xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: My Attempt At An Xbox Mini  (Read 7567 times)

MasterGouken

• Recovered User
My Attempt At An Xbox Mini
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »

I've made the fan bracket that will hold it in place on the bottom of the case. Also i had to shave off 2 areas on the inner base to allow for two yellow components that are more than 2mm in height and were warping the motherboard when it was screwed down:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Now im working on the wifi adapter mount.

Bandit5317

• Archived User
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »

Looking good. Can't wait to see how this one comes out.

MasterGouken

• Recovered User
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2009, 08:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(Bandit5317 @ Jul 11 2009, 06:30 AM) View Post

Looking good. Can't wait to see how this one comes out.

Hows this?:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

biggrin.gif

Bandit5317

• Archived User
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »

Excellent smile.gif . It looks 100 percent manufactured and professional.

sprocketme2

• Archived User
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »

sick! absolutely sick!  laugh.gif  looks pro! Only thing i'm wondering: Why did you cut grooves for the baseplate? You could have put it flush with the bottom of the sides then glued it to the edges inside, since you wont need to remove the bottom for any reason.

MasterGouken

• Recovered User
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2009, 04:15:00 AM »

QUOTE(sprocketme2 @ Jul 13 2009, 03:47 AM) View Post

sick! absolutely sick!  laugh.gif  looks pro! Only thing i'm wondering: Why did you cut grooves for the baseplate? You could have put it flush with the bottom of the sides then glued it to the edges inside, since you wont need to remove the bottom for any reason.

The grooves are for extra strength. The base plate sits 3mm higher than the sides as a 3mm faceplate will be going over the top of it which will cover any screw holes (same for the top piece, i have a faceplate for that too). Therefore the faceplate will be flush with the edges.
The bottom piece will also be epoxied in place though the top wont as i will need access to the internals.
Glad you like it so far  smile.gif

petemcfc

• Archived User
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »

A1 and a few extra gold stars for your planning and attention to detail,great idea for the location slots but if you epoxy them thats it,why not just silicon it in place,Im sure in time you might want to have another tinker with it.

MasterGouken

• Recovered User
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(petemcfc @ Jul 13 2009, 09:43 PM) View Post

A1 and a few extra gold stars for your planning and attention to detail,great idea for the location slots but if you epoxy them thats it,why not just silicon it in place,Im sure in time you might want to have another tinker with it.

Im only epoxying the long front/side piece to the baseplate, the rest will be held in place by screws. The back piece will clip on (internally) so its easy to remove and shows no external screw heads. I will be putting 4 inner supports that will be screwed into the baseplate and inner top plate either side of the air vents effectively sandwiching the two together (if that makes any sense  huh.gif ).

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2009, 04:17:00 AM »

I cant believe how much that looks like his.  

Incredible.

MasterGouken

• Recovered User
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(Heet @ Jul 14 2009, 11:17 AM) View Post

I cant believe how much that looks like his.  
Incredible.

I got it as close as i could without having any schematics to work from, only the pictures ghostavel posted. A lot of the design was guess work and lots of measuring, making mock ups, remeasuring and adjusting the design etc.
I will be working on it again from the 20th as i have a week off work then. I aim to have it completed by the end of this month, if all goes to plan  smile.gif

Stubbfan

• Archived User
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(MasterGouken @ Jul 14 2009, 07:58 PM) *

I got it as close as i could without having any schematics to work from, only the pictures ghostavel posted. A lot of the design was guess work and lots of measuring, making mock ups, remeasuring and adjusting the design etc.
I will be working on it again from the 20th as i have a week off work then. I aim to have it completed by the end of this month, if all goes to plan  smile.gif

Really impressive work. Got me into taring my xbox 1 apart to do one myself. Any chance you could post some drawings? Of course i could just measure everything myself but if you could it would help alot!

MasterGouken

• Recovered User
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »

I'll be posting the designs when i know for sure that all the measurements are correct for all the pieces to fit together properly (there are some small adjustments needed first). I'll post them as jpegs and as adobe illustrator .dwg's also. That wont be long now, bear with me smile.gif

willie19a

• Archived User
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2009, 03:52:00 AM »

lol this put my slightly obesse mini to shame lol, well looks like mines is out the window, although, my budget for this project is at a staggering.........0 lol. i dont like spending money , im a little bit stingy but would love to make a mini like yours. keep up the good work and looking forward to the .dwgs, im a CAD operator so i constantly look at drawings, be nice to look at one i am actually interested in lol. Any way, your wifi thingy majigar, is it connected to the xbox via usb or rj45 cos i have a usb one sitting here doing nothing, and would like to adapt it to use on my xbox.

edit: never mind i noticed it is a usb one, i take it you just wired it direct to one to the controller ports, either 3 or 4? lol no wait it has rj45 on it too, damn, will a usb one work or does it have to have the rj45 (i already know what the answer is but hey ive got to hope lol )

MasterGouken

• Recovered User
« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2009, 04:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(willie19a @ Jul 16 2009, 10:52 AM) View Post

lol this put my slightly obesse mini to shame lol, well looks like mines is out the window, although, my budget for this project is at a staggering.........0 lol. i dont like spending money , im a little bit stingy but would love to make a mini like yours. keep up the good work and looking forward to the .dwgs, im a CAD operator so i constantly look at drawings, be nice to look at one i am actually interested in lol. Any way, your wifi thingy majigar, is it connected to the xbox via usb or rj45 cos i have a usb one sitting here doing nothing, and would like to adapt it to use on my xbox.

edit: never mind i noticed it is a usb one, i take it you just wired it direct to one to the controller ports, either 3 or 4? lol no wait it has rj45 on it too, damn, will a usb one work or does it have to have the rj45 (i already know what the answer is but hey ive got to hope lol )

The wifi bridge is connected via ethernet cable (the usb lead that came with it is only for power). I will have a short length of cat5 looping from it to the xbox's ethernet port (i could have soldered in directly to the xbox's ethernet pins but i wanted to keep the port in case i need to reconfigure the wireless bridge's IP settings in the future. A usb one wont work as the xbox doesnt have the drivers to use it.

The case design isnt anything fancy, i've never used illustrator before which meant a lot of trial and error at getting it all together lol. Luckily the laser cutting company i used only needed 2d "cutout" plans which made it simpler for me.

As for money, well ive gone a bit crazy on this project lol. Ive spent enough on this to buy another ps3!  unsure.gif

willie19a

• Archived User
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2009, 05:20:00 AM »

lol yeah i thought it would have problems with the drivers, you could solder the cat5 to the internal port and keep the port there, aslong as you solder onto the correct points, i cant see any reason why it would cause a problem, unless the xbox does checks to see if the is a cat5 connected and if in that case then your way is probably best, ive came up with a few different plans for different xboxes but the problem i have is, that i want the xbox to be pretty much the same as it is with the exception of a laptop hard drive and a pico psu. so because of the cd drive, i cant really make it any smaller than i have designed as i would need space for a slimline dvd player to go in there. and my budget for this as i have said is 0 lol so most of the work would be done in at my work which is capable of cutting the holes i need using a labeling machine.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11