xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Unlock Harddrive  (Read 28 times)

mikearama

• Archived User
Unlock Harddrive
« on: June 17, 2005, 12:58:00 PM »

I've had an XBOX returned to me, which had a Maxtor 120 in it.  The client also dropped off a new BOX.  Here's the dilemna...

The drive was "locked" by the previous system.  Now I cannot "unlock" it with the new BOX.  EvolutionX shows it having a lock error.

Any thoughts on how to unlock/drive this drive for the new BOX?  Preciate any ideas.

seriouslysilly

• Archived User
Unlock Harddrive
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 01:18:00 PM »

have you tried configmagic to unlock it with the old box?

mikearama

• Archived User
Unlock Harddrive
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 01:37:00 PM »

The old XBOX is toast... no video.  So I need a method of unlocking it via either the new BOX or one of my PC's.

lordvader129

• Archived User
Unlock Harddrive
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 02:32:00 PM »

is it a stock HD? if so your pretty much screwed unless you can get the eeprom (the .bin backup or desolder the physical chip)

if its an upgraded HD you can try the passwords TEAMASSEMBLY or XBOXSCENE with atapwd.exe to unlock it

mikearama

• Archived User
Unlock Harddrive
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 12:30:00 PM »

I went the atapwd and hddunlock route (thanks lordvader)... without success.

When prompted for the password to unlock the drive, both TEAMASSEMBLY and XBOXSCENE appeared to work, as my computer replied with "done".  But, back in atapwd, the "L" (for locked") was still checked.

Any other suggestions?  Is there any way to view the harddrive's actual password?

mikearama

• Archived User
Unlock Harddrive
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 08:54:00 PM »

I expected there to be a method to do a low-level format of a drive... erase any evidence of a lock/etc... not so?

I was just checking out an app called hddpass-v1.0... designed to determine a drive's password.  Unfortunately, it appears to require Linux (installed on the drive, in the XBox).  Is there no other app like this one but that doesn't require linux, and can be run on a PC?

the avitus

• Archived User
Unlock Harddrive
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 04:24:00 AM »

i had the same unlock problem. So i soldered the locked hdd's EEprom chip into my other box and now i get no video, no audio and no eject capability. what should i do?

Neilor

• Archived User
Unlock Harddrive
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 06:29:00 AM »

If the xbox still works with just the video screwed, try creating a Configmagic bootdisk and try and run it blind, the program will change the front LED for the purpose of restoring an eprom in this way, so at least you can use this to indicate that the program is booted correctly from DVD.

Just go through the motions on a functioning Xbox and take down the keypresses...

Another option would be an Evox bootdisk, get access through FTP and copy evox to the harddrive, modify the evox.ini on the harddrive so that the first or only menu option is Backup. Create another Evox bootdisk that has the first or only menu option to launch the Harddrive Evox .... once you boot with the second evox disk press A, wait 10 seconds, press A again and voila .... Eprom back up and HDKey on your harddrive, unlock with atapwd and off you go.

the avitus

• Archived User
Unlock Harddrive
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 05:22:00 AM »

ok how do i connect to the hdd for ftp without any video?  could you please go into detail on how i can fix this problem.. All i can do is load the flashbios screen off of the x3 chip.. besides that there is no audio, video or eject. and it had been working fine for the last year untill i replaced the eeprom chip. its like my 1.6 xbox is in a coma

Neilor

• Archived User
Unlock Harddrive
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 07:48:00 AM »

Avitus: My reply was directed to mikearama.

However if you have X3, there should be built in FTP? Also I think there are some EEPROM restore features in the X3.

If the video working okay on the X3 config screens then your problem sounds more hardware related, the EEPROM contents are either incompatible with your Xbox version or you need to check the soldering.

Even with FTP access, I'm not sure if you can fix this box, if you have a copy of the eprom file, you could try replacing your default dashboard with ConfigMagic and running blind restore, but if the Box won't allow Eject, it sounds like it doesn't even get to boot the HD... your best chance is most likely within the X3 chip... sorry I can't give you further/specific help, as I don't have an X3.

the avitus

• Archived User
Unlock Harddrive
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 11:24:00 PM »

THX FOR REPLYING... I tried last night to replash the bios but that did nothing..  The hard drive is now loading and i can successfull turn it on withouth it lagging it just sits with the mod enabled and the green light runs. the hdd boots but no audio or video

Neilor

• Archived User
Unlock Harddrive
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 02:26:00 AM »

Do you have a backup of the original EEPROM file for the Xbox?

If so try and restore it with either the X3 or use Configmagic in blind mode (there are instruction in the ConfigMagic's readme.txt file)

If this does nothing for you, then it is most likely a soldering issue or a blown EEPROM.