xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hotswap Flashing With An X2.6 Chip...  (Read 107 times)

--DANNY--

• Archived User
Hotswap Flashing With An X2.6 Chip...
« on: June 17, 2005, 08:37:00 PM »

A bios flash messed up on my Duox2 (white). The first bank has x2.5035 on it but it freezes at the "Config Live Loading..." screen, and the second bank SHOULD have FlashBios.303 on it, but the flash failed and it kept the old Cromwell Linux bios that came with the chip on it. But the only option available in the Cromwell Bios is to Etherboot and when I choose that option, it doesn't get past the line where it retrieves an IP from the DHCP server, even when it's correctly connected to my network.

So the only available option I have to is to either buy another Duox2 chip and use it to hotswap and flash the messed up chip, or to find a way to properly hotswap and flash using an x2.6 chip.

I tried connecting my X2.6 chip to the pinheader that the duox2 was on, and I connected the D0 wire and the switch to the x2.6 chip, but it FRAGS on both banks, and the banks have x2.5035 on one and FlashBios.303 on the other, but it Frags on both banks.
It's a v1.0 xbox and I'm using the correct bios's. So I'm obviously not connecting the x2.6 correctly? Is there anything I need to do differently? Because It seems that I can't just simply unplug the duox2 and plug in the x2.6 and have it boot ok.

Any help is much appreciated,
-Danny

Jtech|I

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 09:34:00 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if you can boot to Cromwell you can use an Eurasia flash disc to reflash the chip...

Unseen Shadow

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 11:23:00 PM »

You are correct smile.gif ... and even if he wasnt.... you could send the chip to someone else to be flashed...but with the prices of duo chips in the bst lately....it would probably be cheaper to just get a duox2 lite and use that to hotswap with

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 04:45:00 AM »

Bank 0 is indeed Cromwell Linux so use Eurasia to flash this.

HackDaBox

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 05:39:00 AM »

I doubt you have much of a problem at all smile.gif

If you are getting the "Config Live Loading..." screen then your bios image sounds fine to me smile.gif  you probly have an old config.ini from an earlier bios or have mucked upo the settings in the ini file. Try to boot a evox boot disc ( My HackDaBox Reflash Cd will do ) and if it boots then ftp in and delete the config.ini from E:

Or for flashing information using cromwell try my website here ...

http://members.lycos...2_Flashing.html

HackDaBox !

--DANNY--

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 01:14:00 PM »

Ok.. I will state my problem more clearly.

I used FlashBios that originally came on the chip to flash the 1mb bios that had the x2 bios on the first bank and FlashBios on the second.

But when it got half way through erasing the current bios (the yellow status bar displayed), it all of the sudden went REALLY fast through the last half of the process as if it didn't erase the second bank or something. Then it started the actual flashing of the bios (the green status bar displayed), but it stopped halfway.

In result, I ended up with an X2 bios on one bank that can't boot anything. I had let it sit on the "Config Live Loading..." screen for a half hour and it didn't do anything at all. There is NO x2config.ini on the HD. In fact, there isn't an HD in the xbox. Because the HD that I am going to use is currently locked to another xbox that I don't have anymore so I'm going to have to buy another HD. So without the x2config.ini file, it should be loading the default settings.

And how can I boot your HackDaBox Reflash Cd if it won't get past the config live loading screen? I already even made your HackDaBox Reflash Cd in hope that it'd work. But it won't boot it, because it doesn't even look for D:\default.xbe untill after the X animation and logo are displayed.

The other bank seems as though it didn't get flashed at all, it is still Cromwell in spite of the fact that it had erased it in the flashing process but didn't write anything over it.

So the Cromwell bios for some reason only has one option, to "Etherboot". Isn't there supposed to be 2 options? And when I goto Etherboot, it tweask out and freezes when retrieving an IP. And my network is setup correctly. I downloaded the Eurasia Discs, and even have them burned correctly, but now something is messed up on my LPC so the Duox2 only frags no matter what now.

-Danny

Jtech|I

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2005, 01:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(Unseen Shadow @ Jun 17 2005, 10:34 PM)
You are correct smile.gif ... and even if he wasnt.... you could send the chip to someone else to be flashed...but with the prices of duo chips in the bst lately....it would probably be cheaper to just get a duox2 lite and use that to hotswap with

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 02:51:00 PM »

You have made a lot of mistakes here. For a start you do not flash a 1MB bios to this chip. You flash 512k to one bank.
You ask a question about how to flash and then metion you have stuffed something on the LPC so the chip FRAGs anyway. (Were we supposed to guess this part)
You have no working HDD for the box so how on earth you propose to proceed is beyond me.
The Eurasia discs do work on bank 0. If it skips past and goes to the etherboot option then its not reading your Flash disc.
Before you get to that point you need to repair the LPC and fit a HDD to the box.
You need to do a lot of reading of tutorials before you go further

--DANNY--

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005, 03:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Jun 18 2005, 03:02 PM)
You have made a lot of mistakes here. For a start you do not flash a 1MB bios to this chip. You flash 512k to one bank.
You ask a question about how to flash and then metion you have stuffed something on the LPC so the chip FRAGs anyway. (Were we supposed to guess this part)
You have no working HDD for the box so how on earth you propose to proceed is beyond me.
The Eurasia discs do work on bank 0. If it skips past and goes to the etherboot option then its not reading your Flash disc.
Before you get to that point you need to repair the LPC and fit a HDD to the box.
You need to do a lot of reading of tutorials before you go further

I had been told by several people through PM's and E-mail that I can use a 1mb bios. So I didn't feel the need to go reading tutorials and Faq's.
So basically, if you screw up a flash on one of the banks, the only way to flash over it is to hotswap? Because you can only flash a 512k bios and it flashes the bank that it is currently on?

