xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: My Attempt At An Xbox Mini  (Read 7287 times)

MasterGouken

• Recovered User
My Attempt At An Xbox Mini
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2009, 07:37:00 AM »

Ok i've started work again,

Here you can see where i've had to cut out a piece of the inner top panel to allow for the 40mm fan (it also helps hold it in place:
IPB Image

Test fitting the back plate (needed to make sure all the cut outs on the back lined up correctly with the motherboard placement):
IPB Image

I've also remade the inner support posts from 10mm square acrylic rod (all 38mm high) which will help hold everything together.

Im still aiming to have this done by the end of the month  smile.gif

willie19a

• Archived User
« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »

very nice work m8, do you have dwg files which you could post to me? slight thing that does concern me is the temperature of the cpu/gpu, i dont imagine i could use my normal cpu/gpu heatsinks on there might be a little too confined for that. How are you going to mount up your dvd drive, do you have any ideas for an ecternal dvd drive?

MasterGouken

• Recovered User
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(willie19a @ Jul 23 2009, 04:12 PM) View Post

very nice work m8, do you have dwg files which you could post to me? slight thing that does concern me is the temperature of the cpu/gpu, i dont imagine i could use my normal cpu/gpu heatsinks on there might be a little too confined for that. How are you going to mount up your dvd drive, do you have any ideas for an ecternal hard drive?

I can send you the .dwg's in a rar if you pm me an email address to send them to. They still need some tweaking though, oh and i've allowed a bit extra on each end of the sides and back pieces so that i can overlap them (not done that yet either).

As for the temps, ghostavel has already said that he doesnt have temperature issues and his set up is the same (iceberq 4's on CPU and GPU).

Im not including a dvd drive in this mini as i can ftp anything i want over to it (using the internal wifi bridge) and i have a 250gb laptop hdd in there (yes there's space) smile.gif

So far today i've been sanding and rebending the sides/back to get it just right...shame the weather isnt cooperating (keeps raining on and off  grr.gif )

MasterGouken

• Recovered User
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »

Inner supports and controller port bracket are in:

IPB Image

The heat bending setup (i had to make some adjustments):

IPB Image

MasterGouken

• Recovered User
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »

Suprisingly nice weather today so i've managed to do a bit more:

Support posts are in. The top and bottom panels have been drilled through and will be secured to the posts with small laptop screws (as they have flat heads):

IPB Image

Ive chamfered the side piece and back piece edges (where they meet) to make a smooth join. Dont worry, its not all fixed together yet hence the gaps:

IPB Image

And as it all stands now:

IPB Image
IPB Image

sprocketme2

• Archived User
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »

That is sexy!  cool.gif  Cant wait to try it myself  biggrin.gif  Again very nice work, keep it up.

GoTeamScotch

• Recovered User
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »

Looking really good. I like the high gloss finish. Looks very slick  smile.gif

But why is there an opening where the top of the fan rests?

MasterGouken

• Recovered User
« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2009, 05:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(GoTeamScotch @ Jul 26 2009, 05:07 AM) View Post

Looking really good. I like the high gloss finish. Looks very slick  smile.gif

But why is there an opening where the top of the fan rests?

The fan is 40mm x 40mm and the internal height is 38mm hence the cut out. Dont worry, once the faceplate is on you wont see that:

IPB Image
IPB Image

smile.gif

asimmon6

• Archived User
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »

looks great.  one quick question, which ac-dc power adapter are you using for the psu.  Have heard that some people have to get a 9A one to get it to work right.  We have pretty much an identical setup, so whatever you use I should be able to use also.

MasterGouken

• Recovered User
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2009, 05:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(asimmon6 @ Jul 29 2009, 02:23 AM) View Post

looks great.  one quick question, which ac-dc power adapter are you using for the psu.  Have heard that some people have to get a 9A one to get it to work right.  We have pretty much an identical setup, so whatever you use I should be able to use also.

Im using an EDAC adapter:
model: EA11203A
AC INPUT: 100-240v~2.5A
50-60hz
DC OUTPUT: 12-17v 8.5A

I am having some problems getting it to work though. Im not sure if this is down to the ac-dc adapter (this one is 8.5a whereas sicknasty used a 5a adapter and reported it working ok. It also could be my soldering to the sickmods atx 2 xbox adapter or the psu itself (which i doubt).
On first power up the sickmods adapter lights up all 3 leds, the psu led comes on and the xbox starts booting but the bios screen stutters and freezes (sound stutters too). If i try powering off then on again the sickmods adapter flashes the ps-on led once then it goes off and the fans pulse once (acting as if theres a short somewhere).
Im going to try using 2 zener diodes, a 4.7k resistor and a npn transistor as in this tut:
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=536915
He used the same xbox version, he removed the same capacitors as i have and he used the exact same psu so im hopeful that it will fix the problem. If you get yours working correctly, let me know.

MasterGouken

• Recovered User
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »

Not much done today due to more constant rain  grr.gif
I have however primered the sides and back with plastikote plastic primer. it goes on clear but gives a matt finish that will help the paint adhere, its going to be painted i satin silver and the faceplates will stay gloss black. I've epoxied the base to the side piece too, now its hopefully strong enough.
I also sanded the edge of the faceplate that didnt quite fit, now its perfect!

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Back to work tonight so progress will slow down again  sad.gif  
Im waiting for some zener diodes that i ordered off of ebay, then i can try again to get this pico psu working right.

willie19a

• Archived User
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2009, 02:55:00 AM »

Just noticed a little niggling thought about your sexy mini when i was redrawing the drawings, you seem to have vents on both sides of the case and also vents on the top, how is this going to be standing, is it going to be on its side or on its bottom either way your going to have vents that allow dust and rubbish into your xbox, ok its no major problem if your keeping it in a locked cabinet but if you leave it out the you could get a very dusty mobo with chance of damaging it. i might be competely wrong, the air flow could draw the dust out of the sytem but i just thought that i would bring that up with you.

MasterGouken

• Recovered User
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2009, 05:08:00 AM »

It can stand either on its side or on its base. The vents are there for airflow as the heat generated in such a small space would not be able to dissipate and the xbox would overheat. Dust might be an issue further down the line but it doesnt take long to remove the back and top pieces to blow the dust out with a can of compressed air.
i could install some internal air filters behind the vents if i could find something suitable though...

MasterGouken

• Recovered User
« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »

Finally had a dry day to get the painting done:

IPB Image
IPB Image

Pics up shortly of the full case assembled smile.gif

And here we go...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Yes i know there is a bit of filing to be done for it all to fit together neatly, i'll do this tomorrow.

Anyone spot that the xbmc logo needs rotating 45 degrees? lol, i'll contact the laser cutting company again to sort it out.

Hope you like it smile.gif

Nextelhalo

• Archived User
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »

THAT SHIT LOOKS BADASS.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11