xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Line Out Mod  (Read 820 times)

greyham_666

• Archived User
Xbox Line Out Mod
« on: June 30, 2013, 02:40:00 AM »

Wishing to get myself a dedicated, headless, high quality PC based audio player i found myself looking at a couple of options.
1)   Build a low powered dedicated PC with high grade components like USB DAC’s etc.
Good investment, but can be very costly
2)   Get my hands on  a 1st gen Apple TV and upgrade the HDD as well as replace the Wi-Fi card with a Video Decoder chip. Cost’s money but a lot cheaper than a dedicated pc.
3)   Further mod my original Xbox. Costs next to nothing
Whilst I’d love to build a pc, I’m not particularly flushed with cash atm. As such I’m tossing up between options 2 and 3.

After some research I found out that the Xbox uses a Wolfson WM9709 DAC chip. This is good because it’s a quality chip, but not so good as it upscales everything to 48kHz due to the ability of the Xbox to double as a DVD player. This would distort the majority of my 44.1kHz cd based FLAC collection. That said, I’m currently looking into getting the best possible signal out of my trusty original Xbox. I found the spec sheet for said chip here:

http://pdf.datasheet...on/mXyzqyyr.pdf

Page 2 gives us the pin-out of the chip with the L/R channels located on pins 17 & 18.
My Idea is to take the audio lines straight from here to dedicated permanent RCA jacks I’ll be attaching to the rear I/O of my Xbox. This is in order to bypass any caps or anything of the like in-between the DAC chip and the stock AV plug, in order to get the best sound possible. Said signal will run directly through RCA to my amp and then onto my speakers.

Posting here to see if there’s any problems with my logic so far, or if there’s any tips people could offer.
I’ve already slimbox-modded my Xbox and its running a 500GB HDD. I’m yet to add an internal Wi-Fi adapter so that I can control the Xbox from my Phone using the remote app, and I also plan on upgrading the cooling capabilities and adding some custom feet to give it more of a hifi look tongue.gif