What do you mean I have stuffed something on the LPC? I had someone repair my lpc and pinheader because a couple traces were burned and cut. It was working up untill the flash went bad, then after that when I took the motherboard out I noticed one of the wires he soldered in place wasn't connected to anything on one end. So I am in the middle of talking to him about how to fix that.

You don't need a working HDD to flash a bios and boot a dvd. That's all I need to do for now. I have 3 HD's that I can use, but I'm not going to go through the trouble of unlocking them, reformating them, and locking them to the xbox until I have the Chip working. If the chip doesn't work... all that would be pointless.

Like I said, I have the Eurasia discs, but my chip is fragging now. So I haven't got a chance to use them. I said that the Cromwell bios only had the option to Etherboot, and it didn't work.

So I am repairing the lpc and I will fit an HDD after I get the chip working.

Tutorials can't help me figure out how to get a bios that has supposedly been erased but still works partially to flash a new bios. So I don't see the need "to do a lot of reading of tutorials" before I go any further. I know a lot about everything there is to know about the xbox and mods. I just have never used Cromwell because I prefer FlashBios, and have never used a cheapmod like a Duox2. I read up as much as I could and now I know about them, but that doesn't help me with the given situation.

So basically, the only thing I can do is wait for an E-mail reply from the fixer of my lpc, to tell me where that wire needs to be soldered to. Then see if the Eurasia discs work. And if not then I'm buying another Duox2 so I can hotswap and flash.

-Danny

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2005, 03:28:00 PM »

The plain truth is you omitted all these things when you first posted and yes you do need to read up because you would ahve known the size of bios. You are still saying that the Cromwell bank only has the etherboot option and  it only defaults to this when it cannot read the Eurasia Flash Disc.
Alright you did not stuff the LPC but the fact is its stuffed just the same
Tutorials can't help me figure out how to get a bios that has supposedly been erased but still works partially to flash a new bios.

So basically, if you screw up a flash on one of the banks, the only way to flash over it is to hotswap? Because you can only flash a 512k bios and it flashes the bank that it is currently on?

Again reading would have told you that this is not the actual scenario. The bios is not partially working. the 1mb image stuffed one bank the other bank is perfectly intact as it came to you so its not partially working.You can also flash a bad bank by booting from the good bank. This is well documented here
This not having a go at what you have done but you can not expect people to have a magical answer when they do not have the facts

--DANNY--

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2005, 03:54:00 PM »

The reason that I omitted all of the details is because when I created this thread, I only wanted to know if there was anything that had to be done in order to get an X2.6 chip to work on a pinheader and d0 wire that were installed for a Duox2. Or if I had to change something in order to get it to work.

QUOTE(Chancer)
You are still saying that the Cromwell bank only has the etherboot option and it only defaults to this when it cannot read the Eurasia Flash Disc.
QUOTE(--DANNY--)
I have the Eurasia discs, but my chip is fragging now. So I haven't got a chance to use them.
I specifically said that I haven't had a chance to use them yet. So I don't know if they work or not. I first have to resolve the problem with my lpc which I am currently doing.

So thanks for helping me understand a couple things better. If I need anything else that I can't find in a pinned topic, I'll post here again.

-Danny

HackDaBox

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2005, 11:26:00 PM »

WOW  blink.gif

OK. So a wire has come loose from the lpc fix and your getting that sorted. Then you should be able to boot cromwell and then use eurasia to flash your chip but just before flashing flick the switch so that you flash the non working bank !

Have a look here HackDaBox DuoX2 Flashing Guide as it has all the images of the Eurasia cdrw's that you need and they work !

HackDaBox !

--DANNY--

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2005, 01:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(HackDaBox)
OK. So a wire has come loose from the lpc fix and your getting that sorted.
Absolutely correct!
QUOTE(HackDaBox)
just before flashing flick the switch so that you flash the non working bank !
oOo I see... you just clarified that for me, I was unsure if that worked or not.
QUOTE(HackDaBox)
Have a look here HackDaBox DuoX2 Flashing Guide as it has all the images of the Eurasia cdrw's that you need and they work !
That's where I got them from! lol Thanks, your site is helping me a lot!

I'll post an update on whether or not I get the Eurasia discs to flash the bios correctly after I get the lpc fixed and everything working.

-Danny

--DANNY--

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2005, 06:23:00 PM »

I fixed a broken trace on the bottom of my lpc, and it worked! The cromwell bios loaded, I put in the Eurasia disc and it loaded the Linux ish. Then it opened and I put in the Eurasia bios cd and waited for it to close. But it couldn't read it. So I tried it again and still the same thing, it couldn't read my bios cd.

So I put my x2.6 on the pinheader, soldered the d0 wire to the chip, and loaded HackDaBox's DuoX2 Reflash CD that I customized to only have 2 flash options, FlashBios303 and x2.5035. Then I hotswapped the chips and flashed away for each bios separately.

Now it works perfectly with FlashBios303 on bank0 and x2.5035 on bank1. biggrin.gif

Thanks for all your help guys!
-Danny

Jtech|I

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2005, 09:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(--DANNY-- @ Jun 19 2005, 05:34 PM)
I fixed a broken trace on the bottom of my lpc, and it worked! The cromwell bios loaded, I put in the Eurasia disc and it loaded the Linux ish. Then it opened and I put in the Eurasia bios cd and waited for it to close. But it couldn't read it. So I tried it again and still the same thing, it couldn't read my bios cd.
Pages: [1] 2