xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: 2mb For Bios  (Read 498 times)

McGeyser

• Archived User
2mb For Bios
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2003, 11:30:00 PM »

I understand your point. Mine is; when they fix this problem for good, what will anyone have to complain about? Wouldn't that make it the best PS2 chip ever? Couldn't they do that with Xbit?

Xeero

• Archived User
2mb For Bios
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2003, 06:06:00 AM »

QUOTE (McGeyser @ Aug 25 2003, 03:30 AM)
I understand your point. Mine is; when they fix this problem for good, what will anyone have to complain about? Wouldn't that make it the best PS2 chip ever? Couldn't they do that with Xbit?

Do what with X-B.I.T.??  Fix a bug to make it the best Xbox chip ever?  I guess I don't quite follow.

I'd really love to see something revolutionary in a mod chip, regardless of who releases it.  Larger ROM size (when 1MB first came out, and now with 2MB and larger) is nice, but I consider the last revolutonary advances to be the inclusion of a flashable ROM and the exploitation of the LPC bus.  If X-B.I.T. has something new, I'd like to hear it.  Unfortunately they're not really throwing us anything, so we're forced to either wait and find out as fact, or speculate.

0s1r1s

• Archived User
2mb For Bios
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2003, 07:05:00 AM »

blink.gif the USB connection from the modchip to the PC is something really new which will be very useful for people like me who don't have any parallel port on their motherboard.
Xeero, I really don't understand why you hate the XBit at this point, with it you will be able to have both a 1Mb Bios (which will certainly come after the next 512k X4978 bios) and a 512k debug bios.
So you really can not say that XBit doesn't offers us something new...  blink.gif

Xeero

• Archived User
2mb For Bios
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2003, 07:30:00 AM »

QUOTE (0s1r1s @ Aug 25 2003, 11:05 AM)
Sure the XBit has something new!  blink.gif the USB connection from the modchip to the PC is something really new which will be very useful for people like me who don't have any parallel port on their motherboard.
Xeero, I really don't understand why you hate the XBit at this point, with it you will be able to have both a 1Mb Bios (which will certainly come after the next 512k X4978 bios) and a 512k debug bios.
So you really can not say that XBit doesn't offers us something new...  blink.gif

What in the world...?  I don't hate the X-B.I.T., and I never said it doesn't have anything new.  I said it has nothing revolutionary, and I would be have to be 12 beers in the hole to consider USB-flashing revolutionary.  While the X2.2 was the first chip to be 1.3-compatible, it was something new (and catered to those who had a 1.3 board similar to how the X-B.I.T. caters to those who have no LPT port), but I simply don't consider it revolutionary.  It did not change the face of the Xbox modchip industry the way that LPC mods and flashable mods did.

I've made it clear in several threads that larger flash ROM sizes are not as useful as they used to be, given the advent of Phoenix BIOS Loader, so I'm not swayed by a 2MB chip on the X-B.I.T., nor will I be swayed if the X3 has a 4MB chip on it.

Xeero

• Archived User
2mb For Bios
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2003, 07:33:00 AM »

QUOTE (Xeero @ Aug 25 2003, 10:06 AM)
<snip>
If X-B.I.T. has something new, I'd like to hear it.  Unfortunately they're not really throwing us anything, so we're forced to either wait and find out as fact, or speculate.

To clarify, I meant a new feature that they haven't yet told us about.

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
2mb For Bios
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2003, 07:51:00 AM »

So far.. DMS have not come forward with any new info or help.. and from what I can tell.. they haven't been much help to the only guy officially selling the chips.. www.xbox-wired.com

not a good sign.

As for features.. USB is great.. but all that is is a pipe.  It isn't a new feature.  Xodus and Xecuter could have given it to us before.. but we demand cheap chips first and formost.. so LPT was the way to go.

BTW people.. to get the pre-order price on XBIT.. you actually have to PRE-ORDER the chip from www.xbox-wired.com.

They have an account here on XS.. which I made for them.. but they appear to not be interested in promoting their chip.

0s1r1s

• Archived User
2mb For Bios
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2003, 08:20:00 AM »

xbox-wired.com isn't the only website selling XBits officially, it's the only one in USA, but in Europe you can order the chip all over the Divineo Network.

McGeyser

• Archived User
2mb For Bios
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2003, 02:23:00 PM »

Do what with X-B.I.T.?? Fix a bug to make it the best Xbox chip ever? I guess I don't quite follow.

