xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Do You Buy Third Party Accessories ?  (Read 127 times)

Morglum

• Archived User
Do You Buy Third Party Accessories ?
« on: September 30, 2003, 11:15:00 PM »

If the price differance its really big, then i will do. But id sooner spend a tenner more and have the official gear.

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2003, 11:16:00 PM »

Call it brand loyalty, OCD, etc, but I can't control the urge to stick with the name brand replacement/add-on parts  wink.gif

The only time I break the rule is if the manufacturer doesn't make a like component  laugh.gif

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 12:10:00 AM »

I don't care about brand, unless it comes to PSX/PS2 memory cards or XBox controllers. Neither are made right by third-party manufacturers, but otherwise, I'll buy all the other crap from a manufacturer that isn't the 'official' one. Sometimes, that tenner is the difference between a pack of cigarettes or eating crap vs eating well. biggrin.gif

whiffin

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 03:16:00 AM »

Ive had a SMS, SMD, NES, SNES, N64, PS1, Xbox and Dreamcast - the only 3rd party accessory I've had is the Maracas for Samba De Amigo for the Dreamcast. This was only due to a £50 price difference.

3rd party stuff generally sucks ass and it's never fair to your mates on multiplayer games.

A

MettyX

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2003, 10:44:00 AM »

ive had nothing but bad luck with 3rd party accessories.  well, except for a madcatz memory card....but thats it.  ill stick with the genuine goods, you always know your getting a good product.   cool.gif

brahm2

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2003, 10:59:00 AM »

no!! Xbox gear rules

i bought a MadCatz memory card but that was only so i could tear it apart for a reset switch

And I ordered a carrying case on ebay.. third party..

hmm, maybe i should of voted "yes" huh.gif

MettyX

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2003, 11:06:00 AM »

come to think of it, i do have monster cables advanced av pack with optical.....maybe i should have voted differently as well.

SKoT

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2003, 11:49:00 AM »

QUOTE (MettyX @ Oct 1 2003, 08:06 PM)
come to think of it, i do have monster cables advanced av pack with optical.....maybe i should have voted differently as well.

MONSTER AV ROX!

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2003, 02:42:00 PM »

QUOTE (PM5K @ Oct 1 2003, 09:10 PM)
I'm not sure that Monster cables are the same, considering they cost more and are generally believed to be of higher quality.

I've never understood how third party accessories/peripherals get such a bad rap, with Xbox accessories many of these companies have been in the game business longer than MS.

It seems like an additional answer would be that you do buy third party when there is no first party alternative.

Because M$, being the original developer of the hardware (or at least a company they've contracted), are the only ones who know how to build the accessories *exactly* the way they need to for optimal performance and compatability. Even licenced third-party accessory manufacturers get only a rough blueprint of sorts.... so they cannot, in most cases, build it *just* like the M$ equivilent (in this case). Unlicenced manufacturers got it worse... they usually have to hack the accessory in question apart and then try to figure out how it works, then replicate that. This explains why PSX/PS2 memory cards from anyone but Sony worked sparingly; Sony never did, and it seems, never will, licence any third-party manufacturer.

P._Box

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2003, 03:10:00 AM »

I purchased a Micron recently (I NEEDed a good 'ole D-Pad....not the new rounded off ones) and i found that is is the ONLY third party product that actually preformed exceptionally. I DO NOT and DID NOT promote 3rd party stuff unless it's this micron controller. I would not recommend ANY 3rd party accessory except this one.....i've had this controller for 2 months now and i've only found that i'll accidently slide a 1/4 circle left and hit the start button at times, but once that's under control it's a great contoller!!

beerchug.gif

chefelf

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2003, 08:21:00 AM »

I'll buy some third party accessories but not controllers.  Never controllers!  The Pelican wireless controllers are terrible.

switzch

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2003, 08:37:00 AM »

the madcatz av kit is a steal.

for 40 canadian i got an optical cable, the expansion kit, component cables, and svideo cables.

the ms one costs 45 and you only get the kit and the component cables/svideo (depending on what you buy)  no optical or anything else.

juan23

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2003, 09:20:00 AM »

only if i truly have to because of price.

Grendal

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2003, 06:23:00 PM »

Never, NEVER get 3rd party controllers.  But you can find good deals on stuff like xtension cords and video cords and such.