xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: My Attempt At An Xbox Mini  (Read 7279 times)

mwaterbu

• Archived User
My Attempt At An Xbox Mini
« Reply #135 on: March 11, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(MasterGouken @ Mar 11 2010, 10:04 AM) *

Glad you guys like it so far (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

@mwaterbu:

The iceberq's dont really offer much more cooling that the standard heatsinks and fans but do reduce the height of the xbox by approx. 1 inch which is needed for a mini such as mine.
I would recommend changing your fan to a high cfm 80mm if you're keeping your xbox in the stock case and change the thermal paste on the cpu/gpu to arctic silver 5. If you're going for a mini use iceberq 4 pro's and AS5 thermal paste. (my mini also fas a small 40mm fan at the back to aid in the removal of hot air).

Regarding the mini psu, the PW200-M is a good choice as it has been used with success before. I am currently trying to get a Pico psu 60-WI to work.
http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-60-WI;jses...34Pa38Ta38Sbhn0
I had to remove 3 caps on the xbox board first (see my thread for more info)
The PW200-V can also be used, someone used one successfully in an xbox to micro pc case on these forums.
You will also need a power brick with sufficient amperage/wattage.

thanks for the response. still wondering though, how loud are the iceberq's? are they noticeable above the stock fan?
also, i want to get an upgraded motherboard from trusty, which i believe you mentioned that you did as well? do the iceberq's work with that? is it enough cooling for the additional heat put out by the 1.4ghz processor? because he mentioned something about a new heatsink being required which was larger, and that may not work with a smaller case...i may just do the slimbox mod, in which case that shouldnt be a problem because i should have plenty of room heightwise right? would still like to give the iceberq's a try if they work though.
btw thanks for the thermal paste tip. if i dont end up getting the new mb, i will try it out.

MasterGouken

• Recovered User
« Reply #136 on: March 12, 2010, 05:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(mwaterbu @ Mar 12 2010, 07:53 AM) View Post

thanks for the response. still wondering though, how loud are the iceberq's? are they noticeable above the stock fan?
also, i want to get an upgraded motherboard from trusty, which i believe you mentioned that you did as well? do the iceberq's work with that? is it enough cooling for the additional heat put out by the 1.4ghz processor? because he mentioned something about a new heatsink being required which was larger, and that may not work with a smaller case...i may just do the slimbox mod, in which case that shouldnt be a problem because i should have plenty of room heightwise right? would still like to give the iceberq's a try if they work though.
btw thanks for the thermal paste tip. if i dont end up getting the new mb, i will try it out.

Well the iceberqs do add a bit more noise to the xbox as now there's 3 fans instead of one but its acceptable and not too loud. I bought a 1ghz 128mb upgraded board from trusty and thats fine with these iceberqs. I dont know how a 1.4ghz cpu would react with an iceberq on it, i doubt it would be sufficient.

mwaterbu

• Archived User
« Reply #137 on: March 12, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(MasterGouken @ Mar 12 2010, 07:39 AM) *

Well the iceberqs do add a bit more noise to the xbox as now there's 3 fans instead of one but its acceptable and not too loud. I bought a 1ghz 128mb upgraded board from trusty and thats fine with these iceberqs. I dont know how a 1.4ghz cpu would react with an iceberq on it, i doubt it would be sufficient.

Oh, I didn't know that he did 1ghz, just thought it was 1.4. Well that's ok i guess. If things aren't cool enough in my smaller case, I could always squeeze another fan in somewhere...thanks for the help!

mwaterbu

• Archived User
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »

hey MasterGouken, any more progress yet? just wondered if you have had any free time to get this done? such an awesome project!

MasterGouken

• Recovered User
« Reply #139 on: April 22, 2010, 04:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(mwaterbu @ Apr 21 2010, 06:29 PM) View Post

hey MasterGouken, any more progress yet? just wondered if you have had any free time to get this done? such an awesome project!

Unfortunately not, i've just got a new car and have been tinkering with that in my free time. Theres always something distracting me but i will finish it (i hate having a half complete project sat there looking at me lol).

_C4_

• Archived User
« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »

MasterGouken,

Just pmed you about the plexi files you had.

GoTeamScotch

• Recovered User
« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(mwaterbu @ Mar 12 2010, 10:31 PM) View Post

Oh, I didn't know that he did 1ghz, just thought it was 1.4. Well that's ok i guess. If things aren't cool enough in my smaller case, I could always squeeze another fan in somewhere...thanks for the help!

