xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Problems With Dvd2xbox  (Read 24 times)

LepPpeR

• Archived User
Problems With Dvd2xbox
« on: May 24, 2004, 08:41:00 PM »

are the disc's scratched?  if so then there is not much anything can do to copy the media.  You can trying FTP'ing to your PC and seeing if that allows it.

LepPpeR

• Archived User
Problems With Dvd2xbox
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 09:08:00 PM »

Not really, a scratch is a scratch.  it is not the program afterall, it is the ability of the DVD drive to read the disc.

opjose

• Archived User
Problems With Dvd2xbox
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 09:10:00 PM »

With marginal disks, it's more how the DVD reader handles it...

however there are a couple of things that could be done to improve marginal situations in DVD2Xbox...

1 ) When an error occurs read all the blocks up to the point of the error but note the error.

2 ) After this suggest that the user eject the disk, clean it, and re-insert it.

Sometimes misreads can be subsequently picked up on other attempts if the software alows the reader to resume from the errant block.

I do this all the time on the PC to fix marginal disks W/O resorting to accepting data loss.

In other words often the disk is clamped slightly differently, the media cleaned slightly, the laser reflects, differently on a scratch, etc. and a forced retry AFTER an eject and re-insertion, and this can permit a file to be read that failed before.

E.G. it goes like this...

A file error is discovered. It is logged.

The user is prompted to retry now or later.

If now, the user is prompted that they can remove and re-insert the disk.

When re-inserted the directory is re-read to verify that the disk was registered, as it may have not re-registered upon re-insertion.

Then the program goes back to the SAME bad block it had the error before with a different button press which says, A to try again, B to try 10 times, Y to skip this file and continue.

If it succeeds the success is logged.

If it fails the missing file is logged and reported.

Basically I do this with DVD rescue, not that DVD rescue does anything other the ordinary except force retries.... however I can't do this with GDF disks.

It would be VERY nice if DVD2Xbox could...

chaosbringer

• Archived User
Problems With Dvd2xbox
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 11:03:00 PM »

Cheers, one of my games were successfully backed up with xcommander.

WiSo

• Archived User
Problems With Dvd2xbox
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 07:44:00 AM »

QUOTE (opjose @ May 25 2004, 06:10 AM)
It would be VERY nice if DVD2Xbox could...

Unfortunately that isn't so easy with the current architecture of dvd2xbox. But I can do at least a two things:
- exchange the MS SDK copy function by own ones which copy the files block by block
- log reading errors and retry X times

The hold on error is currently not possible.

baddkar

• Archived User
Problems With Dvd2xbox
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 09:35:00 AM »

Last night I backed up my first game, Red Dead Revolver, using DVD2XBOX, once it was finished it said 4 files not able to be be backedup (or something like that).  I then tried playing the game from the back up and it worked fine, but are those 4 files going to come into play once I get near the end or try something other than just single player?

RedVVing19

• Archived User
Problems With Dvd2xbox
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 11:26:00 AM »

I was backing up ToCA Race Driver 2: The Ultimate Racing Simulator and dvd2xbox renamed one of the files.

when trying to play on the hdd it freezes up on the load screen, how do i fix this problem?

(im assuming it renamed the game name because of the lenght)

chefelf

• Archived User
Problems With Dvd2xbox
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 11:46:00 AM »

QUOTE (RedVVing19 @ May 25 2004, 03:26 PM)
when trying to play on the hdd it freezes up on the load screen, how do i fix this problem?
The hold on error is currently not possible.

dvd2xbox currently reports failed file copies after backups, correct?  The "hold on" function, while it would be a nice feature, isn't really necessary.

I always just check after my backups.  If it says "Files failed to copy: 0", which it normally does, then I put the disc back in its case and have done with it.

smile.gif

RedVVing19

• Archived User
Problems With Dvd2xbox
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 11:49:00 AM »

Solution:
In order to run these games on the Xbox hard drive, the filenames have to be changed and the game has to be patched to look for the new, shorter, file names.

exactly what file names?

chefelf

• Archived User
Problems With Dvd2xbox
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 11:57:00 AM »

It depends on the game.  Different games have different filenames.  I don't know what filenames are in that particular game.

RedVVing19

• Archived User
Problems With Dvd2xbox
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 12:01:00 PM »

So there is no basic guideline to doing this?  Any particular files that i need to watch out for

chefelf

• Archived User
Problems With Dvd2xbox
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2004, 12:10:00 PM »

Not really.  Any game with long filenames just needs to be patched.  Games with long filenames are usually well discussed here on the forums.  smile.gif

RedVVing19

• Archived User
Problems With Dvd2xbox
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2004, 12:20:00 PM »

Links?

a quick search did not find anything

WiSo

• Archived User
Problems With Dvd2xbox
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2004, 04:57:00 AM »

QUOTE (chaosbringer @ May 25 2004, 09:41 PM)
XBMC copies files from the dvd to HDD pretty well, the only thing is it is not as easy to use as DVD2XBOX. If dvd2xbox had a resume feature or error log I would be singing up and down the road

At least the error log is implemented since ages. Just turn on logging in the settings menu and have a look inside the logs directory.
There you can find all failed files and also which filenames are renamed.