xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25

Author Topic: Move Over Menux - Here Comes Cdx.xbe  (Read 1690 times)

Bogus8

• Archived User
Move Over Menux - Here Comes Cdx.xbe
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2004, 11:51:00 PM »

Word!

brianforever

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2004, 10:49:00 AM »

uhh.gif

PolarBearWY

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2004, 12:04:00 PM »

Not to argue semantics, but CDX doesn't "compile" anything.  The question has been asked before in other words.  One still has to "compile" the games they want in a single folder then tell CDX.INX what to do with them, what they are, and where they are.  (Then, ISO and burn.)

It is a kick ass menu for what you compile yourself.  I use it to launch all the games on the hard drive.  I don't bother with discs at all.  If I want to play a game other than the 60 or so on the HDD I just take out the original.

chilin_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2004, 12:47:00 PM »

QUOTE (PolarBearWY @ Apr 5 2004, 09:04 PM)
Not to argue semantics, but CDX doesn't "compile" anything.  The question has been asked before in other words.  One still has to "compile" the games they want in a single folder then tell CDX.INX what to do with them, what they are, and where they are.  (Then, ISO and burn.)

It is a kick ass menu for what you compile yourself.  I use it to launch all the games on the hard drive.  I don't bother with discs at all.  If I want to play a game other than the 60 or so on the HDD I just take out the original.

Well when it is Craxtion it will rock...
So then it will compile... And i did'nt think it worked off hdd  rolleyes.gif

PolarBearWY

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2004, 06:31:00 PM »

It works great off the HDD.

1.  Put cdx.xbe in F:\
2.  Put \cdxmedia\ in F:\ as well.
3.  Add the following line to evox.ini

Item "CDX","F:\cdx.xbe"  (I think this is right)

4.  Put games in F:\GAMES folder.

That's that.

I run it from Evox and set the B button to go back to Evox if I need to.  I suppose I could rename the xbe to something that my BIOS would boot too, but there's no need for that.  CDX is the first option in my Evox menu, so I just hit the A button on boot when I know I'm going to use it.  Don't even need to turn the TV on for that.. hehehe.

xb0xb0y

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2004, 05:41:00 AM »

First off, thanx to all for the great amount of work and research into this.  I'd have to ask why this thread isn't pinned, or mentioned in of the pinned "important/key threads".  Also, what happened to everyone?  Seems all the key ppl abandoned this topic, or at least moved on to something else.  Has all that could be done, has been done already?

Anyhow, I'd like some assistance if possible with CDX.  Can someone tell me what version is the CDX available from "the usual place" that seems to be deposited there by TheNut?  I have both KFC and CS but I like to use the skin from TheNut version.  However I haven't been able to remove the "CDX Sample" and the "www.xbox.com" on the screen with the fields "AppTitle" and "Website" as posted in this thread.  I've read that it may be hard coded in certain skins ... is this the reason for this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanx!

PolarBearWY

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2004, 08:48:00 AM »

In the first few pages of the thread, you can find what games contain CDX.  There are about a dozen.  Kung Fu Chaos, Crimson Skies, and many more I can't think of.  I think Crimson Skies is one of the better ones.  I think that's the one that scrolls the description.  If you don't own a game that has CDX, buy one.  It's worth the money, and some of the games are also worth the money.

I don't know what the "usual place" you speak of, but it is all over the place.  I can't really recommend that you just rent a game to get it, since CDX is probably copyrighted material, though I guess the forum mods didn't have a problem with other people hosting it on their website.

BUT!

Maybe that's why http://snow.prohosti...4//gamescdx.asp is no longer running.  Maybe it was shut down.. hehehe.

xboxboy, why don't you post part of your INX file.  Maybe you are doing something wrong with the website and apptitle values.

borley

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2004, 11:22:00 PM »

bump

xb0xb0y

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2004, 02:46:00 PM »

QUOTE (PolarBearWY @ Apr 17 2004, 12:48 PM)
In the first few pages of the thread, you can find what games contain CDX.  There are about a dozen.  Kung Fu Chaos, Crimson Skies, and many more I can't think of.  I think Crimson Skies is one of the better ones.  I think that's the one that scrolls the description.  If you don't own a game that has CDX, buy one.  It's worth the money, and some of the games are also worth the money.

I don't know what the "usual place" you speak of, but it is all over the place.  I can't really recommend that you just rent a game to get it, since CDX is probably copyrighted material, though I guess the forum mods didn't have a problem with other people hosting it on their website.

BUT!

Maybe that's why http://snow.prohosti...4//gamescdx.asp is no longer running.  Maybe it was shut down.. hehehe.

xboxboy, why don't you post part of your INX file.  Maybe you are doing something wrong with the website and apptitle values.