I was actually curious about this myself. Hope to someday order a 1ghz board from trusty when i get excess play cash. I heard he had to fabricate a custom heatsink for the 1.4 ghz boards...but then again iceberqs with arctic silver work pretty damn well at keeping the chips cool enough. Me think they would suffice to keep it under cooking temperature, but I can only speculate.  laugh.gif

Marcheslav

• Archived User
« Reply #142 on: July 08, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »

I was wondering if i could get those files as well I'm starting a fabrication class in the fall and i will have access to laser milling equipment to build something like this.

MasterGouken

• Recovered User
« Reply #143 on: July 11, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(Marcheslav @ Jul 9 2011, 12:05 AM) View Post

I was wondering if i could get those files as well I'm starting a fabrication class in the fall and i will have access to laser milling equipment to build something like this.

pm me youre email address and i'll send them to you

MasterGouken

• Recovered User
« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(KuKrApOk @ Aug 9 2011, 03:03 PM) View Post

Hi !
Nice work done here smile.gif

I already have a PicoPSU 120W I used some times ago in another project.
I'll try to use it into

I saw on this picture
That you use an adapter between the PicoPSU and the Xbox motherboard.

I search it @shop.sickmods.net and there is no more available.
Do you know where I can find one elsewhere ?

Sorry for my rusty english rolleyes.gif

Hi KuKrApOk,

theres a thread here where you can make your own:
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=536915

Back on the subject of this xbox mini, its right in front of me now...time to get back to work on it i think smile.gif

Or you can go onto sickmods forums and request one, maybe they will fabricate more if there is enough demand.

KuKrApOk

• Archived User
« Reply #145 on: October 28, 2011, 05:29:00 AM »

Thank you for the awnser !

I'll try to get some news from sickmods, but I don't get any hope.
Forums looks really dead.
I don't find any other website which provides some equivalent for the atx to xbox converter

I'll try to reproduce the tut you linked to me :
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=536915

But, I promise, I'll try to get a cleaner Job smile.gif
I WON'T solder directly into the PicoPSU, I don't think it is a good idea
Mine is a 120W, I hope it will have no effects on this mod
I'll take some pictures to contribute on the topic

QUOTE(MasterGouken @ Aug 14 2011, 07:20 AM) View Post

Back on the subject of this xbox mini, its right in front of me now...time to get back to work on it i think smile.gif

I hope you can posts some new pictures about it !

MasterGouken

• Recovered User
« Reply #146 on: November 13, 2011, 01:23:00 AM »

QUOTE(jaroc @ Nov 12 2011, 07:35 PM) View Post

What program did you use to change the letters on the splash screen, XBtool seems to only be able to change the colours.

KernelBasher smile.gif

Ghost12109

• Archived User
« Reply #147 on: December 30, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »

Woah... just been reading through this entire topic and ave been immersed into making one of these... when is this going to be completed, i want to see the final results!

MasterGouken

• Recovered User
« Reply #148 on: December 31, 2011, 12:51:00 AM »

Well i don't know for sure, there's so much taking priority right now. I want to finish it but most of my time is taken up with work, then in any spare time i seem to be repairing laptops and iPhone's for friends and colleagues, then there's the thousand other projects I'm trying to finish...there's just not enough hours in the day!

I'm glad to inspire anyone to create one of these mini xbox's, if you have any questions please ask and i will endeavour to assist you. Ghostavel should be your first port of call though as he did this first.

One day this mini will be finished, although that may be a while yet sad.gif

MasterGouken

• Recovered User
« Reply #149 on: May 06, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »

Sadly i am considering putting this up for sale. I just don't have the time or space to continue working on it.

It would come with the following (if anyone is interested):

(v1 i think) trusty modded 1ghz 128mb motherboard tsop'd
almost completed custom acrylic laser cut case
complete spare set of laser cut plastic to make another case (still has protective film on it)
PICO psu
laptop style mains adapter (uk plug)
laptop harddrive
a sickmods atx to xbox adapter (unsure of working condition though)
the 3 capacitors i removed from the motherboard (in case you just want the motherboard back working in a standard xbox case
The aeropad mini wifi pcb
an xbox to component adapter
some acrylic rod to make internal support posts from
could even throw in an xbox eeprom reader/writer

If anyones interested PM me. I'd rather it go to someone who wants to get it working, preferably in the UK as shipping would cost a lot
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11