xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33]

Author Topic: Patching New Games - Comments, Questions, Patches  (Read 2194 times)

StUbOiSk

• Archived User
Patching New Games - Comments, Questions, Patches
« Reply #480 on: July 21, 2003, 11:38:00 AM »

Had a few probs burning a backup of pirates of the caribbean....with media checks..used adr patcher with the update now works fine..nice work from u all in the no.. beerchug.gif

Xeero

• Archived User
« Reply #481 on: July 21, 2003, 07:04:00 PM »

Maybe this will help.
QUOTE (dcaruana)
I may be off my rocker here, but I think your 20-byte string might be overshooting the mark a bit. Let me explain...

A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away there was this kid who taught himself assembler language partly because he thought it was neat to remove copy protection from IBM and Apple games. It's been a long time and a lot has changed in that arena, but some things still look a lot alike, particularly when you realize that the Xbox is still just an Intel processor.

Anyway, to my point...

If you disassemble the hex bytes you're using (skipping the first one), it looks like this in machine code/assembler:

0C8E:0101 750F JNZ 0112
0C8E:0103 E8A1FE CALL FFA7
0C8E:0106 FFFF ??? DI
0C8E:0108 85C0 TEST AX,AX
0C8E:010A 7D06 JGE 0112
0C8E:010C 33C0 XOR AX,AX
0C8E:010E 50 PUSH AX
0C8E:010F 50 PUSH AX
0C8E:0110 EB44 JMP 0156
0C8E:0112 F605FF TEST BYTE PTR [DI],FF

I skipped the first byte so you can see how the logic fits together. That's a Jump if Not Zero over the whole routine. Best not to screw with it, but it fits in place. In any case, immediately before your target byte, you have some machination which is meant to trigger the conditional jump at byte 10a (the famous '7D' byte). Normally, this is Jump if Greater Than or Equal to. If you change that 7D to an EB, it becomes an unconditional jump to 112, like so:
0C8E:010A EB06 JMP 0112

The key here, and this is cracking strategy since before a few of you were born, is what you have is a test, conditional branch, and failure. The barebones basics is always let it run the test and "force" success. In other words, the bytes immediately AFTER the conditional jump are your failure routine:
0C8E:0112 ...

By changing the branch to unconditional, you skip this routine altogether and proceed, making the program think the test was passed. So, what I'm suggesting, particularly since there seems to already be some variation, is you focus on the bytes from the conditional branch through the failure routine:
0C8E:010A 7D06 JGE 0112

The test before the conditional jump might change (although I doubt it), but I'm fairly confident that you could just use everything up to the unconditional jump (the offest might change as well). In other words, use:
7D 06 33 C0 50 50 EB

Now, if you guys have all figured this out already, or I'm wrong, well, sorry to have wasted everyone's time and thanks for letting an old man re-live some glory days. If not, would anyone care to test this? It might be a more versatile way to stay in front of the variations as they come.

Don

SirLuck

• Archived User
« Reply #482 on: July 24, 2003, 09:56:00 PM »

I'm permanently a newbie and cant even recall which mod chip I have, lol.   Does one of these patching programs work totally automatically from the hard drive?  Or do I have to link the pc and xbox and type commands? (I cant seem to do this without a router/hub) I would really appreciate being able to patch without a pc.

leestallion

• Archived User
« Reply #483 on: July 26, 2003, 08:52:00 AM »

xeero
can you help with soldier of fortune 2 i have tried all the patchers in this topic and non of them work also i cannot find the binary string you referred to earlier so i can't change it.
thanks

lghawkins

• Archived User
« Reply #484 on: July 26, 2003, 04:32:00 PM »

Die Hard Vendetta - I have cracked my last 23 games though am having some difficulty on this game.  Although I have auto load set to "OFF" for games and DVD's, whenever I boot up the dashboard then enter the game into the DVD drive, it bloody loads.  This causes a real problem because then I cannot FTP it to my PC.

Anyone have any suggestions?  I have searched all the forums although noone seems to have written anything on this yet.

Thanks everyone.

beerchug.gif

flame8

• Archived User
« Reply #485 on: July 26, 2003, 05:01:00 PM »

QUOTE (lghawkins @ Jul 27 2003, 01:32 AM)
Die Hard Vendetta - I have cracked my last 23 games though am having some difficulty on this game.  Although I have auto load set to "OFF" for games and DVD's, whenever I boot up the dashboard then enter the game into the DVD drive, it bloody loads.  This causes a real problem because then I cannot FTP it to my PC.

Anyone have any suggestions?  I have searched all the forums although noone seems to have written anything on this yet.

Thanks everyone.

beerchug.gif

I thought that game was only on PS2 and GC ?!?!?  blink.gif  ohmy.gif

lghawkins

• Archived User
« Reply #486 on: July 26, 2003, 05:08:00 PM »

Yeah, so did I - but I just got a PAL version in Australia - legit!
wink.gif

Xeero

• Archived User
« Reply #487 on: July 28, 2003, 06:35:00 AM »

QUOTE (firetripper @ Jul 28 2003, 07:26 AM)
Sorry for another noobish question,

Will this work with XBE files that are modified to work with the Bert/ernie font exploit?

I mean I have to patch XBE files with XBEsign just to get the code to work on my non mod chipped xbox.

If none of these exploits circumvent the newer media checks, then yes, you can certainly patch them AND sign them.  The areas affected are completely separate, so they won't conflict.

Xeero

• Archived User
« Reply #488 on: July 29, 2003, 10:59:00 AM »

QUOTE (ps07606 @ Jul 29 2003, 12:15 AM)
i am running evox 3285 on a cheapmod with x2 4974 (this came preflashed).  i currently cannot flash the chip unless i solder wires on the chip based on the tuts.

i have Star Wars KotOR and have backed it up on my 120 GB HDD with Pxx HDDloader v1.2 with no problems and have patched all the XBE's that came with this game with ADR Patcher 0.5 and uploaded back to XBOX.  I still experience freeze at the main menu.  is this a problem with turning IGR off or my BIOS?  i read that x2 4974 does not support IGR disabling?  does this mean i cannot get this game to work on this BIOS?

i don't want to open my box and solder unless i truly have to...

Disable IGR in EvoX, not the X2 BIOS!!!

Xeero

• Archived User
« Reply #489 on: July 29, 2003, 11:18:00 AM »

QUOTE (ps07606 @ Jul 29 2003, 03:09 PM)
I am certain that all 3 instances was already set to No (disabled).

is there a way to disable IGR thru X2 4974 BIOS?

What the hell...  NO, YOU DO NOT DISABLE X2 IGR!

Xeero

• Archived User
« Reply #490 on: July 30, 2003, 04:59:00 AM »

People are really starting to ask ridiculous questions now...

Some examples of posts I have deleted in the past several days:
-Where do I get the latest BIOS?
-If I get this game, will I play be able to play it?
-My game freezes.  Should I patch it?

-I will NOT give you the latest BIOS.
-This thread is not for hypothetical support as the information has already been provided for you to determine how to address a media check should you encounter one.
and finally...
-If your game is freezing, it's NOT a media check! If it resets to the dash, THEN it might be a media check.

As a consequence of 1-post Joes posting crap like the above in this thread as if it were a dumping ground for any unrelated posts, I'm closing it.  Please post such questions in the Garbage Bin from now on.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33]