xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: The Ultimate Yager Backup To 2 Dvd-r Tutorial  (Read 29 times)

Jeslan

• Archived User
The Ultimate Yager Backup To 2 Dvd-r Tutorial
« on: September 01, 2003, 03:28:00 AM »

Topic: The Ultimate Yager Backup to 2 DVD-R Tutorial
Description: and probably many > 4.7GB games

Ok, yeah, I know. I hope this don't be the ultimate tutorial to backup > 4.7GB games and sure It will not be. But, until next tutorial about this comes here is mine.

I will explain It in a few and really easy steps. And I will use as example the game Yager.

First of all I would like to say to all those people in these forums that were saying on many post that backup a game to 2 DVD-R and still playing with them was impossible that they were completely wrong. It can be done. And is really really easy. It is not as easy as play with the original or the downsampled version, but It is only a bit less simple and you get a backup of ALL game at BEST quality as the original, but in 2 DVD-R.

Ok, let's started.

First, we need to make the same as with any other backup, copy the Yager DVD files onto our PC hard disk.

Second, we have to create 2 folders, "DVD1" and "DVD2" where we will put the files from each one.

Create also a folder named "main" where we will put the main files that both DVDs will have in common (this is to get sure all works correctly without errors).

Move to the "main" folder the following files/folders:

"loadscreens" (this is the only one folder in this game)
"attractmode.bik"
"opener.bik"
"default.xbe"
"muc_menue_wb.xwb"
"menu.yrf"
"missions.ysc"
"credits.bik"
"end_credits_01.bik"
"end_credits_02.bik"
"end_credits_03.bik"

To get sure no problem occurs move too (I don't know what are exactly the next files):

"muc_show_bf_wb.xwb"
"muc_show_dai_wb.xwb"

and all the rest files named "muc_show_*******"

"showroom_btf_05.yrf"

and all the rest files named "showroom_*******"

Ok, now that we have these on "main" folder move the files needed on DVD1:

all the files started with "mXX*.bik" (where XX is a number, * is more or less letters)
from 00 to 18.

the same goes for the files named "muc_mXX_wb.wxb" from 00 to 18.

again the same for the files named "missionXX*.yrf" from 00 to 18.

Ok, now move the remaining files to the "DVD2" folder.

Copy the files "mXX*.bik", "muc_mXX_wb.wxb" and "missionXX*.yrf" from 17 to 18 from the "DVD1" folder to the "DVD2" folder.

Now the only one thing left is copy the content of "main" folder in both "DVD1" and "DVD2" folders.

Create 2 different ISOs with "Craxtion" and burn them.

Ok, now you have 2 working copies of the Yager game, one with the missions from 1 to 18 and another with the missions from 17 to the end of the game.

You only have to remember to make a savegame when you be playing missions 17 or 18, shutdown game, run from the second Yager backup DVD and load the savegame to get playing again.

smile.gif I hope these can be useful for someone. smile.gif

Notes: With these system we even can get the backup (non working one) on only 1 DVD-R if we don't care to play from the console HD (no need a greater HD). We only have to compress with a ZIP or RAR the "DVD1" and "DVD2" folders and burn the RAR to DVD. When we want to play the game we decompress the folder we need and then FTP them to the E drive of the Xbox and execute the game from there. When we get to the 17 or 18 missions we make a savegame and delete the "DVD1" HD folder to decompress and copy the "DVD2" folder to still playing the game. smile.gif

Note2: I am not sure If Yager permits to open the DVD while the game is loaded, if the game permits It and the Dashboard we are using don't reset the game we can change the DVD in any moment (while in the mission 17 or 18) without have to shutdown the game. Just the same as when we have to change the CD on a PC game while playing. smile.gif The only thing that could happen is the music to stop playing (but the game still working) or the game to reset. But remember to save when you can and pause the game before. smile.gif

Note3: I am sure this is not the only one game with a size greater than 4.7GB that can be "backuped" up to 2 DVD-R with this trick and I am sure It will not be the only one. smile.gif

Note4: If you prefer to backup the game on 2 DVDs then you could prefer to use all the DVD size and get full the DVD with some CD-RIP versions of another games you can create a menu with the "Craxtion" software and run the DVD2 of the Yager from the menu. Warning. This will not allow you to change the DVD on the fly while playing game. You will have to shutdown game and load the 2nd DVD from the menu.

Note5: Remember to patch the "default.bxe" or your backup will not work. You can patch it with the Craxtion software.

Greetings,

- Jeslan -