xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Vga Cable  (Read 915 times)

Blux

• Archived User
Vga Cable
« on: April 10, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »

So i'm getting ready to build a bartop arcade out of my old XBox and my spare 19" Acer LCD.

I haven't hard modded my XBox yet which is 1.4v BTW, but I am currently getting the cable prepped.

I bought one of the Microsoft HD Component packs, 10x 0.1uF 100V capacitors, 50x 680k ohm 1/4W resistors, and 2 LM1881N chips.  My Acer is non-SoG so I have to build the VGA with sync seperator for it to work.

I got the idea from Completed Worklog #2: New Hdtv/vga Breakout Box by Frosty

Is the information from Quick Guide for HD still correct for VGA?

Also my Aerogel cap busted in my XBox.  I haven't removed it yet, but that is first thing on the list.  Once I TSOP the XBox do I even need the cap?

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
Vga Cable
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(Blux @ Apr 11 2013, 01:41 AM) *

Is the information from Quick Guide for HD still correct for VGA?
Yes and no. Everything there is still the most up-to-date info that you need, but there has since been a discovery of a better sync separator chip. The LM1881 does not produce a 100% compatible sync signal (due to no horizontal sync output) and for this reason, some PC monitors would simply not work with the finished cable.

Better to use something like an EL1883 for sync separation, which has a real H Sync out (pin 7).

EDIT (For additional information):
No, you don't need the clock cap. You can remove it with no need to replace it other than for "completeness".

This post has been edited by xboxmods2977: Apr 19 2013, 12:45 AM

dsdork

• Archived User
Vga Cable
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 01:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(xboxmods2977 @ Apr 18 2013, 04:40 PM) *

Yes and no. Everything there is still the most up-to-date info that you need, but there has since been a discovery of a better sync separator chip. The LM1881 does not produce a 100% compatible sync signal (due to no horizontal sync output) and for this reason, some PC monitors would simply not work with the finished cable.

Better to use something like an EL1883 for sync separation, which has a real H Sync out (pin 7).

EDIT (For additional information):
No, you don't need the clock cap. You can remove it with no need to replace it other than for "completeness".

No clock cap +  using a EL1883 is great info to have, thanks!

dsdork

• Archived User
Vga Cable
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 07:35:00 AM »

The EL1883 seems to be SMD only at this point.  Is there really a big enough advantage over the LM1881 or are we talking about supporting a few odd, older PC monitors?

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
Vga Cable
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »

Most monitors within the last 10 years or so seem to work perfectly fine with the LM1881N, especially LCDs (with a few rare exceptions).

It seems that any monitor older than the last 10 years is a crapshoot, and would benefit from the EL1883.

The above is based on my personal experience, and from information I've received from other members.  wink.gif

dsdork

• Archived User
Vga Cable
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(FrostyTheSnowman @ Jul 24 2013, 04:59 PM) View Post

Most monitors within the last 10 years or so seem to work perfectly fine with the LM1881N, especially LCDs (with a few rare exceptions).

It seems that any monitor older than the last 10 years is a crapshoot, and would benefit from the EL1883.

The above is based on my personal experience, and from information I've received from other members.  wink.gif

Thanks for the info Frosty.  I've been using your VGA bios and am loving it!  I guess I'll give the LM1881N a shot.  I don't really need it but want to try to add a hardware Scanline Generator.

On another thread stealing note, do you know how small your M8+ VGA bios can go?  I modified it with evtool to remove the flubber, DVD check, and boot sound and can't seem to get it to work on a TSOP 1.2-1.5 because of the 256k size.  It works great at 512k and 1 meg.