xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: General Hardware FAQ  (Read 18125 times)

automaddox

• Archived User
General Hardware FAQ
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2005, 08:03:00 PM »

i have an idea....if theres someway to get my computer to read the 120gb drive...if its even possible i can back it up....then wipe the drive and start over....

is it humanly possible?

i need this drive back but more importantly i need the files on it backed up.....i will not accept this as a lost cause...i just can't....i saved so much stuff on this drive to just give up on it...

the motherboard on the old xbox is killed....it just frags regardless of the chip being there or not...if there is some way to get it to work at least temporarily that should solve alot of problems.....

This post has been edited by automaddox: Nov 23 2005, 04:08 AM

d00msday_jesus

• Archived User
General Hardware FAQ
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2006, 04:16:00 PM »

what mcd would be too bright to use in an xbox?

by too bright I just mean that it would be over-kill

NeOnRaBbIt

• Archived User
General Hardware FAQ
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2006, 11:04:00 PM »

maybe add something in here about issues with fatx partitions greater than 256gb ( from what i've read ) as far as curruption goes and how to solve that by using xbpartitioner and partitioning with 32k clusters if such exists? Like a when to use and when not to use large f type of thing..

SnoopKatt

• Archived User
General Hardware FAQ
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2006, 11:26:00 AM »

Just wondering, does RAM Delimit only work wor MAME, XMBC, and Linux or will it work on all XBE's?

mortyBox

• Archived User
General Hardware FAQ
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(wolvorine4424 @ Nov 22 2005, 01:54 AM) *

if it was locked it will only work in the box it was locked in...

You have to insert it back into the box that it was in, unlock it and then move it to the new box...

Double check all connections, also if you can clean all connections so they have proper contact, otherwise it will act up on you and/or freeze on you...

From my understanding, if you have created an EEPROM backup, you can reflash the new xbox with the old xbox EEPROM, then it will recognise the drive.  You should be able to use it right off the bat.

This process is similar to reflashing the MAC address of the NIC in case you're banned from XBL.

Kautious619

• Archived User
General Hardware FAQ
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »

I need help with my new hard drive....

I went through all the FAQ and didn’t see any thing.
I tried posting this in the Softmod they told me to try Hardware blink.gif

I have a v1.6 xbox and softmodded it with “Textbook’s” How to Softmod Your Xbox Using XboxHDM. I used the same tutorial when I upgraded to a 400g hard drive. I have the Xbox working with the F drive and G drive formatted. F formatted with 16kb clusters and G with 32kb clusters. (Something about data corruptions with hard drives over 250g) My problem is that with the new upgrade it takes a whole minute to load XBMC(Main Dash) from the point where the white text M$ logo that pops up after the X animation.

My LED goes from Green to Orange and sits there with a blank screen for a minute and then turns RED when XBMC loads. (- I have it set to red in XBMC-) The old hard drive took seconds to load to XBMC. I saw somewhere that I might have to reflash my bois. (I have no idea on how to do this and really to afraid to try it) Any help or suggestions of why my Xbox might be doing this please let me know.

Thanks  biggrin.gif

mini1.3

• Archived User
General Hardware FAQ
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »

i have a softmodded xbox just after i restarted it it came up with error 16 everyone is telling me to get a modd chip and this will sort my problem out is this true and wot chip should i get

pastortom

• Archived User
General Hardware FAQ
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(dink @ Oct 29 2003, 06:38 PM) View Post

Blind Samuari wrote:

I'll take a crack at it.  

How to install an additional 64 meg into XBOX's.

I recommend using 4 BRAND NEW memory chips. Not from another MB or Video card.  You can run into problems by using other memory chips that were removed via some type of heat method.  Heat can destroy these chips!

Most of this comes from my 8+ yrs of soldering experience and from this instructional site, that has a video clip, showing how to solder SMT chips.

CAUTION: Before adding the memory or doing any other mods, make sure your box is unplug and you are grounded from any Static Electricity!!

PREP WORK: The XBox MB's that I upgraded were 1.0's and 1.1's.  When looking at the memory pads, you will notice a little mound of solder on each of them.  I removed the extra solder for all of the memory pads first, with solder wick.  The video show the pads being tinned, not having a mound solder on them. You can tell by looking at the memory pads and run your finger across them.  With the memory pads being tinned and the chips being tinned, is ample enough of solder to do the job.

