xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: "always On" Xbox  (Read 88 times)

BEClueless

• Archived User
"always On" Xbox
« on: April 29, 2003, 07:48:00 PM »

What type of cooling methods would be needed to use my xbox as a linux box (in it's original xbox case) and be able to leave it on for long periods of time (24+ hours)?  Would the power supply hold up? I would think it would be the first thing to go in an "always on" box.  

Also, if I were to buy a wireless controller, could I plug in my PSO USB adaptor that goes in the memory card slot and still be able to use my keyboard and mouse (even though the controller is wireless)?

I am contemplating making my xbox into a sort of living room PC with AIM and internet and email uses.  I already have mandrake installed, but I will switch to the other one (debian?) after my 120 gig HDD goes in... cause I can't install mandrake on E:, and I heard if linux is on F: then you can't play games from it... too bad... I love mandrake 9.0, I have it on a couple of old PCs and it is great... great software package.

MartialXboxArtist

• Archived User
"always On" Xbox
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2003, 08:00:00 PM »

You can do my mod, click on "MY Xbox" in my Signature..  :D

BEClueless

• Archived User
"always On" Xbox
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2003, 06:04:00 AM »

Looks like a pretty nice mod... what is your normal CPU and MB temp? is there any way to measure HDD temp?  

Does anyone know about the wireless USB thing?