I meant fix the bug in DMS3 for PS1 mode that people complain about, that can be remedied by Bios revert until the latest revision is released. The DMS3 is the best PS2 chip out there, yes why couldn't they make Xbit the best Xbox chip ever? You don't think they can prog a Bios, or add .xbe in bios support? It's possible right? 2M is room to grow. Who would have thought 4978 was going to be a 1M bios a year ago? Maybe the developers, maybe those with foresight. Maybe the DMS team is ahead of the cut is all I'm saying, why bash it? Why be afraid of change or healthy competition? USB would make life easy, especially with a functional FTP Bios integrated. $15 more to never see a bad LPT verification code, or fragged lite chip would be worth it to alot of people if they knew all the facts ahead of time.
I know nothing official of the DMS Team other than their past track record and there dedication to
improving their product. I am not a paid representative nor am I endorsed to speak on their behalf, I just have seen the PS2 version in action, and their support forums and want more of the same for Xbox. Competition spurns price breaks and new developments/advances.
beerchug.gif

dmsdude90

• Archived User
2mb For Bios
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2003, 06:23:00 AM »

the chip will be better than the xecuter 2 pro and lite becasue of usb and 2mb  don't diss the chip  

the x3 will probably be better but dont be such a fag

Spice Guy

• Archived User
2mb For Bios
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2003, 06:55:00 AM »

Just thought i would add my 2 cents worth.

With the amount of mod chips out there any purchase is made through personal choice, yeah we can all say this is the best chip, but some people always have problems with modchips, when other peoples are working great.

I've just bought an XBOX, and was going to go with the executer v2.2,  but i chose to pre-order the xbit as i personally liked the idea of being able to flash the chip via usb, as well as the fact it has two methods of being installed, im gonna try the no solder to start with, if it works well i will leave it, but if not i will solder it.  The 2mb flash is useful and to be honest it only makes a difference if you are gonna use, but with the release of the 1mb bios i would sooner have a 2mb flashable bios so as not to limit myself if larger bioses are released.

In my ps2 i have a Neo 4.1, which when i bought it was the most advanced mod chip there was, and it wasnt easy to install, but its still going strong and every game i have got with it works flawlessly, if i was to get a modchip for the ps2 now i would go for the DMS 3, as i personally like the features that it has got.

Thats it.

chinmi

• Archived User
2mb For Bios
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2003, 10:59:00 PM »

i just hope if the dms release the x-bit it will use the same 9 wire adaptor like the xecuter series... so i can easily changed the mod-chip without having to do a solder install again....

dmsdude90

• Archived User
2mb For Bios
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2003, 03:01:00 PM »

biggrin.gif that would be extremely easy to replace the xecuter

i am not dissing the xbit but i don't love it
i am waiting for the x3 specs to come out if the xbit is better i will buy it if the the x3 is better i will pre order that it is simple wink.gif

Reaper527

• Archived User
2mb For Bios
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2003, 09:51:00 AM »

if i saw this thread when it came out when all bioses where 256k (except debug bios) i would have voted yes the 2 meg wasn't needed, however now that team x-ecuter is releasing 512k and 1meg bios the 2 meg seems much more reasonable. i personally already have an x2 lite in my xbox and will be keeping that though.

JohnA

• Archived User
2mb For Bios
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2003, 10:49:00 AM »

As a Matrix chip user, i'm going for the X-B.I.T when released. Speaking of the delays, maybe they are adding 1.4 support?

DeVante

• Archived User
2mb For Bios
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2003, 12:37:00 AM »

I am in love with the idea of the X.B.I.T., but let me point out a few things:

1) Just because DMS makes an awesome PS2 chip doesn't mean their XBOX chip will be great.

2) PSX backups do play on a PS2 with a DMS3 installed.

3) 2Mbit is great, although unneeded. 2Mbit is not the standard, and probably won't be for a very, very long time (if ever). In fact, there are a lot of people who already own chips such as the x2.2 that won't want to buy yet another modchip. In light of this, everyone has chips with 1Mbit. Therefore; no one is going to make a 2Mbit BIOS when everyone has 1Mbit chips. This would be alienating a large mass of modchip users. The only thing 2Mbit will ever be good for is having a few more BIOSes on the same chip - why you'd install this many BIOSes is unclear to me.

4) USB is awesome. How often do you really flash your chip using your PC, though?

5) The X.B.I.T. does in fact have a solder install method. This is from the DMS's XBIT site: "Optional connectors with pre-prepared wire, for those that wish to connect the MOD by soldering." Looking at the specs on the site, however, makes me wonder if a dip switch/control panel will be included. Again, from the site: "Disable and Enable Switch, MOD status LED indicator and a Mini USB connector (for flash file transfer) on an external “control panel”."

So does this mean to flash the chip we have to remove the control panel?  Is the control panel even coming with the chip? A silly question, but the site leads one to believe a control panel is optional, and thus an extra expense.

6) Let's say this chip comes out and everyone who is excited about it gets one. Well what happens when there's a revision to fix something a month later? X.B.I.T. 1.1. This is the risk you take when bringing a new chip to the market.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4