1. Placed a small amount flux around the pads. (just like in the video, but use much less)

2. Line up pin 1 of the chip with pin 1 on the MB.  Look at the another memory chip on the MB as a comparision.

3. Align the pins

4. Check the alignment of all pins, on each sides.

5. Tack down one pin in a corner with the Solder iron.  (DO NOT ADD ANY SOLDER)

6. Check aligment again!

7. Tack down one pin on the opposite corner.  (DO NOT ADD ANY SOLDER)

8. Check alignment.  (After the next step, there is NO turning back!!)

9. Now slowly move the solder iron along the pins on each side, just like in the video.

10. Double check for any shorts between pins with a magnify glass.  I used my wife's embroidery magnify glass.  As you can see in the picture below, a digital camera works great!

11. Now repeat this process for the 3 other memory chips.  2 on each side of the board.

If you compare the pins on the chip you just soldered in, with other memory chip, you will see that there is less solder on your chip.  This if fine.  With the solder still tinned on the pad and the solder tinned on pins of the chip, there is plenty of solder to do the job.

As for difficulty, it was challenging.

Other suggestions:
DON'T RUSH IT!
Take you time!
Do 1 chip an hour!

The 1st time I did this, it took over 4 hrs. (I did not remove the mounds of solder first) Afterwards, I found lots of shorts.
The 2nd time it took an hour. (This time I removed the mounds of solder first) Afterwards, I found 3 shorts.
The 3rd time it took 45 mins. No shorts  wink.gif

Here is a sample of one of the chips I soldered in.
If you look closely, in the RED circles you will see a couple of solder bridges.
IPB Image

Once you have soldered them and the pins look good, you should double check each voltage (VDD, VDDQ) pins with an ohm meter to ground.  In a German 64 meg installation  PDF file, it shows which pins are the VDD and VDDQ pins.

You can do a quick test, by only powering up the MB. You don't need to connect up the drives yet.  Once powered up, you should get the normal GREEN LED and the "X" logo.  Assuming you are using the retail BIOS.

If you get FRAO (Flashing Red And Orange) you have a short somewhere or an open!

Once you get the normal GREEN LED, you can then reassemble the box.
I then loaded up XBMP and went to "System", "Status" and view the memory status. You should see 95/128MB.
IPB Image

Good Luck!  beerchug.gif

Dink...

Dink! Help me please tongue.gif

I just followed your guide as well as http://www.xbox-linu..._Xbox_RAM_HOWTO to upgrade the RAM in my 1.0 xbox.. but Ive got problems.. and quite a long story for it too tongue.gif

I removed 4 rams from a broken 1.0 xbox mobo (that I ve tried to fix, but for some unknown reason didnt want to work) and tried to install em in a my working 1.0 xbox.. but during the removing of the rams from the broken mobo some legs broke tongue.gif I use my soldering station at 350degrees Celcius (as I always do, and never had problems with the heat before) and lots of desoldering flux and the screwriver tip from the infamous youtube video to get each pin from the board..

Since my newest discovery with a Dremel and nintendo wii's latest D2B dvd-controllerboard with cut leggs Ive gained some experience in drilling IC chips to gain access to an original point where the leg is broken. so I used my dremel om all the broken ram pins and drilled my way through carefully to the internal point on the edge, then to solder a sincerely thin Kynar wire between the points on each of them.. soldered everything like the guide said, and when I thought I had it done properly I started up the xbox..

My xbox were just showing green led, no video and no sound.. I turned it off and on again and now it just fragged red/green (<= important, RED/GREEN).. so I turned it off, and went over all the points, found some shorts and whatnot, cleaned it up, then tried again.. now it fragged again (RED/GREEN), so I tried to start it up with EJECT button (since Ive got Cromwell 2.4 bios on it, and just thought perhaps it made a difference) and TO my suprise it did.. a black screen appeared with the text "video decoder error".. appearantly this is an error message Cromwell linux has integrated, didnt know it was that advanced smile.gif then I turned it off again, pushjed the upper ram chip carefully down and hit eject again.. now it booted.. into Cromwell bios, but it only said RAM:64megs and the video feed was weird.. when I pushed the ram down it reacted to it with static and whatnot..

so I turned it off again, went over everything, double checked EVERYTHING, then turned it on again, and now it worked perfectly with Cromwell Linux, it booted no problem, with not only eject button but power button as well.. BUT still only RAM: 64megs..

It boots up fine, no fraggin, but still even with all 4 ram chipsi nsatlled on the mobo, it wont show RAM:128megs.. how come mates?

