.  Anyone in Virginia wanna buy a new XBIT?

joker81

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2003, 01:55:00 PM »

QUOTE (cgdef @ Oct 27 2003, 09:07 PM)
The very first batch of xbit mod chips has a serious problem with the hid controller on teh modchip and compatibility with the MS driver. It sounds like they never tested it on any new machine and they never knew about the bug. However as far as a bad batch goes I am pretty sure that there is no such thing. I had some problems with the chip at first because apparently alligning the pogopins is not as easy as it looks. It does not matter how tight you screw it in as long as it is making a connection at all points. Actually when everything goes in place if you had screwed it tightly you will hear a click (very neat feature). Well anyway after I had to battle the mod for about a day I got it working. The green light on the externel board DOES NOT mean that everything is aligned. It simply means that your mod chip is getting power. I got x2 bios working fine but unfortunatelly the x2 bios has serious issues booting from a multi game disks without a replacement dashboard. The M7 bios would not work no matter what I change. That was quite a disappointment. Other than that the mod is nice but the company really has to do something about that hid controller and the EXTREMELY low transfer speed on the usb connector.

I think I would rather have slow speed then have corruption. I mean for a 256k file it takes max two minutes although long for usb its still not bad for the ease of use. And how often are you changing your bios where 2 minutes per 256 or 8 for a meg file is gonna really matter. When I was first installing it was bothering me cuz i kept on trying to get my box to work but finally realized i should re-align the chip.
Btw the M7 Bios worked excellently on mine no problems what so ever. I think I have a version 1.4 but im not sure.

Workshed

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2003, 02:18:00 PM »

they cant do much about the transfer spped anyway, the speed is so low because the wires going from the internal board tothe external are unshielded. However if they make them shielded the transfer speed can be increased but the wires will no longer fit out of the slots at the side of the xbox.

gadgetaddict

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2003, 05:22:00 AM »

yeah, once the bioses are installed, you really don't touch the usb again (until the next new improved bios comes out, and for the two minutes, you can always drink a soda or take a crap!) - M7 works fine on my 1.0 box.  make sure you have a good copy of it, and make sure the verify worked - i really dont' see any differences between M7 and X2 except the xectuer title, and that M7 handles the G drive (i only have a 120 gig anyway)
Sure, I'd like faster transfer speeds, but really, how often are you doing it?  and roughly 1 second per K isn't all that slow - try writing that by hand!

WhatsAModchip?

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2003, 07:46:00 AM »

sounds like your d0 is not grounded, solder a wire from your d0 to a screw on your mobo and update us on what happens.