xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Component On Pal Xbox Scrambled/black&white  (Read 880 times)

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Component On Pal Xbox Scrambled/black&white
« on: September 27, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »

I'm not saying it is this but my first thought is a cable fault and the second the TV. Have you checked what resolutions the TV supports through Component? Some do not like 480i and, if so, that's a problem.

If you set up the TSOP, softmod or whatever with a SD cable then whatever the default settings for HD are there is no way I know of to change them until you get a HD cable that works - a chicken and egg situation. AFAIK even though you can change the resolution settings using the UnleashX dash with a SD cable type fitted it doesn't save them. You could try doing that but I'm not hopeful. I'm also thinking that with Shadow C protection you'd need to turn that off first too.    

You could check the cable if you have another Xbox and it causes the same problem but, of course, if it is the cable then there's really no solution other than to replace it.

This just occurred to me as it solved a problem I had where one Xbox which for some unaccountable reason was stuck in 1080i even when used with a SD cable. The trick you could try is the reverse of what I did and again requires the UnleashX dash and Shadow C protection, if used, disabled.  

With a Composite cable go to the UnleashX System > Settings > Video Settings screen and alter the resolution settings to 480p/720p/1080i then, whilst still on that screen, hotswap from the Composite cable to the connected Component cable. No guarantees.

If somebody knows a simpler solution to a situation like this I'd be interested to know myself.

plumbumber

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 05:24:00 AM »

Thanks for the response. It is definitely my TV... I tried it on other tv's and the cable works... I don't think this one will be solvable except if i buy a different TV. (ps about your hotswap theory, if you swap the cable from composite to component, the xbox reboots)

ps: would a VGA cable solve this or (which seems more logical) would it still be the same effect because of the TV not being compatible

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 06:09:00 AM »

I'm no expert on Xbox + VGA but I know it doesn't support it natively so its not an easy solution and no guarantees it will work.

I refer you to this recent thread:-

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=746005

However are you saying you have another ED/HD TV which works properly with the Component cable? If so I assume you have used that to reset the Xbox to NTSC and enabled and saved the ED/HD settings. Remember also that if Shadow C protection (if you have it) isn't switched off those changes will be lost on any reboot.

If the Xbox has definitely had 480p/720p/1080i enabled and its still not working with that TV via Component then there is something else going on but I'm not sure what.

plumbumber

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 02:54:00 PM »

Hmm, I still think its a lost cause, I was able to put the settings to 720p with scrambled video output before I made the video & post (my xbox output was fine, tv just couldn't handle it). Don't think it will be solved with vga (or it will not be in much beter quality since it has to be converted from component to vga) since it would be the same signal, just different cable. Thanks for your help but unless someone comes up with some genius idea about a minor setting, it will not be solved, because i think its not the settings nor the cable (I installed softmod without virtual C btw). I do find it strange that HDMI works fine(360) but the xbox on pal settings and 480p shows black and white screen (component) and with ntsc it doesn't show or the screen gets messed up (and dissapeares and appears for a few seconds before i get no signal). but how much can u expect from a 300 € TV that is already 1 or 2 years old (doesn't even display full hd i think but 720 p shouldnt be such a big deal)

Might try the VGA alternative after a while next time i get bored and have some spare coin for a converter tongue.gif