I turned it off again, and tried to boot up with a modchip instead, with Evox bios installed, it just fragged, but this time it fragged RED / ORANGE!! (<== important), which I thought was weird.. I removed the chip and it started normal with Cromwell.. then I tried with an DuoX2 modchip, which has two versions of Cromwell, normal flash bios 3.0.3 and Cromwell Linux, in the two different banks.. BOTH worked to boot from.. then I tried flashing with Xecuter 2 bios, but it still fragged Red/Orange..

now my question is,, why do Cromwell Linux bios and FLashbios Cromwell bios boot up fine and not Evox bios nor Xecuter bios?

but since it works with Cromwell, why wont it state RAM: 128megs?

this is REALLY annoying, as Ive been over this mobo 3 days almost.. trying to get it to work..

it looks pretty good, and I consider myself a professional solderer, which is why I went for this upgrade and wanted to do it myself..

Do you know what it could be mates?

could the heat from my soldering iron have messed the rams up? or somecause of short/no leg, which at the same time allows Cromwell to boot but not Evox Bios?

Anyone please pm me or answer to this post.. I badly need an answer..

considering buying 4 sets of 4-pack rams completely new to try and see if that works..

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
General Hardware FAQ
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(Blind_Samurai)
So basically, all I have to do is solder in extra RAM and I am ready to go?
No. It is not completely confirmed yet, but you will have to use a newer versions of x2 bios (Do NOT ask where to get it !!!) for extra RAM to be recognized or else your Xbox will give you Orange/Red flashings. You will also have to use program like RAMDelimit to remove the limit from XBE's (available at X-S Tools page)

I added four chips to an otherwise stock 1.0 box (more or less) and after the usual FRAO period while I patched up the shorts, it seemed to boot normally... Kinda. Solid green LED and the DVD drive ejected (not a "coma box"), however, no audio/video.

After messing about with the board for about a week, I finally gave in and removed the extra chips. Console booted up fine.

Flashed with X2 5035, re-installed the extra chips, and off it went...

So! Either I missed a short the first time around and the X-Box stopped FRAO'ing anyway (I personally doubt it), or the 1.0 retail BIOS doesn't like extra RAM.

run088

• Archived User
General Hardware FAQ
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »

I would like to point out for anyone out there interested in doing the ram upgrade that it is possible to check your install after each chip to know weather or not it has been installed correctly.The bios that needs to be used to do this is cromwell 2.40 I have not checked any other versions of cromwell to see if they will work as well.
How you can tell that the chip is installed correctly is after you install it and you turn it on it should boot with a normal solid green led with no audio or video.If it has a short or bridge it will FRAG or FRAO.It will not or any other bios that I have tested would not boot correctly with an odd amount of chips every other bios I tried besides cromwell would 3 boot frao when 5 to 7 chips were installed.

bLiGhTy

• Archived User
General Hardware FAQ
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »

i threw my 128mb mobo in the bin because i thought i messed it up, till i read this, Lol wish i did more reading first & got the bios sorted out before hand  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jester.gif)

This post has been edited by bLiGhTy: Jan 12 2009, 08:20 PM

lazymodder

• Archived User
General Hardware FAQ
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »

Heres a noob question I'm new to forums but not to modding. Anyways how do you start a thing? this is my 6th Xbox project and I figured I might aswell share it.

I am putting a PC in a XBOX Case

I already started but there's some more to go.

Heres a noob question I'm new to forums but not to modding. Anyways how do you start a thing? this is my 6th Xbox project and I figured I might aswell share it.

I am putting a PC in a XBOX Case

I already started but there's some more to go.

SkiDragon

• Archived User
General Hardware FAQ
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »

So I have installed 4 chips with one small issue. I broke a pin. However, this pin does not seem to be connected to anything, and is shorted to the neighboring pin by default, even in the original RAM chips. My meter even showed continuity between the little pin stub and the pad it should have been soldered to.

I have a modchip, so I have an Xecuter bios and a Cromwell bios I can switch between, in addition to the stock bios. All BIOSes seem to boot normally in regards to the LED (before it would turn itself on and off a couple of times, and then blink). However, I cannot get any audio or video. I have tried both composite and component connections. Any tips?

ComputerBand

• Archived User
General Hardware FAQ
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »

Hey guys, I just joined this site, partially bcause I'm having a problem with my Xbox 1.  I recently got a brand new copy of Halo and after playing it for about a day, it froze on me.  After booting it up again and it freezing again, my Xbox is practically dead.  Now whenever I try to boot it up, I get the "you need service" screen.... except there is NO ERROR CODE WTF?   I have taken apart two Windows computers and I have taken the case off of my Xbox, so to an extent I know what I'm doing with the inside workings of electronics.  Andone got an answer?  I've already checked some of the other pages.... can't find anything.

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
General Hardware FAQ
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »

The original 1.0 consoles don't give error codes. Presumably this system is unmodded?

Most likely it'll be the HDD or PSU at fault. Slight chance it's the DVD drive.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8