xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Xbit Stealth/power Without Main Board Soldering  (Read 588 times)

thebigyin5555

• Archived User
Xbit Stealth/power Without Main Board Soldering
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2004, 11:36:00 PM »

QUOTE (thebigyin5555 @ Jan 28 2004, 07:22 AM)
Tommy Vercetti
WOW, that TUT is really good. But I am confused on the part where they show the power resistor to be soldered to??

How is that the same as sticking the wire in the plug with the yellow wires? (If you wanted to do it solderless) 

If you look to the bottom of the connector for the black wire for the USB connector you will see a small pad to which you solder the the resistor.

This is well highlighted on the DMS web site.

http://www.dms3.com/xbit_stm_power.htm 

I see what it points to but you solder it RIGHT to the resistor??? Like one of those little metal strips on the top? Or you do it underneath?

All this point does is give it POWER correct?? Hence the TUT on the first page that shows which yellow wire you can piggy back off of right?

You solder the resistor to the top of the Xbit (the correct way round), then solder the you're wire to the other side of the resistor, tin the other end of the wire and push it into pin two of the of the white connetor at the front of you're Xbox.

therebelious1

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2004, 12:17:00 AM »

QUOTE (thebigyin5555 @ Feb 2 2004, 09:36 AM)
QUOTE (thebigyin5555 @ Jan 28 2004, 07:22 AM)
Tommy Vercetti
WOW, that TUT is really good. But I am confused on the part where they show the power resistor to be soldered to??

How is that the same as sticking the wire in the plug with the yellow wires? (If you wanted to do it solderless) 

If you look to the bottom of the connector for the black wire for the USB connector you will see a small pad to which you solder the the resistor.

This is well highlighted on the DMS web site.

http://www.dms3.com/xbit_stm_power.htm 

I see what it points to but you solder it RIGHT to the resistor??? Like one of those little metal strips on the top? Or you do it underneath?

All this point does is give it POWER correct?? Hence the TUT on the first page that shows which yellow wire you can piggy back off of right?

You solder the resistor to the top of the Xbit (the correct way round), then solder the you're wire to the other side of the resistor, tin the other end of the wire and push it into pin two of the of the white connetor at the front of you're Xbox.

you dont solder any resistors to the xbit atall, its a diode, if you want my tutorial, pm me, it explains everything, and has pretty pictures of my xbox's insides

therebelious1

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2004, 01:41:00 AM »

QUOTE (Nokturn @ Feb 2 2004, 11:33 AM)
Hi,

Maybe a stupid question, I understand that one end of the wire goes to those yellow cables, but where does the other end of the wire conntect to? Do I need to solder it to the XBIT chip?

Would be great if someone could explain me how do to it, pictures would be very helpful. Thanks.

its all in my tutorial, want a copy? pm me

therebelious1

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2004, 01:45:00 AM »

i think i'm gonna have to edit the tutorial, i went back and had a look at it and it relies on you being able to identify which yellow connector to use by looking closely at the picture, it'd be better if there was an overview thingy like on the dms3 website.

for your information:
the yellow wire connector towards the front right hand side of the mobo is to be used here

xboxdawg

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2004, 07:48:00 AM »

Yeah, if you put the overview pic in your tutorial will be PERFECT!

Guys don't forget, you can take this one step further and use XBTool to change your bios to show a RED X and make the power light red when you have the modchip enabled. That will keep you from getting in trouble on Xbox Live.

It's pretty easy. You do have to reflash your chip but that's not hard.

Download XBTool from Xbox Scene.
Run XBTool on your PC
Open your Bios in Xbox Tool
Change the color settings
Save it as the same size file as your bios was to start with
Flash your chip with the new bios
You're done!