As I had already said in my post, I already have the version of CDX from Kung Fu Chaos (KFC) and Crimson Skies (CS).  I also got a copy of CDX from "the usual places", which I guess you didn't understand to mean Xbins.

Can someone tell me where the Xbins CDX skin came from?  And if I can remove the "CDX Sample" from the top left and "www.xbox.com" from the bottom right?  Or is this hard coded in the XPR file?

PolarBearWY

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2004, 03:21:00 PM »

QUOTE (xb0xb0y @ Apr 19 2004, 11:46 PM)
As I had already said in my post, I already have the version of CDX from Kung Fu Chaos (KFC) and Crimson Skies (CS).  I also got a copy of CDX from "the usual places", which I guess you didn't understand to mean Xbins.

Can someone tell me where the Xbins CDX skin came from?  And if I can remove the "CDX Sample" from the top left and "www.xbox.com" from the bottom right?  Or is this hard coded in the XPR file?

Sorry.  I have never been on XBins.  I don't use MiRC.

The version I'm using (don't remember what game) doesn't have the webpage or title as part of the skin.

brianforever

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2004, 12:05:00 AM »

smile.gif

Bumpity to the Top smile.gif

xb0xb0y

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2004, 08:03:00 AM »

QUOTE (Knocks @ Apr 20 2004, 07:51 PM)
Most of what could be done has indeed been done smile.gif.  The only remaining problem is that a few games still freeze when launched from CDX.  Those games are quite rare--Conflict Desert Storm II is one of them.  The easiest and most painless solution is to put a copy of  CDX.xbe in the folder of the game that gives you problems and link to that CDX.xbe from your cdx.inx.  When you try to launch the "clone" CDX, it will fail to find the necessary fonts and skin files and redirect you to the default.xbe. 

As for various skins, I assume the one up on xbins came with the MS XDK.  I personally like the Kung Fu Chaos one the best, as it's the most neutral skin and it looks good, plus it supports scrolling and everything else.

One small change I have done was changing the coordinates of the preview window in my compilation discs because I got tired of looking for 4:3 images or cropping box covers.  So now my CDX displays full-sized cover art when I select a game, and it only takes seconds to get those from Amazon or any other site that sells games  biggrin.gif.  It looks awesome and has saved me a lot of time.  I would gladly include a screenshot but unfortunately I don't have my Xbox set up for capturing screens.

I think that covers it.   Enjoy pop.gif.

Hey Knocks, thanx for the reply.  Can you share with me what in fact you did to resize the preview screens?  I might do that for some of the my games that don't have in-game preview movies.  Most have either bik, xmv or sfd videos hidden in the games subdirectories that I end up recycling into the menu since they are already gonna be on the disk.  Just takes a little more effort to find but it's well worth in in my opinion.  FYI, I find Walmart has better selection/quality covers (than Amazon).

I've also quickly tried changing the graphics in the xpr using the information from this post, here's the modified cdx0 from the xpr ... check it out:

user posted image

I've extracted it, modifed, converted back to dxt2, hexxed back in the image and then re-extracted to make sure it was okay.  I'm not at home so I haven't tested it on my Xbox yet, but should be okay.

Does anyone know if it's okay for me to use www.xbox-scene.com and the logo?  biggrin.gif

PolarBearWY

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2004, 11:38:00 AM »

QUOTE (Knocks @ Apr 21 2004, 12:51 AM)
I got tired of looking for 4:3 images or cropping box covers.  So now my CDX displays full-sized cover art when I select a game

Why don't you try the source?  www.xbox.com

Plenty (all of them) of great screenshots that are 4:3.

(Brings up something I have been meaning to ask...  anyone know how to rip and save the movies on the XBox site?  They have some good ones and I'd like to put those in my CDX menus instead of stills.

xb0xb0y

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2004, 09:05:00 AM »

QUOTE (PolarBearWY @ Apr 21 2004, 03:38 PM)
Brings up something I have been meaning to ask...  anyone know how to rip and save the movies on the XBox site?  They have some good ones and I'd like to put those in my CDX menus instead of stills.

like i said, just recycle the videos available in the games themselves.  why waste more space if it's not necessary?  although it takes a bit of time to find, i don't see it being any more time then you trying to find vids off the net.

if you can't find a usable vid in the game.  try your hand at www.gametrailers.com.  lots of stuff there.  couldn't figure out how to save the vid streams from www.xbox.com directly myself.

cheers.

robstar

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2004, 08:59:00 AM »

Hi this Cdx is great and easy but i cant get the game to boot I tried a lot of thing here in my inx files.

[Games]
Action="Submenu"
DisplayName = "CDX Multi Game Menu."
Preview="images\logo.jpg"
Description = "Time to play the game"
game1
game2

#
# ganme item definitions
#

[game1]
DisplayName="Doom X"