xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Male Pin Header On X-bit?  (Read 175 times)

Peacemaker

• Archived User
Male Pin Header On X-bit?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2003, 11:54:00 AM »

QUOTE (svn @ Sep 29 2003, 08:52 PM)
QUOTE (Peacemaker @ Sep 29 2003, 08:43 PM)
QUOTE (svn @ Sep 29 2003, 08:12 PM)
http://www.dms3.com/...pin_install.htm

if i check this site, i dont see the problem.... ? I dont understand  blink.gif

This is about the pinheader install, not the pogopin install tongue.gif .

why making it hard? IF you can use the "easy" install. Or is the chip "better" using the other way?

ctrl+c ctrl+v  smile.gif

Sure there are other ways of installing the chip. But then you really wouldn't have any other option than removing your "old" pinheader.

Dew-It

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2003, 12:31:00 PM »

Did you see where the do is soldered onto the xbit. You have to solder a wire from the xbox's do to a pogo pin on xbit mod chip. Now the way they show it in the picture the pin header is facing toward you or up and the pogo pins are down. So now you have the DO wire soldered to the mainboard of the xbox and it also soldered to the xbit's do pogo pin. Ok now you have to flip the xbit's mod chip board around so that those header pins can be soldered onto the mainboard of the xbox. So now after you have flipped the board over you probably lost you solder connection to the DO on either the xbit or the xbox. Look at this picture you'll see what I mean. http://www.dms3.com/...der_install.htm

I think I'm gonna go with the wire installation.

moistness

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2003, 12:02:00 AM »

QUOTE (svn @ Sep 29 2003, 08:23 PM)
QUOTE (moistness @ Sep 29 2003, 10:08 AM)
nope i was right in the first place by the looks of things!

look here :-  http://www.dms3.com/...der_install.htm

now why the hell have they done that? that is just ridiculous!

every chip i have heard about has a normal female header socket ON THE CHIP!

so just to be bloody awkward they have gone and reversed it so all of us who have already soldered on headers for our other chips now have to desolder them and replace it with their socket!!!

NOT HAPPY!!!!!

why wont install it like this?

http://www.dms3.com/...pin_install.htm

smile.gif

thats the point in a pin header install!! no bloody pogopins! who wants to have to keep reaglining those? dry.gif

moistness

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2003, 12:21:00 AM »

oh well solder sucker and braid for me then! grr.gif  grr.gif  grr.gif

moistness

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2003, 02:19:00 AM »

oh great, ive just recieved my x-bit and there is no pin header socket included! grr.gif
now where the hell do i get one of those from? grr.gif  grr.gif

moistness

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2003, 05:38:00 AM »

anyone?

uhh.gif

moistness

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2003, 09:18:00 AM »

oh well ive found where to get one from, gotta buy it in a pack with a 32pin plcc socket and a pin header (smile.gif) still its only a fiver! might even mod my x-bit to make it like they should have in the first place  tongue.gif

http://www.cheapmod.com/parts.htm

going to have a BIG moan in the x-bit forum when they finally get it open  laugh.gif

sotorn

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2003, 12:36:00 PM »

I'm confussed, why not just use a piece of ribbon cable with 2 females that way you can switch back and forth or is that not an option?

speedbump47

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2003, 02:31:00 PM »

Sotorn:

I tried that with a cheapmod once, which had male pins on it.  It seemed like a good idea, since I had an IDE cable which I butchered laying around.

The problem with using a pre-made ribbon cable is that the pins get reversed left<-->right when you try to do this.

It's kind of hard to imagine (at least for me), but if you have a cable, imagine the top right corner pin is the #1 pin and the one below it is #2.  You put one end on the chip, and put the other connector on the motherboard.  The #1 pin on the chip is connected to the #2 spot on the motherboard.

It would work if you made your own cable.  I know this b/c after using the straight cable method, I tore off one end of the IDE cable, and soldered the proper wires into place on the LPC.  It then became a wire adaptor with a female pin header connection.

That worked great to boot up, but I screwed up all my work when I tried to flash the modchip, and it kept freezing up, probably because of the length (and crappiness) of the IDE cable.

Anyways, long story short, a length of ribbon cable designed for IDE, etc, probably won't work.  If you have some sort of straight connect cable, it'll do, but you might run into issues when flashing through the xbox.

speedbump47

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2003, 02:40:00 PM »

On a separate note, but along the same lines as sotorn, is there anywhere that sells a female/female coupler?

I had earlier tried fashioning one out of a normal 12 pin female connector, but it served as little more than an aligning tool to get the 2 sets of males pins together, but nothing to ensure proper connection.

Since we're soldering the d0 point anyways (and don't need the pogos), it shouldn't matter if the coupler raises the chip a bit higher off of the board, since there hopefully would still be enough clearance for the DVD drive.

n_i_x

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2003, 04:30:00 PM »

I had also thought about the use of a female-female coupler if available.  I would be worried about clearance above to the DVD drive and possibly shorting out the chip by making contact with the metal on the DVD drive.

The best thing to do would be to purchase an SMT female adapter and solder it to the chip.  This way those of us who frequently swap chips to test can do so.

D.M.S. If you are listening please change the design to use a female connector.  Or at least let people know if they already have a modchip using a pinheader they will need to remove the existing pinheader because you chose to be different for whatever reason.

speedbump47

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2003, 05:16:00 PM »

Nix:

My X2 had some adhesive backing that provided insulation, or worst case, electric taping the back would work fine too.

If the DVD crushes the chip, that's problematic though. smile.gif

Perplexer

• Recovered User
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2003, 05:06:00 AM »

I have some 12-pin female pin headers which can be installed on your motherboard.  Or better yet, remove the male pinheader from your X-bit and replace it with the female.  They can be used for through-hole (motherboard) or SMT (X-bit) with simple bending:

user posted image

PM if interested.

moistness

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2003, 08:52:00 AM »

smile.gif

i reckon you should advertise your sockets in the buy and sell area because im sure i'm not the only person who is/will have this prob! wink.gif

call it the "should have been in the bloody kit x-bit adaptor"  laugh.gif

moistness

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2003, 08:27:00 AM »

biggrin.gif

its got a nice header socket on now! rolleyes.gif  the one it should have had in the first place dry.gif
Pages: 1 [2]