xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: .rar Question  (Read 51 times)

Wackgates

• Archived User
.rar Question
« on: September 02, 2002, 07:48:00 PM »

Hi all. I was able to get a hold of a bunch of the apps for "hacking" the xbox but I have a question. The files end with .rar, do I need to "extract" them before burning to use the prg on xbox?

I tried both winzip and Stuffit but both said that the files were not recognized. Am I doing anything wrong here?  Please enlighten me.

Also I am using the latest Nero Burn, does anyone have any info on what settings to use to burn Evolution X to a cd-r?

Thanks                                    

Col.Havoc

• Archived User
.rar Question
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2002, 07:50:00 PM »

winrar, use that prog to extract the .rar files.                                    

Kurto2021

• Archived User
.rar Question
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2002, 10:23:00 PM »

I burned the game aggressive inline I believe it was and some of the files in the game were rar files.  I could extract them with winrar but I just burned the disk witht he rar files and it played.  If combining the rar files produces more rar files burn it with those rars still intact, however if you have not combined the initial files then you must do that first.  Does this make any sense?

GTac01

• Archived User
.rar Question
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2002, 10:39:00 PM »

a game plays as long as it has its nessesary files, you could add anything u want and still play but it makes no sense and it slows it down.                                    

Kurto2021

• Archived User
.rar Question
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2002, 10:42:00 PM »

GTAC what the hell are you talking about?  I simply stated that I unrared the aggressive inline and there were more rar file.  I burned it with those rars intact I am assuming that that game uses the files in a rar format

BIOYAM

• Archived User
.rar Question
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2002, 01:36:00 AM »

OK....kinda confusing....let me try to explain.

(1)WinRar will allow you to combine all of the "rar" files that you have downloaded into one ISO. You should then take that ISO & burn it to a CDRW or DVD to create a Xbox-bootable game.
For example you have downloaded:
Game.part1.rar
Game.part2.rar
Game.part3.rar
      to
Game.part30.rar

You save all of these files to a directory & double click on Game.part1.rar. Winrar will automatically open and show you the "output" file. The "output" file is actually the combination of Game.part1 thru part30.
This "output" file or ISO is then burnt to your media of choice(or extracted to your Xbox hard drive).

(2)If you see more "rar" files after you "unrar" the first set of "rar" files, you need to then continue the processes by clicking on the first "rar" again.

(3)If you unrar the files & see a combination of "rar" files & the actual program files to burn to CDRW/DVD, then either the program has files called *.rar & are not truly rar files but files used by the game or someone goofed & combined them in error. What "GTac01" is saying is it doen't matter since the neccessasry files are already inter-mixed with them.......OK?

Hope I didn't confuse you.
BIOYAM.

FullofSorrow

• Archived User
.rar Question
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2002, 01:49:00 AM »

Actually, true, bot not totally.  If you peel Dead to Rights directly from the disc, it has internal rars as part of the file structure that are extracted as gameplay goes.  Honestly.                                    

megaflux

• Archived User
.rar Question
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2002, 05:28:00 AM »

win rar (if set up ..weird) will represent .tar ,.zip, etc. with its own icon; also,
sometimes those smaller inner .rar files are meant to be compressed (like .cab's) ....my gba emu...thing plays the games as rars and only unpacks em as i play the game(meaning  i never have to actually extract them). definately look at what file types you use winrar to assosciate with.                                    

Kurto2021

• Archived User
.rar Question
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2002, 07:55:00 AM »

Dead to Rights was the game...not aggressive inline.  That was the one I was speaking of.