xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Homebrew Modchip Possibility  (Read 23 times)

Julius Pleaser

• Archived User
Homebrew Modchip Possibility
« on: January 11, 2006, 02:11:00 PM »

I understand people who want to do this cause they want a challenge and for fun.  But it sounds like this is your first modchip install.  spend the $15 to get a DuoX2 and save yourself the crazy amount of wiring and whatnot.

otherguy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 08:29:00 PM »

you've probably already checked this out... however if you havn't it may help shed light on the area.

Check out the homebrew section of the xbox-scene tutorials.

-otherguy

truzenn

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 04:38:00 AM »

I was using this tutorial as a comparison but was stuck on the wiring. It shows 2 types of chips though and what I was stuck on was which one to look at. On the data sheet for the chip I have it says it has eeprom pinouts and command set. But It also has that it is an flash rom.

Now as far as programming it, I dont have a pc with this type of socket. I do have a couple network cards with the longer pdip type socket. Would it hurt anything to build an adapter for the chip I have to work in that type of socket?

truzenn

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 05:56:00 AM »

Finally Fixed......! This is probably under another catagory of the forums now but I just wanted to follow through as it could help someone else. I have been working on this box for about a year or two now, when time is available. I got it for free because the person who owned it broke it and just got a new system. It went to the clock error number with a flashing green and red eject led. The tsop wasnt flashed and no modchip had been attached. I already had an xbox with the tsop flashed and had done a number of other peoples boxes. I decided that I would find a way to fix this box without a modchip. Mainly because I didnt have one and can't really afford one. So I have tried every other avenue I could and finally ended up with a solution.....

This is how I did it. I have about 10 or 12 stock xbox hard drives sitting in my basement, collecting dust. I grabbed one up and got the disk out with the eeprom that it is tied to. Then located the eeprom chip on the mb and attempted to desolder it. This size chip was a first for me. I figured what could I lose though it was already dead. it went well... Then I located the schematics for the easy I2c bus programmer and attempted to build it That was probably the hardest part and the part that took the most amount of time. I used parts from junk I had laying around did research on the parts and learned to read the schematic. The programmer didnt work the first two times I built it but the third times a charm. I finally figured out just two connections had to be moved. Many hours staring at the programmer and the schematic comparing. I riged up a way to connect the tiny chip to a normal sized dip socket and flashed it with the  .bin file I mentioned earlier and soldered it back to the board put in the stock hdd I also mentioned earlier and It booted right up. It was like christmas. It took alot but I finally achieved my goal. Reading the forums was probably the biggest help, Thanks.