xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ok Dms , Wheres The New Flash?  (Read 121 times)

Arakon

• Archived User
Ok Dms , Wheres The New Flash?
« on: October 13, 2003, 04:40:00 PM »

new flash?
as far as they know all they offered is that you send the chip back to get the usb controller reprogrammed, there's nothing end-user flashable on the chip but the bios itself, and the bios has nothing at all to do with the controller.
and it says that quite clearly on their page too.

We tracked down the problem and we will have a patch ready for you latest on monday the 13th. Unfortunately we will have to reprogram the USB-controller of the X-B.I.T if you are using Windows®XP together with a chipset which is causing the PC-Flash software to lock up. If that is the case please send back your X-B.I.T to your supplier, we will reprogram/exchange all devices quickly.

speedracer

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2003, 08:24:00 PM »

Sorry i jumped the gun but this really sux... i have to pay to send back and i shouldnt have to... its not my fault that its not compatible with nforce2 chipset / boards ? right ?  Its happening to a lot of ppl so far that ive been reading.. I guess everybodys right should just have waited for x3 to come out because they always put out something good and also give tech support , come to forums and participate   and also dont leave the customer hanging on whats goin on ....

xbox_2003

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2003, 12:58:00 AM »

From the dms webstie:

09 Oct 03 We got informed that a few people have problems using the X.B.I.T PC-Flash software on systems running Windows®XP.

It took a while to investigate that problem but we think we have found the reason now:
We have tested the PC-Flash software together with the X-B.I.T hardware successfully on several PCs running Windows®XP. We can confirm that the problem is not only caused by the operation system itself. The error occurs when using Windows®XP together with a certain "NEC" chipset on your PC-mainboard. However this is a problem which is very difficult to track down since we can not test the software on all the different combinations of operation systems and chipsets out there. Due to the large number of different chipset manufacturers it might turn out that there is another combination of Windows®XP and a chipset which could cause similar issues.

We tracked down the problem and we will have a patch ready for you latest on monday the 13th. Unfortunately we will have to reprogram the USB-controller of the X-B.I.T if you are using Windows®XP together with a chipset which is causing the PC-Flash software to lock up. If that is the case please send back your X-B.I.T to your supplier, we will reprogram/exchange all devices quickly. We are sorry for the inconvenience but please be aware that we designed our product according to the official USB standards and that the problem is not caused by us however some PC hardware manufacturers do not go inline with those standards.

If you are using Windows®XP and if you have problems with the PC-Flash software please let us know the type of chipset and PC-mainboard you are using. Rest assured that we will offer support through our distributors and reslove all issues.

moistness

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2003, 01:19:00 AM »

i was reading it as addressing two probs, one that i am having, which is getting all sorts of errors when trying to flash like " unable to read id_command" or something which would be sorted with a patch, and then another problem that was causing the flash program to lock up ( not the screen refresh prob) which would require reprogramming/replacement of the chip :-

quote:
"We tracked down the problem and we will have a patch ready for you latest on monday the 13th. Unfortunately we will have to reprogram the USB-controller of the X-B.I.T if you are using Windows®XP together with a chipset which is causing the PC-Flash software to lock up. If that is the case please send back your X-B.I.T to your supplier, we will reprogram/exchange all devices quickly."

uhh.gif

well my software does not lock up, but it wont flash!

so are we waiting for a software patch or not?
the grammer etc is even worse than mine!! biggrin.gif

smo

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2003, 09:31:00 AM »

It seems odd that the SAME hardware works with Windows 2000, but not with Windows XP. Obviously there's a way to work around this in hardware, but most certainly there should be a way to work around this in software! Maybe new USB drivers? Maybe it'd be possible to downgrade to Windows 2000 USB drivers? I'm not a device driver developer, but I know a thing or two.

My NForce board seems to use MS's USB drivers (Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller, driver dated 1.7.2001). There could be updates to this driver or an entirely different driver that could work.

XBOXerPT

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2003, 09:39:00 AM »

MY also locks up, on a ASUS P4P800, but if I use the Xbit flash prog in win 2000 comp mode under XP it works very well no probs at all wink.gif

Arakon

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2003, 10:59:00 AM »

as I said below, try getting a cheapo USB 2.0 pci card, it worked fine for me and cost me just 12 bucks, plus gives me 3 more USB ports to use.

smo

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2003, 01:46:00 AM »

QUOTE (Arakon @ Oct 14 2003, 07:59 PM)
as I said below, try getting a cheapo USB 2.0 pci card, it worked fine for me and cost me just 12 bucks, plus gives me 3 more USB ports to use.

Which cheap USB 2 card did you get? The really cheap ones for sale here are: Chaintech USB-CT2 and Edimax 4 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card. Any idea if these work?

moistness

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2003, 02:28:00 AM »

i think any should work, as it goes through the pci slot rather than use the onboard stuff!

dtechlogic

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2003, 11:26:00 AM »

For Example i have a USb router for 4 ports.  Would i have problem with it. I have A Hp Pavillion 8756c. I am running windows xp, Me.  With the kind of computer i have will i able to flash the chip with it. sad.gif

Rohaq

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2003, 03:45:00 PM »

QUOTE (dtechlogic @ Oct 15 2003, 08:26 PM)
For Example i have a USb router for 4 ports.  Would i have problem with it. I have A Hp Pavillion 8756c. I am running windows xp, Me.  With the kind of computer i have will i able to flash the chip with it. sad.gif

Good point, USB hubs would be much nicer than having to add an expansion card to gain something we technically already have wink.gif

speedracer

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2003, 06:35:00 PM »

keep us updated as if the router worked  ....

Arakon

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2003, 12:01:00 AM »

USB hubs only forward the original signal and clock, and since that isn't working, the forwarded signal can't work either.