It works even if you don't do the power switch mod. If you'd rather stick with changing the dip switch to turn the mod chip on and off, you can still use this to show when the chip is on or off.

gadgetaddict

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2003, 06:54:00 AM »

Hi Gang!
I successfully installed my xbit last night, and have the power button stealth selection WITHOUT HAVING SOLDERED ON THE MOTHERBOARD.  Per prior posts, soldering the power resister is MUCH tougher than D0 and subject to many problems, so I found a link to avoid soldering the power button (and eject button) for the Chameleon.  Here's the link:
http://forums.xbox-s...ST&f=51&t=59371
(I want to give credit where it is due.  Click on the first word, the link "This" after the red disclaimer to see the photos)
Anyway, I first flashed the Xbit with M7, which I had previously colored with XBTool to make a red splash/logo and a red power button (kind of a warning against going on live).  I also selected the proper dip switches to boot from bank 3, where i loaded the bios.  I left switch 4 in the shipped position (off, so the mod is active).
when I booted, the mod's green light goes on, and the M7 bios kicks in, and the power button is red.  When I hold the power button on boot, the external LED goes off, the stock logo/dashboard loads, and the chip is disabled - simple as that - no meddling with dip switches for me!
I think the power button install is the ONLY way to go for the xbit - otherwise, what a waste of a feature!  do you really want to monkey around with dip switches?  I don't.
BTW - I of course had to solder the diode to the xbit, and solder the wire to the diode - neither was difficult, but i think dms should offer a $2 or so extra option for a wired diode that plugs into a header on the xbit - that way it would in fact be a completely solderless install.
If you're not happy about just slipping the wire into the pin on the power coupling, you could strip the yellow power wire, and then solder the xbit wire onto it, but that defeats what i was trying to do - leave the xbox completely untampered if i remove my stuff - for warranty purposes, etc.
I am a happy camper!
Here are some photos of what I'm talking about, they're hosted on my site, www.gadgetaddict.com

here'es the overview - i added green to show the diode, and also where the power coupling is:
Image Removed
here's the wire inserted into the pin (second pin, even though it looks like the first), and electrical tape helps things stay put:
Image Removed
and here's the final result, the power coupling back in place and the inserted wire secured with the electrical tape:
Image Removed

smo

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2003, 09:21:00 AM »

Nice looking trick, I'm going to try it myself as soon as I get enough wire for it (how long piece did you use?). I'm also wondering exactly to what pin did you insert the wire to? Just the Power pin (2) right?

Rohaq

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2003, 01:34:00 PM »

QUOTE (luniticlizard @ Oct 14 2003, 09:27 PM)
this allows you to turn the xbit on and off without touching the dip switch, right?  Does the led on the xbox flash or anything to let you know, or does the led on the xbit just turn off?  Just wondering, I have not tackled that step yet.

Modify a BIOS to change the LED colour and boot screen using XBTool, and it's easy to tell when a custom BIOS is enabled smile.gif

Rohaq

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2003, 02:12:00 PM »

Hm, could I do this mod with a soldering iron, or do I REALLY need a soldering pencil?

Reason I'm asking is I can borrow a soldering iron off a friend of mine, and I don't know whether or not he has a 15W soldering pencil.

gadgetaddict

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2003, 04:59:00 PM »

i did this with my clumsy soldering iron - you need to heat the diode so you have a bit of room to fool around with, ditto the wire, so no problemo - and you're not soldering the end of the inserted wire, that's left free, so you're really not doing detail work.  just be sure to clip the diode that goes through the circuit board and of course, be sure to insert the diode with the correct side to the board and the correct side to the wire!!!!!

smo

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2003, 10:30:00 AM »

Ok, I did this mod now and it works perfectly! I've installed X.B.I.T using pogo pins and used two wires that I plucked off the solder-installation connector. I soldered (using a 40W soldering station with a fine tip) the wires together first (single wire is too short), then to the diode (the wire endings have nice connectors that enable easy soldering if you squeeze the connector to the wire first) and finally the diode to the installed X.B.I.T chip. Applied some tape to critical points, such as the wires' connection and the power pin connection point. Put everything back together and it works!

Much easier than soldering to the mainboard, recommended!

Dew-It

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2003, 04:20:00 PM »

I think this should be stickied.

chelrob

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2003, 11:35:00 AM »

Awesome.  I'm going to do this when I open her up again to swap the HHD out for a 250 GB HDD.

Any wire preference, guage, solid core, etc?

chelrob

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2003, 11:11:00 PM »

I just did mine and it works!  Thanks for the tip.  WOOHOO!!!

Holding the power button on for 3 seconds will disable the xbit and boot to the M$ Dashboard.  LED on the external board is off.

Holding the power button for 1 second will enable the chip and boot to your hacked Dashboard.  LED on the external board is on.  

It takes a little practice though.  If you hold the power button in too long or not long enough the chip will light up but still boot to M$ Dashboard.

chelrob

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2003, 11:14:00 AM »

Bump.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5