xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: This Wouldn't Work, Would It?  (Read 93 times)

pj325is

• Archived User
This Wouldn't Work, Would It?
« on: October 17, 2003, 09:29:00 AM »

(IMG:http://www.boomspeed.com/pj325is/controller.jpg)

I took my mad catz wireless controller apart...and subsequently broke a battery wire.  While repairing it, I noticed the thing that I THINK is the transmitter, is separate from the rest of the controller.

I was wondering if maybe I could take it out and ghetto rig it to make an MS controller wireless.

(IMG:http://www.boomspeed.com/pj325is/thingy.jpg)

Taking it off was surprisingly easy.

Without getting in to "how will you power it?" ..etc, is this even remotely possible?

Arakon

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2003, 09:38:00 AM »

I'd guess the driving circuits for the transmitter are on the pad, so without them, the transmitter would be useless.

dingo3x

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2003, 09:38:00 AM »

in theory it would be, but there r 2 different signal types you r dealing with.  on a wireless contoller, the electircal is based partialy on m4 bullshit, and based on the manufactuor bullshit.  the only part that would be compatible would be the receiver.  but maybe someone could figure it out.

pj325is

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2003, 02:18:00 PM »

Ok scratch that idea.

I think I'm just going to internalize the controller pod.  I'll mount the receiver inside, and put expansion slots inside and cut holes in the case to access them.

Will the thickness of the xbox case, and the fact that it's not transparent (the controller and receiver pod are transparent) hurt range much?  Or will it not be too noticable?

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2003, 02:34:00 PM »

there is some guy who did this (SN: jackson maybe?)

he made a box called the "x-cube" and hardwired wirless controlers in. I helped him design a circuit to switch to the controler ports automatically when a normal controler was plugged in. I dont remembering him haveing any problems with controler reception and they were inside a metal box.

also if you're interested in doing the same switching thing he used my hardwire DVD dongle tut as a basis (check my sig)

I dont think you'll have any problems but you're signal might get a little sketchy toward the end of the controlers battery life.

pj325is

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2003, 03:44:00 PM »

QUOTE (twistedsymphony @ Oct 17 2003, 07:28 PM)
there is some guy who did this (SN: jackson maybe?)

he made a box called the "x-cube" and hardwired wirless controlers in. I helped him design a circuit to switch to the controler ports automatically when a normal controler was plugged in. I dont remembering him haveing any problems with controler reception and they were inside a metal box.

also if you're interested in doing the same switching thing he used my hardwire DVD dongle tut as a basis (check my sig)

I dont think you'll have any problems but you're signal might get a little sketchy toward the end of the controlers battery life.

Yeah I read your tutorial, and I was planning to do the same thing for the internal controller receiver.

Do you know if the expansion slots inside the xbox will work when the wireless controller is in sleep mode, or off?