xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbit And Windows 98  (Read 100 times)

Rohaq

• Archived User
Xbit And Windows 98
« on: October 20, 2003, 08:45:00 AM »

I'm trying to flash my Xbit from Windows 98, after I couldn't in XP.

On the same setup (A7N8X Deluxe nForce2), with 98 on a different partition. USB 1.1 seems to be installed correctly (Win98 doesn't support USB 2.0, afaik), although I don't have any other USB hardware to test it with, there are no problems in the Device Manager bar the fact that I haven't installed the drivers for my 56k modem and TV card.

Basically, has anyone had any experience with this, and if so, how did you get it working?

Thanks.

moistness

• Archived User
Xbit And Windows 98
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 08:54:00 AM »

ive already told you to get a pci usb card! <_<

THAT is how you get it working! either that or send your xbit back and wait for them to sort the problem!

this is the third time you have asked, search next time , its been answered many times before!!!

Rohaq

• Archived User
Xbit And Windows 98
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 09:44:00 AM »

I know you told me to, I'm just looking through all of the options, preferably the cheapest since I'm skint :P

This thread was more specific to getting the Xbit to flash properly with Win98 though, at the moment the flashing program can't even detect the chip! At least it could connect in XP, even if the program crashed mid-format :|

moistness

• Archived User
Xbit And Windows 98
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2003, 09:48:00 AM »

ok sorry dude, i have a feeling its the chipset thats the prob, not the os! just plain incompatible!! nice of dms to blame nec/invidia and not admit fault tho wouldnt ya say!!

those usb cards are damn cheap tho, just get the cheapest one you possibly can! i think someone said thay got theirs for about $10

Rohaq

• Archived User
Xbit And Windows 98
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2003, 11:57:00 AM »

I've found an NEC USB 2.0 driver!

Problem? It's handily been put into a setup exe, that extracts it automatically to an unknown directory, from which windows is supposed to 'automatically' install it.

Yeah, right! :lol:

If I could extract the files from the setup, I could install them manually, but i'm unsure what compression it uses.
Here's the file:
ftp://www.siig.com/USB2.0_v2.06.exe

If anyone can get them out, be sure to give me a poke ;)

tecgeeks

• Archived User
Xbit And Windows 98
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2003, 12:50:00 PM »

QUOTE (Rohaq @ Oct 20 2003, 03:21 PM)
I've found an NEC USB 2.0 driver!

Problem? It's handily been put into a setup exe, that extracts it automatically to an unknown directory, from which windows is supposed to 'automatically' install it.

Yeah, right! :lol:

If I could extract the files from the setup, I could install them manually, but i'm unsure what compression it uses.
Here's the file:
ftp://www.siig.com/USB2.0_v2.06.exe

If anyone can get them out, be sure to give me a poke ;)

Three files were extracted from that .exe to the folder "C:WinNT/Drivers/ousb2" on my Win2K machine:

ousb2.inf
ousb2hub.sys
ousbehci.sys

I can zip them and send 'em to you. PM me with your email address....

Rohaq

• Archived User
Xbit And Windows 98
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2003, 02:22:00 PM »

PM'd :)

Thanks!

sircoarz

• Archived User
Xbit And Windows 98
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2003, 02:31:00 PM »

dont matter what version of chip you got if its nvidia it will not work on ANY OS system tried them all with an AMD athlon MOBO

tecgeeks

• Archived User
Xbit And Windows 98
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2003, 02:32:00 PM »

B)  

Rohaq

• Archived User
Xbit And Windows 98
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2003, 03:55:00 PM »

Bad news; the driver didn't work :(

Going to try some Adaptec drivers next :P

EDIT:- No luck with them either :(

This post has been edited by Rohaq: Oct 20 2003, 11:01 PM

tecgeeks

• Archived User
Xbit And Windows 98
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2003, 04:33:00 PM »

Sorry it didn't work  :(

I think you should follow moistness' advice and get yourself a PCI USB card. It's the least path of resistance  ;)

Or return the XBIT and get something else....

sircoarz

• Archived User
Xbit And Windows 98
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2003, 07:16:00 PM »

my suggestion would be to complain to XBIT becaue its pretty hopeless on flashing the xbit if you have an Nvidia chip becaues i have TRIED ALL

Operating SYSTEMS

so guys dont bother either get a PCI USB adapter etcc...... it might work then again who knows! XBIT Is really coming out more expensive with thier little FUCK UP

Rohaq

• Archived User
Xbit And Windows 98
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2003, 05:48:00 AM »

Got to agree, this is incredibly annoying. VIA and NEC USB chips are amongst the most popular in the world. I can't flash on my sister's PC either, and she's got an SiS motherboard and Celeron processor, so it's not just restricted to the A7N8X or AMD chipsets/processors, as someone said.

I'm tempted to send it back and either have it reprogrammed (and pay shipping there and back for the privilege :angry:), buy a USB 2.0 PCI card (again, paying) or just RMA and get a full refund (and try and claim shipping charges too, wasting my cash :|)

If I end up sending it back indefinitely, I think I'll switch to a pogopin xecuter :)