xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 30 Awg Too Thin For Lpc Rebuild?  (Read 78 times)

$langer

• Archived User
30 Awg Too Thin For Lpc Rebuild?
« on: December 27, 2004, 09:23:00 PM »

I was just reading a post about the new 1.6b compatible XTs and there was a link to them on the EurAsia site here:

http://www.eurasia.nu/shop/product_info.ph...products_id=279

I also noticed on the bottom of that page they said not to use 30 AWG wire on the LPC rebuild because it "can cause problems with the chip not booting up"  They suggested to use at least 26 AWG.  I have done 2 LPC rebuilds so far with 30 AWG and they worked fine.  Is there any cause for concern or is it safe to continue using 30 AWG for future installs?

Thanks!

otherguy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 09:32:00 PM »

i've done quite a few 1.6 machines...  they've all been 20 awg and none of my customers have ahad a problem. I'm not sure why they were suggesting you not use it...
I could see there being a problem if you crossed the wires, but that's not necessary for the rebuild. Keep them clean and short and you shouldn't have a problem

$langer

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 09:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(otherguy @ Dec 28 2004, 05:27 AM)
i've done quite a few 1.6 machines...  they've all been 20 awg and none of my customers have ahad a problem. I'm not sure why they were suggesting you not use it...
I could see there being a problem if you crossed the wires, but that's not necessary for the rebuild. Keep them clean and short and you shouldn't have a problem

Damn 20 AWG, that's rather thick isn't it?  My labs at uni had a bunch of 22 AWG, I wish I had taken more than I did  ;)

I have kept my wires short and uncrossed on my past rebuilds so I'm sure if I continue in the same fashion I'll be okay.

Thanks

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 01:33:00 AM »

i think he meant 30 guage

anyway ive used 30 guage on a bunch of 1.6s too, no issues (chips used are aladdin 64, aladdin xt, smartxx, and xenium ice)

shepd

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 06:54:00 AM »

No problems with 34 AWG for the rebuild except for the power point.

I've used 38 AWG without any troubles.  Everything but power are just data signals, we're talking 1 or 2 mA of current travelling across them at max.

I normally use 34 AWG enamelled wire (very nice for doing modchip installs -- I highly reccomend it!  Plus its DIRT CHEAP!)  I have been doing so since 1.6 came out, no returns yet for anything wire related, no complaints of instability, etc.

The power point would be the one you are soldering from the "open" LPC point to an LPC pin.  I use 24 AWG stranded wire for that, since it has to handle more current.

logman02

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 09:36:00 AM »

On an aladdin xt which point is the power point because that might be the reason that I am having probs. with mine.

shepd

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004, 02:59:00 PM »

The power point is the without the pin on the LPC port that you connect to one of the pins for the LPC bus you soldered in (sorry for the crappy explanation, but I'm sure you'll get it anyways  :)  ).

Arakon

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 05:35:00 PM »

I had a 1.6 recently that wouldn't work with awg30 for the rebuild. using thicker wire worked.

$langer

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2004, 05:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(Arakon @ Dec 29 2004, 01:30 AM)
I had a 1.6 recently that wouldn't work with awg30 for the rebuild. using thicker wire worked.

Bad news, I may just buy some thicker wire to avoid any problems, that would be the last thing I would want to troubleshoot  <_<

otherguy

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2004, 09:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(otherguy @ Dec 27 2004, 11:27 PM)
i've done quite a few 1.6 machines...  they've all been 20 awg and none of my customers have ahad a problem. I'm not sure why they were suggesting you not use it...

God damn not being able to edit posts - yea i meant 30awg wire....  never had a problem

This post has been edited by otherguy: Dec 29 2004, 05:43 AM

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2004, 04:18:00 AM »

No problem at all with 30AWG its all I use.

hippo

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2004, 04:43:00 AM »

ditto it's all I've ever used.